Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Alsa mixer on picore - cannot save

I have a picore player which never remembers the level settings, which always start out too low...I adjust the volume, then forget how high it is, then switch to TV -- ouch says my ears !

I tried

alsactl store

but I get an error saying the state file is locked ...

file /var/lib/alsa/asound.state lock error: File exists

Would like to permanently assign levels --

THX
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1590417116 @ Tue May 26 04:13:57 CEST 2020
    Hostname: ubuntu-lms - ProxMox Virtual Environment 5.4-3 | Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP
    -----------------------------------------------

Put a sudo in front of that. But levels should be saved automatically....... if you are using USB, then there are some minor issues.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thanks ...

Yes - the DAC is USB ..

was logged in as tc ..used sudo and did not receive error, so must all be good --
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3 - 1590417116 @ Tue May 26 04:13:57 CEST 2020
    piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v6.0.0 | www v0005 | linux 4.19.105-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v10.3pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.6-1206-pCP

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
    Thanks ...

Yes - the DAC is USB ..

was logged in as tc ..used sudo and did not receive error, so must all be good --
    Not exactly, The File will not be restored due to the way 5.0.0 handles USB

From ssh run this command too.

sudo sed -i "s/\(ALSAlevelout=\).*/\1"Custom"/" /usr/local/etc/pcp/pcp.cfg

Then set your mixer

Then run : sudo alsactl store

Then run a backup: pcp bu

all set now --

Thank you for yur help - I applied change, rebooted picore and alsamixer settings still the same...

Would like to label this trhread SOLVED, but see no way to do so..

Regards,
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT

ALSAlevelout="Custom" sometimes does not work. I am using a 7.1 usb sound device and this method comes up as an error that the USB is not found (Must not be loaded yet.). Using "alsactl restore" in the user commands under tweaks seems to load it later in the boot and finds the card just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefyfish View Post
    ALSAlevelout="Custom" sometimes does not work. I am using a 7.1 usb sound device and this method comes up as an error that the USB is not found (Must not be loaded yet.). Using "alsactl restore" in the user commands under tweaks seems to load it later in the boot and finds the card just fine.
    What version of pCP? Later versions will retry loading the state until it succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    What version of pCP? Later versions will retry loading the state until it succeeds.
    Im using 5.0.1. I tried rebooting it 3 or 4 times and every time it set all volumes to 99 and the mic as input (even reset and saved it again). Then I checked the log and noticed it couldn't find the usb device. Using "alsactl restore" in command worked first time so that is how I left it. I am personally not worried about having to use "alsactl restore" but figured it could be good information in case someone else does have the same issue.

P.S. I am running a Pi 3 B+ with a 7.1 Vantec NBA-200U USB Adapter broken out into 8 individual monos with a modified asound feeding a whole home amplifier setup I built. With it also having multiple squeezelite instances running on the pi.
    Last edited by Beefyfish; 2020-02-15 at 14:09.