Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    As regards 'a better way', I am getting the feeling that checking for wrap around might actually not be too onerous an approach. Would add some element of 'complexity' to the look of the code. There's a lot of places to examine, though.
    I agree, it's a lot of work just to avoid a reboot about once a month.

The Lua version 5.1.1 in LMS appears to differ from the downloadable tarball version 5.1.1 and the Lua website. So that hasn't helped me, I've probably been working off false assumptions.

LUA_TINT seems to drive matters. It's in the LMS version 5.1.1, and 5.1.5, but not in the Lua 'stock' 5.1.1.
    Yes I ran into that when upgrading lua from 5.1.1 to 5.1.5.
    In the end I applied the 5.1.2-5.1.5 lua release patch sets to the logitech lua 5.1.1 sources with only a few conflicts to resolve.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

cant get radio firmware to update

ive followed the instructions below but my radio never gets the new firmware - the update option on the radio only shows me the usual 7.7 release
    any advice?

my cache folder is
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache

and i put the 7.8 firmware files in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates
    ive rebooted the server many times, reset and restarted the radio, but no luck
    i also tried changing the file owner/permissions to rw and squeezeboxserver which is the owner of the other files already there

You need a local LMS and the radio should already be connected to it.

Find the cache folder path in the LMS settings->information tab near the bottom. Mine is /opt/logitechmediaserver/cache

Unzip baby_7.8.0_r16798.zip into the cache/updates folder and restart LMS.

I strongly suggest a factory reset of your radio BEFORE installing the custom firmware for the first time. After that, I've found it's not necessary.

A factory reset will delete all settings, applets and patch installer patches including the lms 8 connectivity patch.

Navigate to Home > Settings > Advanced > Factory Reset > Continue on the Radio to perform the factory reset.

After rebooting and completing the initial setup the radio will eventually prompt you to install the 7.8.0_r16798 firmware.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dunk View Post
    ive followed the instructions below but my radio never gets the new firmware - the update option on the radio only shows me the usual 7.7 release
    any advice?

my cache folder is
    /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache

and i put the 7.8 firmware files in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/updates
    ive rebooted the server many times, reset and restarted the radio, but no luck
    You can rename the new firmware files to custom.baby.bin and custom.baby.version and see if that works.

(Note: I was going to point to the relevant documentation on the wiki but it seems to have disappeared ?!?)

Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post
    You can rename the new firmware files to custom.baby.bin and custom.baby.version and see if that works.
    That probably wants to be in @ralphy's announcement post: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post995413

(It does work, I had forgotten too, so thanks for the reminder).

thanks - that did the trick ( i did have to change the owner from root to squeezeboxserver)

Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post

(Note: I was going to point to the relevant documentation on the wiki but it seems to have disappeared ?!?)

That probably wants to be in @ralphy's announcement post: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post995413

(It does work, I had forgotten too, so thanks for the reminder).
    Thanks. It's been added.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

instruction for dummies?

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post
    Here is the latest version of the 'wlanpoke' software Attachment 31691, which fixes some logging related bugs and includes expanded usage information especially helpful for Windows users. A few options have changed. Please read the manual. As usual your kind comments are welcome.

The software has been running for 10 days now, with 2 failed connetions, one from the AC adapter not conneced, the other unknown, however, the UI froze accessing Settings |Advanced |Diagnostics |Ethernet (with no cable attached). The radios seem to continue to play music during a failed connection and restoration, sometimes with a few second pause.

The log files have not pinpointed the cause of disconnection so far, but my analysis has not been exhaustive.

My next step is to instrument a radio located in one of the worst locations and see what I can see. The setup:

o A legacy RF spectrum analyzer and webcam combination to capture frequencies from below to above the 2.4 gHz WiFi band.
    o A WiFi sniffer adapter ideally reconfigured as a spectrum analyzer, and/or, at least listening to an access point.
    o A "tap" on the AP ethernet feed into WireShark to capture packets to and from the AP, with and without other AP clients connected.

This will if anything certainly produce a lot of data.

