Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Affordable active speaker?

After finally setting up my old original squeezebox Iíd like to place it neatly in a shelf, otherwise Iíll wonít get it past my girlfriend! Iíd like to pair it with an active speaker to cut down on clutter. With an eye to the future it would also be good if the speaker also incorporated Bluetooth as well as cable input.

Looking around the net it seems like there not a lot of affordable active bookshelf speakers available. Iím not looking for an audiophile experience just a reasonable single or stereo speaker setup so that I can finally enjoy my squeezebox.

Other than going the second hand route, does anyone know of such a speaker? I thought Iíd ask here in case was missing anything.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Set a budget and your approx loccation

It will stop folk wasting time

ronnie

Sorry, good point!

UK and around the £50 mark really. Unless that's totally not feasible. In which case, the cheapest options!

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1990 View Post
    Sorry, good point!

UK and around the £50 mark really. Unless that's totally not feasible. In which case, the cheapest options!
    Your best bet is probably to look for nearfield monitors intended for home studio use.
    They tend to be cheaper than "HiFi" products of similar performance, but on the downside can be less attractive in a domestic setting.
    And you'll not get active speakers at the price point you want anywhere else.
    Have a look on the Thomann website (https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nea..._monitors.html) for an idea of the kind of things available.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Alesis M1 USB speakers at around £75 are not bad and have USB in/out, aux and RCA so very flexible.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Since you specified that you are not looking for an audiophile experience, the Jam Symphony might be worth considering. No bluetooth, but it has Airplay compatibility as well as an aux input. I see it on amazon.co.uk for around £75. It sounds "good" in a commonplace, boomy way, with exaggerated bass. The companion Android app includes bass and treble controls, which can help tailor the sound.

I'm in the US, so the version I have differs slightly. I use it in LMS with the Airplay bridge. It's in a location where I keep it at low volume and I'm very pleased with its performance in that role. However, I paid much less for it when it was being closed out here.
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems I was a little off base with my initial cost thoughts!

£70 - £80 seems to be the absolute cheapest I'd be able to get away with. I did find some Hercules DJ branded near field monitors which seem to satisfy my spec (wired and bt) but again they're £80+. Looks like I'll be saving my pennies a while longer.

Perhaps in the interim I might go with a cheap (Ankor etc) portable speaker? Not ideal but I'd finally be able to start getting some use out of my squeezebox.

Does anyone have any good portable speaker feedback or suggestions?

Maybe have a wander down to

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/active-speakers.html

Look here for items for sale and info on specific models

https://www.soundonsound.com/readers...itors-speakers

Hi fi forum members often sell on stuff that might interest

and wander past Cash Convertors

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo1990 View Post
    ....Does anyone have any good portable speaker feedback or suggestions?
    I have no experience with this speaker, but it's the "budget pick" for portable bluetooth speakers on the Wirecutter site, and it appears to be on sale.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-S...ibit+xsound+go

a bit more info here:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...tooth-speaker/
    LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5 wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
    no high-end or esoteric audio gear
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired