Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Is the only way to test your work to build myself? Or do you have any
    binaries to give a try?
    I have no binaries to try, and won't for quite a while. Hence my "request" to ralphy.

On the other hand, if your interest is purely practical, you can install the alternative lua "hacky" patch through erland's patch installer.

My repo is: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mrw-applets/repo.xml

Look for: Fix up misaligned and/or jittery text after horizontal scrolling, and you can join the very exclusive club of users whose Controller scrolling menus don't jitter.

Warning: the repo xml is on sourceforge. To quote myself from another context:
    I have found that occasionally the applet does not show up in the offered list. In this case, simply back out of the menu and retry. I believe that LMS (or sourceforge) is occasionally a bit tardy in assembling the list of applets.
    You may get the same problem with the patch. FWIW, I think the problem is sourceforge's tardiness, not LMS.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    I have no binaries to try, and won't for quite a while. Hence my "request" to ralphy.

On the other hand, if your interest is purely practical, you can install the alternative lua "hacky" patch through erland's patch installer.

My repo is: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...plets/repo.xml

Look for: Fix up misaligned and/or jittery text after horizontal scrolling, and you can join the very exclusive club of users whose Controller scrolling menus don't jitter.

Warning: the repo xml is on sourceforge. To quote myself from another context:

You may get the same problem with the patch. FWIW, I think the problem is sourceforge's tardiness, not LMS.
    I can't say I have ever noticed misaligned or jittery text after scrolling on the Controller. Scrolling isn't particularly smooth but the text always looks OK. In some of the menus it sometimes "bounces" for a time after scrolling. Is that related?

Edit. Just tried setting scroll mode to "scroll once and stop" but it still scrolls continuously.
    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by slartibartfast; 2020-04-09 at 02:35.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    In some of the menus it sometimes "bounces" for a time after scrolling. Is that related?
    Yes, "bounce" is, perhaps, a better description than "jittery".
    Edit:
    Regarding slight misalignment, apparent on all SqueezePlay. You may need to be suffering from OCD to observe it.
    I became aware of the misalignment when finding the cure for bounce/jitter.
    Last edited by mrw; 2020-04-09 at 03:28.

I also made an alternative source code patch, which I think may be a better approach for SqueezePlay generally. The lua script "hacky patch" is the only way to fix the firmware without a change to the binary. Better to fix the root problem, I think.

But... I haven't tested it for real, as I am not (yet) in a position to use modified jive binaries on my Controller or Radios. Would you be prepared to take on the testing challenge ?

Patch attached.
    Yes I can/will test your change. I can also build a regular squeezeplay package with the patch if you'd like. Just let me know what OS platform you'd prefer.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Is the only way to test your work to build myself? Or do you have any
    binaries to give a try?

--

Michael
    You don't need to build it. I've sent you an email with download details.
    Ralphy

Community Build Radio Firmware

> You don't need to build it. I've sent you an email with download
    > details.

Thanks a lot! Got it up and running. And it immediately showed a flaw in
    my LMS8 compatibility check: your firmware would still trigger the
    warning in LMS8 about using an incompatible firmware. That should be
    fixed now.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Yes I can/will test your change. I can also build a regular squeezeplay package with the patch if you'd like. Just let me know what OS platform you'd prefer.
    Thank you. The "obvious" platform is the Controller, meaning 'jive' as opposed to 'baby', I suppose. I've never tinkered with the Controller firmware, though.

Thank you. The "obvious" platform is the Controller, meaning 'jive' as opposed to 'baby', I suppose. I've never tinkered with the Controller firmware, though.
    Yes, but I wasn't sure. I've sent you a PM with download details.

While testing the controller firmware in qemu, as I don't own a controller, I noticed that wpa_supplicant was still even an older version than what was originally included with the radio so didn't recognize the country= setting in wpa_supplicant.conf. For now, I've removed the setting in git and controller firmware.

Listing the versions of wpa supplicant available to bitbake reveals two package names. The touch and controller recipes are using wpa-supplicant whereas the radio uses wpasupplicant.

Code:
    bitbake --show-versions | grep ^wpa
    wpa-supplicant                           0:0.5.8-r5                     
    wpasupplicant                              0:2.9-r0
    The jive_7.8.0_r16785 firmware still has the original 0.5.7 wpa_* binaries and includes your patch. Once I track down why the different packages perhaps you can try replacing just the wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli binaries with 2.9 to confirm they work okay. I'll dig my touch out of storage and try the updated ones there first.

At this point all my firmware builds have both ssh and telnet login access enabled by default. I did that while testing the dropbear updates in case they failed I could still login to the radio via telnet. I haven't pushed those changes as I intend to remove telnetd and disable remote login (ssh) by default as it is today in the official logitech firmware builds.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-04-11 at 07:14. Reason: wpa_supplicant is v0.5.7 not 0.5.8
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Yes, but I wasn't sure. I've sent you a PM with download details.
    Saw this after your PM.

To confirm: the patch works as expected, Controller bouncing/jittery scrolling menus are now gone, and a scrolling menu homes itself properly.

I'll look over your wpa observations and other points when time permits.

I'll look over your wpa observations and other points when time permits.
    Thanks. I've done a bit more digging.

The file adds an IMAGE_INSTALL config option.

If I rename poky/meta-squeezeos/packages/wpasupplicant to wpa-supplicant and all occurances in the recipe then I only get the latest version.

Code:
    bitbake --show-versions | grep ^wpa
    wpa-supplicant                             0:2.9-r0
    If I then rebuild the controller or touch firmware the image includes wpa supplicant 0.5.7 which is neither version listed. Turns out it's actually from marvell-wlan-tools-bin.

Code:
    # ./wpa_supplicant -v
    wpa_supplicant v0.5.7-MSI-1
    Copyright (c) 2003-2006, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@cc.hut.fi> and contributors
    So until I can test if v2.9 of wpa supplicant works on at least the touch both it and the controller will remain as is. This thread is about the radio firmware anyway.

I am going to leave the renamed wpa-supplicant in meta-squeezeos for now and change the baby.conf to IMAGE_INSTALL += "wpa-supplicant".
    Ralphy