Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    cache location is unlikely the reason. Tell us what you are playing when stuttering? local files (from what location?), streaming files (and are they hi-res?), etc.
    Just local flac from the usb drive. It was stuttering on the sb radio which is in another room. Connected wired via homeplug av. It only happened maybe 3 times in approx 30 minutes listening so once every 10 mins average.

Hi Stephen

I made the same switch as yourself about a year ago to RPi/Picore player, powering a WDC hard drive accessed across the network with Samba. It's a fantastic system IMO and generally works really smoothly and much better than when I had LMS on my Windows 10 machine. I run mainly flac files + Spotify. At first I had some random hard drive problems with files that just wouldn't show up on the Squeezebox. After advice on these forums I reformatted the drive from NTFS to Ext4 and it has worked brilliantly ever since. Another bit of advice I had was using Free File Sync, which works really well on the wired network and has no problems with the Ext4 format. I download new flac files onto Windows and then use Free File Sync to synchronize with the Pi/hard drive which is linked via ethernet and homeplug, meaning the music library is fully up to date on two drives. The final advice was adding the slimserver folder (cache and preferences) to the Samba shares so that it is accessible from Win 10 and therefore backed up onto your Win 10 machine for the day that the SD card in the Pi doesn't work. Just thought this might be helpful if you hadn't already discovered these. If you reformat to Ext 4 you no longer need the additional file systems on LMS set up

Jonathan
    Last edited by plasticator2; 2020-04-25 at 08:54. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by plasticator2 View Post
    Hi Stephen

I made the same switch as yourself about a year ago to RPi/Picore player, powering a WDC hard drive accessed across the network with Samba. It's a fantastic system IMO and generally works really smoothly and much better than when I had LMS on my Windows 10 machine. I run mainly flac files + Spotify. At first I had some random hard drive problems with files that just wouldn't show up on the Squeezebox. After advice on these forums I reformatted the drive from NTFS to Ext4 and it has worked brilliantly ever since. Another bit of advice I had was using Free File Sync, which works really well on the wired network and has no problems with the Ext4 format. I download new flac files onto Windows and then use Free File Sync to synchronize with the Pi/hard drive which is linked via ethernet and homeplug, meaning the music library is fully up to date on two drives. The final advice was adding the slimserver folder (cache and preferences) to the Samba shares so that it is accessible from Win 10 and therefore backed up onto your Win 10 machine for the day that the SD card in the Pi doesn't work. Just thought this might be helpful if you hadn't already discovered these. If you reformat to Ext 4 you no longer need the additional file systems on LMS set up

Jonathan
    I would reformat my external HD to ext4 if it wasn't for the prospect of having to transfer all my music files over the network afterwards. I know write speed to ext4 is faster than to NTFS but it would take a long time. If I bought another HD I might try it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk