Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS on Buster Lite

Evening All

Iíve been running my LMS server on a Pi4 using piCorePlayer for many months now and itís absolutely brilliant.

However, I was recently intrigued by mention of Pi-hole on another thread and realised that I wanted to give it a try. This I did using a spare Pi3 and all is good. And then I wondered about combining LMS and Pi-hole on the same Pi. I read that this canít be done using PiCorePlayer so I set about installing Buster Lite on a spare SD card. Many hours later and I have a working LMS installation and Pi-hole on the same machine but I must say that it was quite challenging as my Linux command line skills arenít great.

What I miss however, is the fantastic control piCorePlayer gives over the LMS installation. Even basic things like starting and stopping LMS require me to use Putty, I have a few questionsÖ

1. Using Putty to start and stop LMS I am using ďSudo service logitechmediaserver startĒ and ďSudo service logitechmediaserver stopĒ Is this correct?

2. Do I need to use these commands every time I close down the Pi? To shutdown I am using ďSudo haltĒ. Is this a violent way to shutdown which might potentially corrupt my LMS installation?

3. With piCorePlayer I am using the 64bit version but I wasnít sure how to do that using Buster Lite. Not sure it really matters a great deal anyway?

4. Iím not clear on how to update the LMS installation, itís currently running 7.9.3 which is fine for now.

5. What is the best way to clone a 32gb SD card?

6. Are there any other basic commands I should know about to keep things ticking along? Google has been very helpful with all of the various stages so I can keep plugging along.

Having said all of this I may just leave it as it is and continue running piCorePlayer and Pi-hole on two separate RPIs but that does seem a bit daft when the Pi4 is generally under utilised.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
    Ashley

I used to run LMS on the lite version of Raspbian, I now now use the Desktop Image

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

this has the advantage on a VNC server which allows easy remote access and card cloning. you can also put shortcuts on the Desktop for restarting LMS.

If LMS is installed correctly it should start when you power up the pi.

If you have Software updates turned on in LMS Settings you will receive notifications.

Using putty to shutdown

Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    or

Code:
    sudo poweroff
    Watch the pi for ten flashes on the green led, you can then unplug.

ronnie

I would not bother with the 64 bit kernel, everything is still 32 bit. If you want to explore further then look over on the raspberry pi forums, lots of info there.

If you have a smartphone you can put the shutdown command into an ssh app and use that to poweroff
    Last edited by Man in a van; 2020-02-18 at 10:23.

If you do decide to try the Desktop version you will need a 16gb SD card. You canít quite fit Raspbian desktop and LMS on an 8gb card without some pruning
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If you do decide to try the Desktop version you will need a 16gb SD card. You canít quite fit Raspbian desktop and LMS on an 8gb card without some pruning
    Oh yes you can

Name:  2020-02-18-174222_1680x1050_scrot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  106.4 KB

I do agree that 16gb is a good choice though, it's hard to find good 8gb cards these days

I only have a small library, so I run everthing on a 64gb card, there's room for a few bits and bobs programs

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Oh yes you can

Name:  2020-02-18-174222_1680x1050_scrot.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  106.4 KB
    I remember now. It was desktop, LMS and Git I couldnít quite fit on an 8gb
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I remember now. It was desktop, LMS and Git I couldnít quite fit on an 8gb
    yep, there are now two versions of the Desktop, one full fat and the other semi-skimmed , mind, if one was to add a lot of plugins, it would soon take up the room, I guess

Thanks chaps, that's all very useful.

Do you think that there is much of a hit to performance if using the desktop as opposed to the lite version of Buster? I only chose the lite version because it seems so much more efficient for an RPI which will always be used headless. Having said that, the ease of using a desktop interface does appeal. Ronnie, do you use the full fat or semi-skinned version?

Also, just to clarify, I should be closing down the LMS service before shutting down the RPI?

Ashley

HI Ashley

I use semi

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

I first used the Lite but the reduced version of the Desktop has a few useful extras and I just use VNC viewer to remote in whenever I need to.

I run it on a rpi4b (4gb) so no impact on performance

Whenever I want to do something it means I have to learn a little bit more, being a "bear of little brain" it does hurt a bit

I rarely stop LMS before shutting down, the correct cmd line stops the processes before shutdown.

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by acanning View Post
    Thanks chaps, that's all very useful.

Do you think that there is much of a hit to performance if using the desktop as opposed to the lite version of Buster? I only chose the lite version because it seems so much more efficient for an RPI which will always be used headless. Having said that, the ease of using a desktop interface does appeal. Ronnie, do you use the full fat or semi-skinned version?

Also, just to clarify, I should be closing down the LMS service before shutting down the RPI?

Ashley
    If you do
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now
    Then all processes (including LMS) should be closed down correctly before the system itself shuts down.

Personally I'd stick with piCorePlayer and put piHole on something else to try it - I've read mixed reviews.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom