Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    There's a pref in Settings/Player/Audio to define the startup behaviour.
    Whether playback should resume or not. What is this set to? You'd have
    to check all players.

--

Michael
    I remember checking this before, it is pause/resume which I believe is default. Good point that I can change it to stop/remain stopped to prevent night parties due to power. Curious, what is the difference between pause and stop?

However, that would address power interruptions. When it happened I was on the computer, listening to a radio, no interruption. So, not house power, but, I suppose an intermittent PS on either device could cause the event.

Jim

Spontaneous turning-on

> I remember checking this before, it is pause/resume which I believe is
    > default. Good point that I can change it to stop/remain stopped to
    > prevent night parties due to power. Curious, what is the difference
    > between pause and stop?

Pause would pause and later on resume wherever you paused it (if
    possible). Whereas stop would always cause streaming to be resumed from
    the track's beginning.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Pause would pause and later on resume wherever you paused it (if
    possible). Whereas stop would always cause streaming to be resumed from
    the track's beginning.

--

Michael
    thanks Michael, so with an internet radio stream stop = pause I would assume

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I remember checking this before, it is pause/resume which I believe is default. Good point that I can change it to stop/remain stopped to prevent night parties due to power. Curious, what is the difference between pause and stop?

However, that would address power interruptions. When it happened I was on the computer, listening to a radio, no interruption. So, not house power, but, I suppose an intermittent PS on either device could cause the event.

Jim
    Maybe a reboot is treated the same as a power interruption. Before I changed my power on resume settings one of my Radios started playing "spontaneously". It is plugged in but also has a battery so no chance of power interruption. I think it must have been a reboot. I see reboots occasionally but nowhere near once a month. Is there an internal log on Radios and Touches that would record any reboots?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    Just happened with a touch and receiver.
    Hmm. Just a guess: Did you both re-connect them to power somewhere around January 6/7/8. ? Let's say after being back from some holidays?
    Were they switched off before / around new year?
    1x Squeezebox Classic, 3x Radio, 1x Touch, LMS 7.9.1 running on ODROID-U3, Ubuntu 16.04 and I'm happy with it! :)

Buggy Timer code

Hmmm, ok, I just looked a bit around in some source code and stumbled across code that is exactly what I'm talking about:
    Code:
    	while timers[1] and timers[1].expires <= now do
    see
    https://github.com/ralph-irving/jive...Timer.lua#L177

see also my reply #7.

Digging deeper into the code reveals that "now" comes from Jive's Framework::getTicks() which is a 32bit timer with 1ms resolution, thus running at 1000Hz, thus it is prone to bugs related to its wrapping after 49.7 days or even after 24.8 days if the value is dealt as a signed value.

I'm pretty sure now that this is related to the cause of the spontaneous reboots.
    Last edited by Steevee28; 2020-02-27 at 01:22.
    1x Squeezebox Classic, 3x Radio, 1x Touch, LMS 7.9.1 running on ODROID-U3, Ubuntu 16.04 and I'm happy with it! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee28 View Post
    Hmm. Just a guess: Did you both re-connect them to power somewhere around January 6/7/8. ? Let's say after being back from some holidays?
    Were they switched off before / around new year?
    I don't think so. I've been home consistently since late November. However, keep in mind, when player are synced, it could be one or the other that triggers the exception. My two were sync'ed

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee28 View Post
    Digging deeper into the code reveals that "now" comes from Jive's Framework::getTicks() which is a 32bit timer with 1ms resolution, thus running at 1000Hz, thus it is prone to bugs related to its wrapping after 49.7 days or even after 24.8 days if the value is dealt as a signed value.
    An interesting observation. It might a bit of a challenge to track down how "your issue" would come about from this.

One possibility might be that a specific timer is set but never fires. As far as I am aware, the "number" type in lua is, by default, a "double float". Thus it would be possible for a timer to be set at a future time that never arrives. But that hypothesis would need checking in Squeezeplay's context, I believe that there may be tuning possibilities for the "number" type.

One way of monitoring this might be to put in a trace into jive.ui.Timer._insertTimer and check if such a timer is ever set up. Perhaps a bit of a challenge if the effect of "missing" the timer is a reboot, because the log files will disappear. (/var is mounted on a ramfs).

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    ....One way of monitoring this might be to put in a trace into jive.ui.Timer._insertTimer and ...
    Oh, note that _insertTimer is buggy in the same way: the condition if self.expires < timer.expires is also wrong in the wrapping-case and will temporarily put timer events into wrong order then.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    It might a bit of a challenge to track down how "your issue" would come about from this.
    I believe that the best way to trace that down could be to tweak the timer to start at a pretty high value instead of 0 after reboot. This should dramatically ease debugging. Is someone reading here in this forum who is able (and willing) to do that?

Note that since that code is in Jive's basic framework, Radios, Touches and Controllers should be affected by this problem.