Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Community Build Radio Firmware

Carrying on the radio firmware build discussion from the Bass Amp Problem thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Will do. But expect patchy responses as I have some family matters to deal with over the next few weeks.
    I'll load it onto one of my Radios. Certainly worth checking.
    No worries. Thanks.

I have Squeezeplay 7.8.0 running without ogg/flac (i.e. on the 7.7.3 r16676 binaries) on one of my Radios. Needs a 'hack' to Jive.lua to report itself to LMS as 7.8.0 r_whatever because the version is baked into the jive binary, and one or two (I think) of the 7.7.3 -> 7.8.0 patches need this to work. (Update context-menu styles to use icons for playlist control actions. and Task B0020: Player control over UDP). I'd be surprised if the lua enhancements were the cause of higher cpu usage, but I haven't checked. I'll try and look at that.
    I had the same issue as I'd committed my changed to git in the 7.7 branch and it increased the revision number. I used bvi to modified the version strings in the jive binary to match the original firmware version.

I'm still testing the 7.7 aac decoder changes on my one radio, so I haven't explored the possible performance degradation I perceived. But I'd agree that the lua changes do seem unlikely to be the cause. Or that there is really a difference.

One point: I think it advisable that you merge the 7.7 tree into 7.8 to catch that last "baby only" patch, if you haven't already. (Baby only - ignore firmware older than SR to SB migration firmware (7.7.3 r16667)). I suspect that it is there to prevent a "converted to LMS Smart Radio" from inadvertently downgrading to an earlier firmware that doesn't recognize the Smart Radio hardware (revision 8 ?).
    No. I hadn't noticed that that change was missing from the 7.8 branch. I've forked the logitech squeezeos repo and will merge 7.7 and continue all further development on 7.8 as the 7.7 changes are available in the source tarball from a few days ago and were really only to confirm the aac changes were doable.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-02-13 at 08:21.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    No worries. Thanks.
    I found a moment. In poky/build/conf/local.conf I have:

Code:
    +#MACHINE ?= "jive"
    +MACHINE ?= "baby"
    and
    Code:
    +#TMPDIR = "${OEROOT}/build/tmp-${MACHINE}"
    +TMPDIR = "/opt/parabuild/etc/build/b97620co/a/u/t/o/poky/build/tmp-${MACHINE}"
    I cannot remember whether I did that manually, or when using one of the poky/parabuild scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I had the same issue as I'd committed my changed to git in the 7.7 branch and it increased the revision number.
    My lua script hack to Jive.lua is this:
    Code:
    -- Fix Squeezeplay version to 7.8.0
    _G["jive"].JIVE_VERSION = "7.8.0 r16677"

-- stuff we use
    local math          = require("math")
    local os            = require("os")
    local coroutine     = require("coroutine")
    etc
    By prepending at this point it seems to execute early enough to influence all lua scripts. I don't think the binary accesses it other than to print a start up message. Perhaps a useful hack to have in the tool box.

That's much easier. Thanks for the build path change.

I haven't been able to find the commit for Baby only - ignore firmware older than SR to SB migration firmware (7.7.3 r16667).

Merging 7.7 into 7.8 committed no changes.
    Ralphy

I'm not sure what you're not seeing.

Git commit:
    https://github.com/Logitech/squeezep...e4da8fc255666d

Screenshot of github with 7.7 branch in view attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Because I was looking in the squeezeos repository not squeezeplay. Thanks!
    Ralphy

Success running a 7.8.0 build on my radio and so far the results have been positive.

To be able to make trackable updates to the various subsystems, I've moved to forks of the logitech repositories. I removed the aac and random album menu patches from the squeezeos squeezeplay recipe and committed them to the logitech squeezeplay fork, where they really belong.

The baby dsp module loads and works with the new firmware. The default buffer should be changed to 30ms (29991) and 3 periods instead of the current default 20/2, based on mrw's findings in the Bass Amp Problem thread.

