Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Duet Receiver vs Pi with DAC

Hi folks,

I've read in several threads how folks have replaced their dead Duet Receivers with Raspberry Pi's running piCorePlayer. Just a question out of curiosity: are there any benefits to doing that replacement now even before the Receiver dies? In other words is the Pi an "upgrade" one should consider doing because there's something so much better using a Pi rather than the "stock" receiver?

Related question: if I'm connecting a Pi receiver to a stereo system and speakers via RCA jacks, does adding a DAC (like the HiFiBerry) make enough of a sound quality difference to justify the "upgrade" to a Pi? Is the sound that much better than the "stock" receiver?

Jon T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
    Hi folks,
    Related question: if I'm connecting a Pi receiver to a stereo system and speakers via RCA jacks, does adding a DAC (like the HiFiBerry) make enough of a sound quality difference to justify the "upgrade" to a Pi? Is the sound that much better than the "stock" receiver?

Jon T.
    Hi Jon,
    I still remember moving from Duet receiver to Touch and improvement in sound quality was noticeable. Nowadays running a Pi with IQaudio DAC hat and think audio quality is in line with Touch (which is good).
    Main reason to move to Pi in my case was running server and player 24h without dependency on any other computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
    Hi folks,

I've read in several threads how folks have replaced their dead Duet Receivers with Raspberry Pi's running piCorePlayer. Just a question out of curiosity: are there any benefits to doing that replacement now even before the Receiver dies? In other words is the Pi an "upgrade" one should consider doing because there's something so much better using a Pi rather than the "stock" receiver?

Jon T.
    Highly unlikely to make a difference. Speaker placement and room acoustic treatments would be way more likely to make a difference. So if you're happy now, I'd do nothing. You can always replace the receiver when/if it dies.

If you play a lot of hi-res files, this could be a benefit for the rPi (as the duet receiver is limited to 24/48 files). As noted, another benefit is that you could run LMS on the rPi as well with a USB drive attached containing your local music files.

I would suggest a DAC hat for the rPi if you use one. I use the hifiberry DAC+ and it works well.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Hi Jon T

The Raspberry Pi 3 (or 4) is an upgrade over a Receiver, no doubt about that and the CPU is much more powerful, but - there are a couple of details ...

First, the Raspberry Pi needs an OS, like piCorePlayer, which in turn is much more powerful and better than what the Receiver has/can do. For example you can apply upsampling.

Second, the Raspberry Pi has a mini-jack analog output that sounds bad, so for the sound to be better than the Receiver you'll need to use the digital output (to an external DAC) or a DAC HAT module. Even the lower-end DAC HATs will give you a sonic improvement over the Receiver.

Here's my story with a Raspberry Pi and one of the available DAC's: http://www.cfuttrup.com/touch_upgrade.html

/Claus

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Highly unlikely to make a difference. Speaker placement and room acoustic treatments would be way more likely to make a difference. So if you're happy now, I'd do nothing. You can always replace the receiver when/if it dies.

If you play a lot of hi-res files, this could be a benefit for the rPi (as the duet receiver is limited to 24/48 files). As noted, another benefit is that you could run LMS on the rPi as well with a USB drive attached containing your local music files.

I would suggest a DAC hat for the rPi if you use one. I use the hifiberry DAC+ and it works well.
    When I say "unlikely to make a difference" I should clarify that I mean a difference in audio sound quality. the rPi with piCorePlayer and a DAC HaT has significant improvements over a duet receiver (as noted by others as well).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify