Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Picoreplayer on Pi Zero performance

I've just installed picoreplayer on a pi zero w to work with my original squeezebox. I just threw a few albums onto an old 8gb usb stick to test it out and it connects up fine. I'd forgotten just how lovely the Squeezebox is actually!

I have a couple of questions though.

The performance is a little slow when accessing a new album, but there after the album is selected quite quickly. Does this indicate that a newer, bigger usb stick would be faster? Or is the relative performance of the Zero itself more likely to be to blame?

On that performance note, would a full fat pi like a 3 or 4 be a better way to go with using picoreplayer and avoid stutter? Perhaps paired with a SSD?

Lastly, I've looked up Spotify support, yet I'm not sure if it's still supported now? I don't have a paid Spotify sub so I'd just like to access their free service, with audio ads. Is this possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

A bigger USB stick wonĺt make any difference to the speed.
    My guess is that what is happening is that the first track that you play takes some time because RPi Zero is relatively slow and maybe the USB stick as well but subsequent tracks play without delay because tracks are preloaded by LMS before the end of the currently playing one.
    Using RPi3 or 4 will be faster.
    Using SSD will be faster again but the extra price per GB might not be worth it.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Oh and Spotify supported via Spotty plugin but requires paid account.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

@Paul Webster Thanks a lot for that. I'll stick with the Zero for now then and see how it goes. PiCoreplayer works remarkably welll with it considering the specs.