Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Starting new thread with simplified wlanpoke instructions

Quote Originally Posted by mankan View Post
    Thanks for your work but I don't understand the installation instruction. I guess we are many users of the Squeezebox radio that have the same problem. Could you please try to write an "instruction for dummies"?
    Hi mankan and POMdev. FYI, I have just started a new thread describing, step-by-step, how I installed wlanpoke on my Squeezebox Radios. The fix has restored their Wi-Fi connectivity. Good luck mankan and thank you, POMdev.

Integrating Simplified Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by rojikewl View Post
    Hi mankan and POMdev. FYI, I have just started a new thread describing, step-by-step, how I installed wlanpoke on my Squeezebox Radios. The fix has restored their Wi-Fi connectivity. Good luck mankan and thank you, POMdev.
    Thanks for this. I hope it helps those who prefer not to deal with the software's manual.txt's lengthy discussions and instructions.

The wlanpoke wireless connectivity loss mitigation software on GitHub has been unchanged since April ‎18, ‎2021 (‎Version 0.8.5.5) on the development branch, with the main branch (0.8.4.1) from April 8, and latest release the same 0.8.4.1. Your instructions download the main branch, which may or may not be ahead of the latest release at any point in time. Downloading the main branch has the great advantage of downloading a zip file with no version information in the file name, which means the instructions don't have to change much or at all for newer versions, unless some new version requires some additional or changed step, which is unlikely, since, for safety, the software by default opts out of most options (e.g., the web server).

Still, it may be a good idea to have dated and versioned simplified instructions on a wiki page or other public document, or as an attachment (zip file) on your forum topic in a post introducing a new instructions version. These would include any changes you wanted to make in response to a few pages of queries or comments on your forum topic.

Technical Issue Discussion

Answer to questions from Simplified-instructions-for-Squeezebox-Radio-Wi-Fi-fix

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999 View Post
    I am having some success with wlanpoke, but I tried to play music and after about 8 hours I got the red wifi symbol again. I checked the logs and during an attempt to reset the wifi, it showed the message "wlanpoke exiting" or something like that. ...
    This "wlanpoke exiting" issue can occur for a variety of reasons, most of them unknown. However, one reason is the existence of a WiFi access point SSID containing an apostrophe. This will always cause the current script to exit because the logging functions do not support an apostrophe (i.e., single quote) in a name, and the WiFi names are logged for troubleshooting. This is a limitation of the current software design, which failed to anticipate things like "Jack's WiFi" as a valid access point name, oops.

There is a proposed fix, which you can perhaps make yourself as a workaround, shown in a later message on https://github.com/PomDev2/wlanpoke/issues/7. This has not been included into the development or release packages because there have been a couple of other exiting occurrences which are/were being investigated, so far without success.

It looks like the development branch should be updated with this fix. To complicate matters, the development branch includes various options for fast reset, none of which are fully satisfactory, but which don't seem to cause any harm, either. This might be easier than simplified instructions for applying the workaround to the existing script. Yeah, I've talked myself into it. Look for the workaround in the development branch. If you don't care to use that branch, apply the workaround manually. Alternately, ask your neighbors to remove their apostrophes (single quotes) from their WiFi SSIDs.

A thread was started for simplified instructions, a worthy endeavor, but I'm afraid it is kind of messed up now with all this tech talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The back-porting sort of works, partially. However, while troubleshooting the code last April, I got the feeling that the driver was too low level, processing packets, and knew very little of the connection condition. The root cause of the failure seems to be in the way the chip firmware works, but this is completely closed source, including the chip documentation. This might be happening during the very (too?) frequent network channel scans. I would consider reverse engineering the firmware code, but, without the chip documentation and understanding of the registers and hardware, this is too daunting. Without manufacturer support, it doesn't seem practical. Accordingly, work on higher level software, such as the client and supplicant, might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post

This "wlanpoke exiting" issue can occur for a variety of reasons, most of them unknown. However, one reason is the existence of a WiFi access point SSID containing an apostrophe. This will always cause the current script to exit because the logging functions do not support an apostrophe (i.e., single quote) in a name, and the WiFi names are logged for troubleshooting. This is a limitation of the current software design, which failed to anticipate things like "Jack's WiFi" as a valid access point name, oops.

