Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raspberry Pi w/screen as dedicated controller?

Hi-

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a dedicated controller.

I currently have a ELAN system that's very very dated and I'd like to update or upgrade the system with LMS, PiCorePlayer(s) and some dedicated 7" controllers that will be wall mounted where the elan controllers are currently mounted. My current ELAN controllers are connected by cat5 ethernet so I'd use the existing ethernet for the controllers. The PiCorePlayers would be located in a central location with access to cat6, cat5e, speaker wiring and amps for the whole house system.

Is there a dedicated Jivelite controller distribution anywhere or is this something I'd have to roll on my own? I did read through @chill thread, Javelite on a Joggler, and figured that's probably the avenue to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    Hi-

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a dedicated controller.

I currently have a ELAN system that's very very dated and I'd like to update or upgrade the system with LMS, PiCorePlayer(s) and some dedicated 7" controllers that will be wall mounted where the elan controllers are currently mounted. My current ELAN controllers are connected by cat5 ethernet so I'd use the existing ethernet for the controllers. The PiCorePlayers would be located in a central location with access to cat6, cat5e, speaker wiring and amps for the whole house system.

Is there a dedicated Jivelite controller distribution anywhere or is this something I'd have to roll on my own? I did read through @chill thread, Javelite on a Joggler, and figured that's probably the avenue to go.
    Jogglers are very rare to find these days ....
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pCP with a touchscreen and JiveLite but without running Squeezelite.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

For the original 7" Pi Display together with a Pi you can eg. use the SmartiPi Case: https://smarticase.com/ to mount it on the wall.

Perhaps start from a different viewpoint.
    What screen or tablet can you find decent wall mounts for?
    For example you could get an Android tablet with a nice wall mount and run Material on it in app mode or an iPad etc
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Top of the range mounts for various devices
    https://www.vidabox.com/kiosks_uk/vi...2-3-white.html
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Ok.. that sounds super simple (could be fooling myself). Is it a matter of just not installing Squeezelite or do I just remove it? I haven't played with pCP yet. The two pi's I have are currently used for brewpi and I had volumino running.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Those look great, but will probably go with Rasberry Pi and 7" screen. I do have an old ipad, but I want everything the same within every room as we have 8 control zones. I don't want anything else running on the screen but Jivelite, unless it's in the background, since it's dedicated to this purpose. Has to be super simple to use or I'll get never ending complaints from my wife.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Ok.. that sounds super simple (could be fooling myself). Is it a matter of just not installing Squeezelite or do I just remove it? I haven't played with pCP yet. The two pi's I have are currently used for brewpi and I had volumino running.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Those look great, but will probably go with Rasberry Pi and 7" screen. I do have an old ipad, but I want everything the same within every room as we have 8 control zones. I don't want anything else running on the screen but Jivelite, unless it's in the background, since it's dedicated to this purpose. Has to be super simple to use or I'll get never ending complaints from my wife.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Peter

I use tablets all over my house this is what I did 2 years back, still working great.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...d10-with-alexa

Very easy to remove if needed and easy to upgrade also.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tried

Submitted a post thanking you guys and other info but it didn't post. I tried 3 times and it never showed-up. No profanity or anything either so not sure what's up.

So a key aspect is POE and I don't need a bit 10" screen or what on my wall.