Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Accessing Vortexbox FLAC files with a raspberry pi...is this possible?

I have a Vortexbox appliance that runs LMS 7.9.1 and houses my FLAC files. It appears unlikely that LMS will ever be updated through the GUI's "Vortexbox Update" procedure. For this reason (and out of sheer inquisitiveness) I intend to obtain a raspberry pi on which I can install the latest version of LMS.

I have a question that I hope you'll be able to help me with: Given that the Vortexbox appliance houses all of my FLAC files, will it be possible for me to use the raspberry pi (which will be running LMS 7.9.2 or later) to access the FLAC files on the Vortexbox appliance?

If so, how would I go about doing this?

If not, could I copy the FLAC files to a USB drive that I could then connect to the raspberry pi and access the files that way? And if this is my best--or only--option to gain access to the files, can you point me to any special procedures that would be needed to accomplish this?

Many thanks in advance for your information and advice.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by radish112 View Post
    I have a Vortexbox appliance that runs LMS 7.9.1 and houses my FLAC files. It appears unlikely that LMS will ever be updated through the GUI's "Vortexbox Update" procedure. For this reason (and out of sheer inquisitiveness) I intend to obtain a raspberry pi on which I can install the latest version of LMS.

I have a question that I hope you'll be able to help me with: Given that the Vortexbox appliance houses all of my FLAC files, will it be possible for me to use the raspberry pi (which will be running LMS 7.9.2 or later) to access the FLAC files on the Vortexbox appliance?

If not, could I copy the FLAC files to a USB drive that I could then connect to the raspberry pi and access the files that way? And if this is my best--or only--option to gain access to the files, can you point me to any special procedures that would be needed to accomplish this?

Steve
    not sure about first question, but for copying the FLAC files from you VB, just connect a large enough USB drive to the VB, and in the VB webGUI select Backup option and backup all the FLAC files to your USB drive. Then this USB drive can simply be connected to your rPi.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Steve
    Yes. Is the short answer.

The music files on a VB are stored in /storage which is accessible via Samba from a Windows PC as

\\VB-IPaddress\files - read/write

or

\\VB-IPaddress\music_readonly - in read only

Name:  2020-02-12 16_12_40-10.0.0.11.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  9.0 KB

You can easily mount those shares using a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer with LMS. It is well documented.

Alternatively you can install NFS onto the VB if its not already there (it probably is) and mount the /storage share on the Pi.

I have done this the other way round as well. I still run a VB as a Production Server but have relocated /storage to a NAS.
    I also have a number of LMS installs on Pi which use the same files on the same NAS.

However I should add that my Vortexbox runs 7.9.2 - the procedure to do this is documented somewhere on the VB forum.
    I fully expect to be able to further upgrade it to 8.0 when the time comes.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2020-02-12 at 09:22.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

garym and d6jg,

Many thanks for you quick and helpful replies.

I'll likely order a rPi 3B+ and hifiberry Dac+Pro soon. I'm hopeful I'll be able to stumble through the steps for accessing the Vortexbox files.

I also appreciate the link to updating Vortexbox 2.4 to 7.9.x nightly, which presents another option that I have wondered about.

Cheers,

Steve

You can also run LMS on rPi 3B+ using PiCorePlayer. Then you won’t need VB at all.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You can also run LMS on rPi 3B+ using PiCorePlayer. Then you won’t need VB at all.
    Yep, that's my plan...I just want to be able to access the FLAC files that are on the VB appliance

Yep, that's my plan...I just want to be able to access the FLAC files that are on the VB appliance
    I would skip this. Put the files on a usb drive and attach directly to rPi.
    ps. If your only copy of files is on the VB you’re asking for trouble. Backups are essential.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I would skip this. Put the files on a usb drive and attach directly to rPi.
    ps. If your only copy of files is on the VB you’re asking for trouble. Backups are essential.
    Sounds like a plan.

Yes, all of my VB files are backed up weekly to a WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive.

I'm ok with buying another usb drive to connect to the rpi, BUT how will I keep the two drives in sync. (I'm currently accessing the VB FLAC files with my SB Touch, and when I rip CDs with dBpoweramp those files are placed in the FLAC directory of the VB appliance, which I can access via Windows 10 on my laptop computer. Then those files are available to the SB Touch.)

Very happy to be getting feedback...

Sounds like a plan.

Yes, all of my VB files are backed up weekly to a WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive.

I'm ok with buying another usb drive to connect to the rpi, BUT how will I keep the two drives in sync. (I'm currently accessing the VB FLAC files with my SB Touch, and when I rip CDs with dBpoweramp those files are placed in the FLAC directory of the VB appliance, which I can access via Windows 10 on my laptop computer. Then those files are available to the SB Touch.)

Very happy to be getting feedback...
    many different methods. I use "freefilesync" to keep a number of drives in sync across my home, my office, and several for just backup purposes.