I have checked the logs and when it scans and lists all of the SSIDs that it finds, none of them have an apostrophe. The only type of special character I see in any of them is a dash "-" or a space.

The only issues I am really seeing with wlanpoke are:

1. Even with the default settings of 2 second pings, quick reset disabled, and 6 failed pings before a reset, I usually see the connection re-established well before the music stops playing. However 10 seconds or so after the connection is re-established, the music will pause for a while and a "rebuffering" message will appear. I would think that if the connection has been re-established, the music wouldn't need to stop.

2. wlanpoke exiting for no reason after a WIFI reset attempt. In the ncat tcp logs it says nothing but "wlanpoke exiting", but in the logs stored on the radio there was more info surrounding the exit, but by the time I got around to saving those logs, they had been overwritten.

3. The wlanpoke typically runs for a while before it has an issue, but the web server with info (I use the slow option) seems to fail with some regularity. I know that wlanpoke is still running because I can still see resets happening in the ncat tcp logs. I can SSH in to the radio and restart the web server and it will start working again.

BTW, thanks for all of the work on wlanpoke!

I have checked the logs and when it scans and lists all of the SSIDs that it finds, none of them have an apostrophe. The only type of special character I see in any of them is a dash "-" or a space.

The only issues I am really seeing with wlanpoke are:

1. Even with the default settings of 2 second pings, quick reset disabled, and 6 failed pings before a reset, I usually see the connection re-established well before the music stops playing. However 10 seconds or so after the connection is re-established, the music will pause for a while and a "rebuffering" message will appear. I would think that if the connection has been re-established, the music wouldn't need to stop.

2. wlanpoke exiting for no reason after a WIFI reset attempt. In the ncat tcp logs it says nothing but "wlanpoke exiting", but in the logs stored on the radio there was more info surrounding the exit, but by the time I got around to saving those logs, they had been overwritten.

3. The wlanpoke typically runs for a while before it has an issue, but the web server with info (I use the slow option) seems to fail with some regularity. I know that wlanpoke is still running because I can still see resets happening in the ncat tcp logs. I can SSH in to the radio and restart the web server and it will start working again.

BTW, thanks for all of the work on wlanpoke!
    Thank you for your detailed report:

...none of them have an apostrophe... The logs would not contain entries with a single quote (a.k.a. used as an apostrophe on a keyboard), because the single quote would cause a fault in the logging function, causing the script to exit before the log is written. An update is planned to address this limitation. To see an SSID with a single quote, use any other WiFi client, e.g., a cell phone.

...music will pause for a while and a "rebuffering" message ... How long is the pause? What is your signal level and connection speed? Once the connection is reestablished, there might be some additional processing to reestablish the music stream. Consider changing the 6 failed ping threshold to 3 failed pings to reduce the outage by about 8 seconds (2.6 seconds * 3 fewer ping trials), it may do the trick.

...wlanpoke exiting for no reason after a WIFI reset attempt.... Is the reset attempt from wlanpoke, or using the radio's UI? In any event, the script should not have a fault here. Any assistance in finding the fault would be very helpful. I was running the script in an ash shell with debugging enabled to catch an exit that only rarely happened, but it never did before the power failed and rebooted the radio and stopped the trial run.

...the web server with info (I use the slow option) seems to fail with some regularity.... Another user reported this as well on github. That was perhaps never resolved. It is quite a mystery. Too bad it doesn't happen here on my seven radios. For completeness, try the 'quick' option. You can get the full report, and refresh it to get the most up to date info.

