Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,086
    It "feels" like the player is running out of data for some tracks as player buffers are initially filled and then topped up as playing continues. If buffers cannot be topped up in time - player will stop.

    How is the SBT connected to LMS ? wired / wireless / extension / homeplug etc.

    Can failure be repeated everytime with a specific track ?

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    It "feels" like the player is running out of data for some tracks as player buffers are initially filled and then topped up as playing continues. If buffers cannot be topped up in time - player will stop.

    How is the SBT connected to LMS ? wired / wireless / extension / homeplug etc.

    Can failure be repeated everytime with a specific track ?
    Thanks for replying. My SBT is connected wireless to the router which is about 2m away. LMS is connected to the router via a wireless extender as further away.

    I did some more investigating last night and this morning.

    Firstly, a track that stops after 31 seconds will do it at the same point if I go back and play it again. However, if I play the track on my tablet, using Squeezeplay (Jive) to simulate an SBT, and therefore still using LMS, the track plays fine. This got me thinking.

    The tracks that stop have only ever been ALAC files, not FLAC. (Not sure why a Spotify file seemed to have done it once, can't replicate that)

    Looking at various forum posts, the SBT allegedly decodes ALAC badly, whilst my tablet presumably doesn't have a problem with ALAC.

    So I checked the configuration of LMS, and found that I had ALAC and FLAC both set to Native streams , which presumably means the decoding would be done locally in the SBT.

    I have changed the File Types configuration such that the ALAC files stream is disabled, and therefore presumably LMS goes to the next in the menu which is to stream ALAC as FLAC using faad/sox.

    Spotty streams are set to stream as FLAC using spotty.exe/flac

    There's a lot of 'presumably' here as I'm not totally sure how LMS works!

    Next step is to try again with a long playlist of both ALAC and FLAC files and see if it still occasionally stops at 31 seconds.


    Thanks for everyone's interest. If it fails again I'll be back, if not, I'll update the thread in a day or two.

    S.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
    Thanks for replying. My SBT is connected wireless to the router which is about 2m away. LMS is connected to the router via a wireless extender as further away.

    I did some more investigating last night and this morning.

    Firstly, a track that stops after 31 seconds will do it at the same point if I go back and play it again. However, if I play the track on my tablet, using Squeezeplay (Jive) to simulate an SBT, and therefore still using LMS, the track plays fine. This got me thinking.

    The tracks that stop have only ever been ALAC files, not FLAC. (Not sure why a Spotify file seemed to have done it once, can't replicate that)

    Looking at various forum posts, the SBT allegedly decodes ALAC badly, whilst my tablet presumably doesn't have a problem with ALAC.

    So I checked the configuration of LMS, and found that I had ALAC and FLAC both set to Native streams , which presumably means the decoding would be done locally in the SBT.

    I have changed the File Types configuration such that the ALAC files stream is disabled, and therefore presumably LMS goes to the next in the menu which is to stream ALAC as FLAC using faad/sox.

    Spotty streams are set to stream as FLAC using spotty.exe/flac

    There's a lot of 'presumably' here as I'm not totally sure how LMS works!

    Next step is to try again with a long playlist of both ALAC and FLAC files and see if it still occasionally stops at 31 seconds.


    Thanks for everyone's interest. If it fails again I'll be back, if not, I'll update the thread in a day or two.

    S.
    The network setup has many reason to worry. Wireless is a shared medium unlike wired. Wireless LMS often have problems. Wireless extensions generally halve bandwidth - another cause of problems.

    Closeness of device to router is no a recipe for success - for example a router with a simple single antenna (e.g straight up bar) have a doughnut broadcast so devices which are close to router and at same level can get poorer reception than device higher up and further away.

    I haven't checked recently but ALAC used to be played native when SBT use internal TinyLMS but because of issues with native playing, ALAC was transcoded when a full LMS is used. Flac will be played natively. So there may be a difference processing.

    Get a log of how LMS is handling ALAC - use player.source logging set to INFO and try to play one ALAC track.

  4. #14
    Well, it's been two days, and it hasn't gone wrong once, whether playing ALAC FLAC or Spotify.

    Still on 7.9.1, and with ALAC streaming disabled, so hope it's OK now. I've taken the LMS PC off the extender, and it's now running on the router direct, albeit still wifi as I can't get cables routed for ethernet.

    I'll leave it like this now, and try and upgrade to 7.9.2 if it doesn't misbehave in the next week or two.

    Ho hum.........

    S

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
    Well, it's been two days, and it hasn't gone wrong once, whether playing ALAC FLAC or Spotify.
    I would separate ALAC & Flac from Spotify when using a wireless LMS as whern using a wireless LMS there will be 2 wireless hops streaming unlike direct streaming from LMS to a player with one hop.

    Still on 7.9.1, and with ALAC streaming disabled, so hope it's OK now. I've taken the LMS PC off the extender, and it's now running on the router direct, albeit still wifi as I can't get cables routed for ethernet.

    I'll leave it like this now, and try and upgrade to 7.9.2 if it doesn't misbehave in the next week or two.

    Ho hum.........
    One of the reasons for asking about log was to see if there was something odd with ALAC handling - e.g transcoding to PCM. Disabling native SBT ALAC is probably a good idea as there used to be issues playing ALAC natively although not sure whether that changed sometime.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I would separate ALAC & Flac from Spotify when using a wireless LMS as whern using a wireless LMS there will be 2 wireless hops streaming unlike direct streaming from LMS to a player with one hop.

    That makes sense, but how do I do that?

    One of the reasons for asking about log was to see if there was something odd with ALAC handling - e.g transcoding to PCM. Disabling native SBT ALAC is probably a good idea as there used to be issues playing ALAC natively although not sure whether that changed sometime.
    If I've understood the logs correctly, they show ALAC streamed as FLAC. I haven't tried going back to the 'enabled' setting for ALAC streaming.

    S
    Last edited by Sergeauckland; 2020-02-18 at 15:16. Reason: incorrect quoting

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeauckland View Post
    That makes sense, but how do I do that?
    You can't - it is a network setup issue - streams comes Spotify will arrive at router go to LMS then go to router then to player, files streamed from LMS will go from LMS to router to player. This means twice as much wireless traffic and depending where the extender is there could be another hop - all sharing same bandwidth (i.e only one device can transmit at a time).

    I also meant you should treat the ALAC issue as totally separate from the Spotify one until there is clear evidence to show they are the same problem.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    You can't - it is a network setup issue - streams comes Spotify will arrive at router go to LMS then go to router then to player, files streamed from LMS will go from LMS to router to player. This means twice as much wireless traffic and depending where the extender is there could be another hop - all sharing same bandwidth (i.e only one device can transmit at a time).

    I also meant you should treat the ALAC issue as totally separate from the Spotify one until there is clear evidence to show they are the same problem.
    Thanks, I didn't think there was a way of separating Spotify traffic, now I understand you meant separate the issues, not the traffic😊

    Anyway, I've stopped using the extender so that's one less hop. If it starts misbehaving again, I'll have to monitor what else is on the network when it does it. We don't play games or stream video except occasionally iPlayer, so there shouldn't be much traffic except for my music.

    S

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •