Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

> Would it be preferred to still change the maxTarget to 8.* or 8.0.* with
    > the result that a lot of users reports problems with plugins if there is
    > some API change ?

I bet you'll have less reports than you got now. More people are asking
    "what happened to my favorite plugin?" then there are reports about
    issues with LMS8.

I can't guarantee this will be true for your plugins or for ever. But as
    of today there's imho no really breaking API change (if there ever was
    such a thing as a defined API :-)). The one change which _might_ cause
    some issues for your particular plugin is the fact that tracks returned
    by CLI queries (and low-level SQL, of course) could be remote using http
    urls rather than local files only.

> Or should I keep it as 7.* until 8.0 is getting closer to a release and
    > I’ve verified the plugins with 8.0 myself ?

Go for 8. If a user hits a problem, you'll at least know about it :-).
    Michael, is your opinion regarding this the same now when 8.0 is officially released ?

Basically, is it preferred that third party plugins are marked with maxTarget=* even if they havent been tested on the latest release and no longer is actively supported ?

Or do you prefer that we only have plugins in the standard repository files that is tested or at least is fixed by someone reasonably fast if an issue is found ?

Just asking because putting maxTarget=* in standard repository files might result in that people no longer can trust that plugins that can be installed in Plugins tab actually work. The risk is that someone would have to manage a separate compatibility matrix/list somewhere to give users an indication what works. While keeping it as 7.* instead result in that people are going to miss plugins that might work and have to manually install them or manually add a repository url that contains maxTarget=*.

I think Ive decided to provide a repository file with maxTarget=* for my plugins since Ive realized that I wont find the time to test them or fix any issues myself in the foreseeable future. So Im just wondering if I should do it in my standard repository file or if I should add a new untested repository people can add manually in their setup.

Any thoughts from you or someone else in the community ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

3rd party plugins and 8.0 ?

> Michael, is your opinion regarding this the same now when 8.0 is
    > officially released ?

Yes.

> Basically, is it preferred that third party plugins are marked with
    > maxTarget=* even if they haven’t been tested on the latest release and
    > no longer is actively supported ?

Put a big fat "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK", "YMMV" etc. in the description,
    then let them go. From what we've heard so far most users who installed
    your plugins manually are happy with them.

> Or do you prefer that we only have plugins in the standard repository
    > files that is tested or at least is fixed by someone reasonably fast if
    > an issue is found ?

That's really up to you: do you prefer complaints about the lack of the
    plugin over complaints about a bug? Tell the user what he's dealing
    with, but give him the opportunity to test ride the plugin. With a
    little luck there might even be a guy trying to fix an issue if he
    encounters one.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

> Or do you prefer that we only have plugins in the standard repository
    > files that is tested or at least is fixed by someone reasonably fast if
    > an issue is found ?

That's really up to you: do you prefer complaints about the lack of the
    plugin over complaints about a bug? Tell the user what he's dealing
    with, but give him the opportunity to test ride the plugin. With a
    little luck there might even be a guy trying to fix an issue if he
    encounters one.
    Thanks for the input.

My preference would be that someone else actively maintained the most important functionality from my plugins in 8.0. Handling patches means that Id still have to spend time I dont have on them. The easiest path is likely for someone to implement new simpler plugins with the most important functionality. Alternatively that someone provides a repository file with minTarget=8.0.0 under their name and takes responsibility for testing and maintenance of my existing plugins. If nobody does that it probably means that there arent much interest for the functionality.

The reason Id like someone else to actively maintain the functionality is that this would also mean that I in best case can get new functionality myself without having to spend time on it.

The best way to get the ball rolling regarding this seems to be that the plugins stop working or is as hard as possible to install. This would mean that someone providing something new wouldnt have to compete with an unsupported plugin.

Based on this Im now starting to think that I maybe should leave it as it is and see what happens. Will think a bit more about it before I make the final decision.

Is the plugin description from repository file shown in plugin tab for already installed plugins or is it just for plugins that havent been installed yet ? Just asking to get a feeling how to easiest inform users that upgrade LMS with plugins already installed that they are using an unsupported version.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    My install.xml have * in its maxVersion so its always possible for users to manually download and install my plugins.
    I thought this would be straightforward. I understand the distinction between the repository metadata and the install XML file. I am running on a Synology NAS DS428play, BTW.

So with confidence I have downloaded the three plugins I can't live without:

• TrackStat-3.3.602.zip
    • DynamicPlayList-2.10.247.zip
    • SQLPlayList-2.6.272.zip

BUT I must be missing something obvious about installing them. Do I need to manually SSH or FTP into the Synology filesystem? If so, how do I gain access to the application's plugin directory? I realize that pointing to Erland's repository is going to be futile unless and until someone updates the maxTarget parameter.

Is there a Synology guru here?

Quote Originally Posted by Goattee View Post
    I thought this would be straightforward. I understand the distinction between the repository metadata and the install XML file. I am running on a Synology NAS DS428play, BTW.

• TrackStat-3.3.602.zip

BUT I must be missing something obvious about installing them. Do I need to manually SSH or FTP into the Synology filesystem? If so, how do I gain access to the application's plugin directory? I realize that pointing to Erland's repository is going to be futile unless and until someone updates the maxTarget parameter.

Can you not just install from the plugins setting page, ticking the box at the very bottom to accept plugins that haven't been fully tested on LMS 8?
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by Goattee View Post

• TrackStat-3.3.602.zip

Did you get this sorted?
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Synology user here aka guru (master of none)

look within the LMS settings , information tab (default skin), or within material skin, select device settings of eg a squeezebox radio.
    There you'll find a few paths, i assume you're using docker? Look for a path, which has the term "Plugin" included, but NOT the term cache. Then map a path where your extracted plugin zip is located. The location should be a location, where Synology DSM can reach it. Eg. /volume1/docker/LMS/config

In my setup LMS has the folder path /lms/Plugins according to the information page

So at the end, within the Docker GUI map:

/volume1/docker/LMS/config/Plugin to the container folder /lms/Plugins

please check, that your plugin extracted zip has a folder which the plugin name only and nothing like pluginname.master

the second solution could be, that you select the check box "unsupported 3rd party plugins" (head down the plugin menu)
    After enabling and booting of LMS, you should be able to select those plugins like every other plugins
    Last edited by mamema; 2021-04-03 at 00:25.

Do Erlands plugins continue to work on 8. 2?

Has anyone using erlands plugins upgraded to LMS 8.2 and can say something about potential issues? Did the upgrade break anything?
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library

Quote Originally Posted by chaug View Post
    Has anyone using erlands plugins upgraded to LMS 8.2 and can say something about potential issues? Did the upgrade break anything?
    All OK for me so far, key ones being custom browse and custom scan.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    All OK for me so far, key ones being custom browse and custom scan.
    Good to know! For me, the essential one is Trackstat. Anyone who can confirm that it still works ob 8.2?
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library