There must be other users who try wlanpoke for whom it just doesn't work because of failures like this. Any assistance in debugging from those who experience these failures would be quite helpful.
    Last edited by POMdev; 2021-12-05 at 16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by POMdev View Post

...none of them have an apostrophe... The logs would not contain entries with a single quote (a.k.a. used as an apostrophe on a keyboard), because the single quote would cause a fault in the logging function, causing the script to exit before the log is written. An update is planned to address this limitation. To see an SSID with a single quote, use any other WiFi client, e.g., a cell phone.
    I have looked on my cell phone, laptop and other devices and haven't seen an apostrophe for any of the SSIDs in my area.

...music will pause for a while and a "rebuffering" message ... How long is the pause? What is your signal level and connection speed? Once the connection is reestablished, there might be some additional processing to reestablish the music stream. Consider changing the 6 failed ping threshold to 3 failed pings to reduce the outage by about 8 seconds (2.6 seconds * 3 fewer ping trials), it may do the trick.
    When this happened my signal level was good and reported in the log as:
    Quality:65/94 Signal level:-30 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm

I also had one instance where wlanpoke successfully reset the wifi link but the music stopped playing and never started again. The LMS server just showed the time line for the song going from 2:20 to about 2:26, then jumping back to 2:20 again and repeating. I just stopped the song playback on the radio (held down the pause) then hit play and it started playing again. I don't think this is anything associated with wlanpoke, but some issue with the radio and the LMS Server. I have seen this happen before (rarely) in the past.

I will try changing it to 3 failed pings. I noticed from the logs that several times there are 1 or 2 failed pings but no more and the radio continues to work, but almost 100% of the time if there were more than 2 failed pings, it went all the way to 6 and triggered a reset. So I agree that 3 will probably be ideal for me. Is there any point in changing the ping time from the default 2 to 1 second? With it set at 2 it is closer to 2.5-3.0 seconds like you said, so I am not sure changing to 1 would shorten the time that much.

...wlanpoke exiting for no reason after a WIFI reset attempt.... Is the reset attempt from wlanpoke, or using the radio's UI? In any event, the script should not have a fault here. Any assistance in finding the fault would be very helpful. I was running the script in an ash shell with debugging enabled to catch an exit that only rarely happened, but it never did before the power failed and rebooted the radio and stopped the trial run.
    It was a wlanpoke reset attempt. I will set things back up and be sure to capture the the more detailed log that is stored on the radio this time. At the time I hadn't read through the manual file yet and wasn't aware that those had a limited size and I would lose the data after a while. So far I have only had 2 wlanpoke exits. One was within 8 hours of playing music, and the other was after 3 days of being on, but not playing music.

...the web server with info (I use the slow option) seems to fail with some regularity.... Another user reported this as well on github. That was perhaps never resolved. It is quite a mystery. Too bad it doesn't happen here on my seven radios. For completeness, try the 'quick' option. You can get the full report, and refresh it to get the most up to date info.
    Ok, I will try the quick option.

I saw one person say they couldn't get wlanpoke to work for them until they added the -X option to disable the tcp logging. If you do not have -X (so logging is on) but you do not have anything receiving the log on the LMS server, does this typically cause problems? I do have ncat running on the LMS server, but I was just curious about this.

I have looked on my cell phone, laptop and other devices and haven't seen an apostrophe for any of the SSIDs in my area.
    Ok, so the script if failing for another reason. The so-far noted reasons for exiting after running for a while have been a "sh: =11: bad number...arithmetic syntax error" and failing to launch the ping (radio out of resources?). The script is designed to exit immediately after launch if there are certain problems with its configuration, which is why the original (not simplified) instructions are to test launch it from the ssh shell.

...Quality:65/94 Signal level:-30 dBm...
    A very (too?) strong signal. If the music plays for ~10 seconds then pauses, this is odd. You would have to troubleshoot the connection handshakes somehow. What was the source? Are other sources more responsive? Other radios synced to this one, with another radio failing, might be an issue (although not consistently 10 seconds after resumption)?

