Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LMS on Raspberri PI

Hi All
    I have just managed to setup my old SB classic again with the LMS on a laptop. All is working well incl. Spotify.
    During my LMS setup searches I have read here and there a bit regarding setting up a LMS on Raspberry. For a long time I have been thinking to get a Raspberry Pi for Pi-Hole.
    Now would be the time for me to get both setup. Would someone be able to elaborate a bit how to go about it as I am thinking about a RB pi 4b??

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    Hi All
    I have just managed to setup my old SB classic again with the LMS on a laptop. All is working well incl. Spotify.
    During my LMS setup searches I have read here and there a bit regarding setting up a LMS on Raspberry. For a long time I have been thinking to get a Raspberry Pi for Pi-Hole.
    Now would be the time for me to get both setup. Would someone be able to elaborate a bit how to go about it as I am thinking about a RB pi 4b??

Thanks in advance
    There are several ways to run LMS on a Raspberry Pi. I've been using a Raspberry Pi model 3 as a server for some time now. In my case I have the music library on a NAS, and both the NAS and the PI are wired to the router. The Pi is running piCorePlayer - setup is quite easy and there are threads in the Linux/Unix forum here. See also http://www.picoreplayer.org/ I've found that keeping LMS and its plugins updated is very easy (easier than when I ran LMS on the NAS).

My Pi-based LMS server is just a Pi model 3 in a cheap plastic case that sits on top of the NAS. I have never used a Pi4, but I've read concerns about its running temperature so you may need to investigate different cases from that perspective.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

With a passive heat-sink type aluminium case rpi4 runs just fine with piCore/LMS (no Squeezelite).
    Even when upsamling with C-3PO to 24/192 it's about 50░C in room temperature 20-22░C.
    I have not tested with LMS & Squeezelite.
    Main system: Synology DS115j/RPi4B4GB(LMS)/RPi3B+[LnrPS](S.lite)/M2Tech EvoDAC Two+[LnrPS]/Densen DM20&30/Spendor SP2/3E
    Head-Fi: Schiit Vali2/Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Alum/Audeze Sine.
    Aditional HW: Allo DigiOne, iFi iDefender, iPurifier, iPower

thanks @Grumpy Bob and @DomieMic65
    our to be bought RBP? setup with the LMS will be on our Ethernet as well. To future proof the setup I am thinking to buy this.
    We are spotify subscribers as our local music collection is very small + we are regular radio listeners(international).
    On my searches I came across the Max2Play though have no idea yet how I can install this or any other LMS(or equivalent) on RBPi as I do not own such yet.
    Any other hints and suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    thanks @Grumpy Bob and @DomieMic65
    our to be bought RBP? setup with the LMS will be on our Ethernet as well. To future proof the setup I am thinking to buy this.
    We are spotify subscribers as our local music collection is very small + we are regular radio listeners(international).
    On my searches I came across the Max2Play though have no idea yet how I can install this or any other LMS(or equivalent) on RBPi as I do not own such yet.
    Any other hints and suggestions?

Thanks
    My 2p
    1. There is nothing wrong with Max2Play but there is more support here for piCorePlayer.
    2. If you are considering a Pi4 as purely an LMS server then there are cheaper cases available that include heatsink.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

For a pi4 I would recommend an aluminium FLIRC case as it's passively cooled and keeps temperatures to manageable levels. I tested mine with 100% CPU and GPU load, I think it topped out at ca. 60c, it runs at a steady 40c (ish) while hosting LMS and serving basic NAS duty (4 drive tower attached via USB 3).

I run LMS from the max2play image on a Pi 3 and Pi 4, others here may be able to suggest better solutions but for getting LMS up and running I find max2play very convenient: download the image, burn it onto the card, boot the pi and with some very basic configuration via web pages you're up and running.
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+ currently hosting LMS, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

Quote Originally Posted by leadears View Post
    For a pi4 I would recommend an aluminium FLIRC case as it's passively cooled and keeps temperatures to manageable levels. I tested mine with 100% CPU and GPU load, I think it topped out at ca. 60c, it runs at a steady 40c (ish) while hosting LMS and serving basic NAS duty (4 drive tower attached via USB 3).

I run LMS from the max2play image on a Pi 3 and Pi 4, others here may be able to suggest better solutions but for getting LMS up and running I find max2play very convenient: download the image, burn it onto the card, boot the pi and with some very basic configuration via web pages you're up and running.
    I used to use Max2Play but after getting a Pi4 and installing the Debian buster image I ran into problems updating the system to the latest temperature reducing kernel. Updating the system from the command line left it unable to boot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    I used to use Max2Play but after getting a Pi4 and installing the Debian buster image I ran into problems updating the system to the latest temperature reducing kernel. Updating the system from the command line left it unable to boot.

That's useful to know, I think I already picked up on the boot issue from your earlier (helpful) posts on getting musicip running on the Pi4. I'm kinda happy to leave mine running as it currently does all I want but of course there's potential fun ahead with updates. Can you recommend an alternative to Max2Play that solves the issue?
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+ currently hosting LMS, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

That's useful to know, I think I already picked up on the boot issue from your earlier (helpful) posts on getting musicip running on the Pi4. I'm kinda happy to leave mine running as it currently does all I want but of course there's potential fun ahead with updates. Can you recommend an alternative to Max2Play that solves the issue?
    See above from d6jg

If you want to use your Raspberry Pi for lots of other things as well (at the same time) then another alternative is to use plain Raspbian and install LMS on it from the .deb file
    The benefit of using pCP or Max2Play is that they spend their time making it easy to get upgrades that (usually) work without having to worry about things.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Plain Raspbian. You just need to install things like samba and hd-idle manually.