As an extra safety net, I temporarily re-enabled the telnet daemon so you can connect to the radio using telnet as well and ssh, which is also enabled by default. I have not committed these 2 changes.

Rhapsody (Rhap) is another missing features in the community build verses stock as indicated by the capabilities squeezeplay publishes to LMS at startup. Spotify (spt,spdr,Spdirect=spotify) and Windows Media (wma,wmap,wmal) were previously noted. Ogg/flac (ogf) support has been flawless so far with the Radio Paradise flac stream, which I would expect as support has been in the touch firmware for ages.

Logitech 7.7.3-r16676.
    Code:
    Model=baby,ModelName=Squeezebox Radio,Firmware=7.7.3-r16676,Rhap,alc,wma,wmap,wmal,aac,spt,ogg,flc,aif,pcm,mp3,MaxSampleRate=48000,AccuratePlayPoints,spdr,Spdirect=spotify,ImmediateCrossfade,test,Rtmp=2,Proxy=192.168.7.231:9001
    Community 7.8.0-r16764
    Code:
    Model=baby,ModelName=Squeezebox Radio,Firmware=7.8.0r16764,alc,aac,ogg,ogf,flc,aif,pcm,mp3,MaxSampleRate=48000,AccuratePlayPoints,ImmediateCrossfade,test,Rtmp=2,Proxy=192.168.7.231:9001
    Performance of the radio with 7.8 has been on par with the previous 7.7. It's unclear what I was experiencing previously with the 7.8 test jive binary running on a 7.7 firmware.

The openssh library 0.9.8g needs to be updated, but that requires a lot of qemu testing before flashing it to the radio.

The radio does support rolling back one firmware version;

1) Turn Radio off: Press & hold the power button till you see "Goodbye"
    2) Turn back on: Press & hold REW and PWR buttons simultaneously.

I have not needed to resort to using it so far, thankfully.

More testing is required before I'd consider making the build available to everyone. I have not tried to downgrade the radio back to the stock firmware yet so I can't confirm it's even possible at the moment. But as long as you only flash the radio once, you should be able to revert to 7.7 using the roll back procedure.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-02-16 at 09:07. Reason: Added squeezeplay repo url
    Ralphy

Version #?

What was the last supported firmware number for squeezeboxes?

Community Build Radio Firmware

> What was the last supported firmware number for squeezeboxes?

What SB model? Supported by what?

--

Michael

For anyone trying to setup a poky build environment I've uploaded 20200213-updated-utilities-i386.tar.gz to my sourceforge site.
    The file contains 32-bit curl-7.52.1 git-2.25.0 openssl-1.1.1d wget-1.18 to allow bitbake to consistantly download the sources successfully for squeezeos builds.

I use Ubuntu 10.4.04 i386 for my build environment which was current when the poky environment used to build the firmware was released.

Extract the file in /usr/local as root

sudo tar -x -z -C /usr/local -f 20200213-updated-utilities-i386.tar.gz

I'd suggest using a non-root user for building the firmware.
    Ralphy

Hi,

i successfully build and upgrade firmware of squeezebox radio, by building
    Code:
     https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezeos
    reposiory.
    I used Ubuntu 12.04 otherwise I got a lot of errors related to https and old cypher suite with openssl of ubuntu 10.04 (OMG it was 10 years ago !)
    I had to fix few errors during the build :
    * squeezeplay-baby recipe was not found
    * I got errors during opkg native build so i added few more patches.
    * A lot of tarballs were not found, so i find theme and directly downloaded theml in sources directory.

Setting up an ubuntu 10.04 is not so easy these days, so i setup a Docker for it. You can find it here with few more fixes.
    Code:
    https://github.com/naguirre/squeezeos/tree/dev/nae/docker
    I agree that it's not really interresting for now to be able to flash our own firmware, but well it was a lot of fun :-)