--- Hello Developers: In light of the WiFi Connectivity Issue, it might be a good idea to review the synchronization code to see if it could be made more robust to radio connection dropouts... ---

I also had one instance where wlanpoke successfully reset the wifi link but the music stopped playing and never started again.
    This happens here from time to time, and has happened well before the connectivity loss started.

I will try changing it to 3 failed pings. ... Is there any point in changing the ping time from the default 2 to 1 second? ...
    I don't think so. It would just save about one second out of 40, a minor improvement at the risk of additional bugs, etc., including taking more time away from the player. The current software has been tested fairly widely, and works mostly, and sometimes fails or just doesn't work. With a record like that, I believe the focus should be on reliability first and then a reliable quick reset method, which could save a lot of outage time. See the development branch.

... I will set things back up and be sure to capture the the more detailed log that is stored on the radio this time. At the time I hadn't read through the manual file yet and wasn't aware that those had a limited size and I would lose the data after a while.
    The size and log file location is configurable. It was set to be fairly modest, less than the radio's own logs, but it can be much larger. However, I don't think the logs will help with the exit issue. The exiting entry is particularly unhelpful. What is helpful is a serial connection and launching the script from the console, and the "ash -x" debugging launch with its massive output piped to another process piping it to your desktop. See github.

So far I have only had 2 wlanpoke exits. One was within 8 hours of playing music, and the other was after 3 days of being on, but not playing music.
    "only 2" is 2 too many, and too frequent. I sort of wish one of my radios did this, I could perhaps find the issue.

Ok, I will try the quick option.
    The "web server" should not fail. This is a clue, but has not led to a solution so far.

I saw one person say they couldn't get wlanpoke to work for them until they added the -X option to disable the tcp logging. If you do not have -X (so logging is on) but you do not have anything receiving the log on the LMS server, does this typically cause problems? I do have ncat running on the LMS server, but I was just curious about this.
    I believe it could cause problems with the software waiting for a failed connection to the server, although the case of a failed server and failed receiving nc or ncat has been tested, but perhaps not enough.

Also, not every invocation of the nc reporting is turned off by -x (lower case), so in three cases (2 in wpa_cli_check() and after the gateway comes up, the others don't matter) an nc report is attempted anyway, potentially causing more problems. These nc invocations should immediately fail with a "can't connect to remote host" message, but, for completeness, those calls could also be disabled.

Thanks for your troubleshooting help.

Does anyone who has WLANPOKE experience have any idea if this will work effectively on a radio that is synced with five other players via the same server?

I have a radio that is failing exactly as described and I'd like to try wlanpoke as a circumvention, but not if its going to mess up the syncronization.

Cheers!
    ---------------------------
    https://ctproduced.com < Creed Taylor/CTI/KUDU
    http://markcathcart.com/about

Running LMS Server, currently v8.0.0, (1600976618) on Headless WIN10 System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.

Quote Originally Posted by cathcam View Post
    Does anyone who has WLANPOKE experience have any idea if this will work effectively on a radio that is synced with five other players via the same server?

I have a radio that is failing exactly as described and I'd like to try wlanpoke as a circumvention, but not if its going to mess up the syncronization.

Cheers!
    I am currently listening (streaming) music to three SB Radios. One of the radios has wlanpoke and I have not experienced any problems with synchronization.

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I am currently listening (streaming) music to three SB Radios. One of the radios has wlanpoke and I have not experienced any problems with synchronization.
    Cheers!

I've installed wlanpoke on the radio and rebooted, started a 10-hour holiday playlist, fingers crossed!
    ---------------------------
    https://ctproduced.com < Creed Taylor/CTI/KUDU
    http://markcathcart.com/about

Running LMS Server, currently v8.0.0, (1600976618) on Headless WIN10 System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio), Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.