I would also like to try a recent version of wpa_supplicant, but my docker 7.8 build is failing at task 587 of 1140 (ID: 5, ů squeezeos-image.bb, do_configure). Also, examination of the "source for .63ö would be helpful.

Perhaps a forum administrator could make a new troubleshooting topic and move these related messages into the new topic.
    Thanks for your work but I don't understand the installation instruction. I guess we are many users of the Squeezebox radio that have the same problem. Could you please try to write an "instruction for dummies"?

wlanpoke simplified instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by mankan View Post
    Thanks for your work but I don't understand the installation instruction. I guess we are many users of the Squeezebox radio that have the same problem. Could you please try to write an "instruction for dummies"?
    Yes, I was concerned with this issue. This would be hard for me to do, because I don't know exactly what you and others don't know or understand. The installation requires reading the zipped 'manual.txt' file then use so-called command line tools like putty that typically only developers or IT professionals use. It would be great if someone else could write an "easy-manual" and make it available here and on the user's group forum.

(Also, a real package install might be helpful, but this software was intended as a temporary measure for use only until the underlying wireless lan connectivity issues are fixed. However, the project has stalled, as I am stuck and the other developers are occupied doing other more important work. Meanwhile, wlanpoke has reset wireless connections on 6 squeezebox radios here over 9000 times since September 25. The music, from internet sources, has continued to play. The LMS server has been rebooted a few times, and the radios have recovered on their own. No radios have required rebooting.)

What I can try to do is try to answer your and other's specific questions about the software, usage, and installation, or any topic, whether included in manual.txt or not, as best I can and include the questions and answers in a FAQ, and edit manual.txt to improve the text there. I request that you do this by starting a new topic under the user's forum, rather than in this topic, if you can. Please PM me so that I am aware of the new topic, which I can then follow.

The latest v of wlanpoke.sh (0.6.3)

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post
    Yes, I was concerned with this issue. This would be hard for me to do, because I don't know exactly what you and others don't know or understand.
    OK, so I'm late to the party here. For some or other reason, my one (1) SqueezeBox Radio has behaved quite well I have to say (even very good) -- up until 2 weeks ago. It has always been connected to my WiFi, it's a quite ordinary standard ISP OEM issue of this 5/2.4 GHz AP:

Technicolour TG799 VACxtream (it's a few years old by now so nothing strange or advanced)

Note: my SBR lives since years now in a very ugly, dense 2.4 GHz environment in an apartment block which is surrounded by offices as well having some powerful WLAN solutions... you can imagine. By sheer luck, everything has been stable enough for me to not suspect anything wrong at all with the SBR itself. After it started disconnecting all the time though, my trouble shooting efforts began. Went down the same route as so many others of you here on this Forum and in this thread have already done... Long story short I fairly quickly concluded that something must be wrong (a bug of some sort) inside the SBR :-( ) Any fix, any mitigation? I found the 2-3 forum threads here talking about the now very common issue. Since beginning of 2020, it is said.

I was very pleased to learn that there is a workaround (of sorts, combined with troubleshooting func): wlanpoke.sh. I downloaded it and have read it backwards and forwards, to make sure I at least understand it well enough to change it a little should I want/need to. I haven't yet uploaded and started it in my poor SBR.

I did make a no of cosmetic changes to make it easier to read around the t=trim --> p=prune option. (Not that I'm going to use it, I'll use the "standard" log rotate with 3). I thought it would make it simpler for others to read the sh code; I got confused about that bit "t" vs "p" more than anything else. I'll PM PMOdev with a patch (diff -c).
    I may be able to do some logging and trouble shooting by doing the TCP logging to my Windows PC, but no time right now so it'll have to wait so I'll start with running it -x.

/M

So I cannot even access my accounts CP (Control Panel) "permission denied".. and I can't find any way to use the PM system of this Forum. Maybe it's all disabled completely, and isn't supposed to work..?
    Attached is the diff mentioned in prev post of mine, created like so:

$diff -c wlanpoke.sh wlanpoke.sh.orig >wlanpoke.sh.diff
    Attached Files Attached Files