Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonM
    • Apr 2008

Spontaneous turning-on

> I logged into one of my Radios via SSH and queried the device uptime.
    > The device uptime showed 24 days +19:15. It was 7:00pm.
    >
    > Some hours later, I noticed that the Radio was rebooted, because it
    > showed the main menu instead of the clock.
    > Again, I logged into the device and again queried the device uptime. The
    > uptime now showed that the device must have rebooted at 8:16pm!

I find this to be an amazing finding :-). 7-8 years after the device has
    been released you find an issue which had always been around?!? My
    uptimes are much lower (or I don't have access right now as SSH is
    disabled). But even on my long running units I could imagine they would
    be rebooted once a month (power outlet required for the hover in the
    kitchen, wiggly power plug on the office Radio etc.). I'll try to keep
    at least one of them alive for a month.

--

Michael
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
  • RonM
    • Apr 2008

Spontaneous turning-on

I suspect this has been addressed before, but I just had an annoying experience last night that I thought I'd post.

I normally listen to my radio while at my main workstation. When I'm done I put it to sleep, rather than fully power down, a I like seeing the time and the instant-on capacity.

However, the radio tends to turn fully on arbitrarily, I suspect in response to some form of minor power disruption, e.g. a surge or an "off" for a second or two. Normally this wouldn't matter, as there is nothing in the play queue. But if I put it to sleep when there is still a playlist, it starts to play. And so I woke up to a newly released but very old live recording of Ian and Sylvia, the excellently-recorded tunes wafting down the hallway from my office to the bedroom, where the dearly beloved was not amused.

I suppose the lesson is to clear any playlists or to turn the thing completely off. Anyone else have this experience?

I'm not sure it's possible to clear the playlist from the controls on the radio, and I wouldn't normally have access to SqueezeCntrl on my phone when I'm at the desk.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• slartibartfast
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RonM
      I suspect this has been addressed before, but I just had an annoying experience last night that I thought I'd post.

I normally listen to my radio while at my main workstation. When I'm done I put it to sleep, rather than fully power down, a I like seeing the time and the instant-on capacity.

However, the radio tends to turn fully on arbitrarily, I suspect in response to some form of minor power disruption, e.g. a surge or an "off" for a second or two. Normally this wouldn't matter, as there is nothing in the play queue. But if I put it to sleep when there is still a playlist, it starts to play. And so I woke up to a newly released but very old live recording of Ian and Sylvia, the excellently-recorded tunes wafting down the hallway from my office to the bedroom, where the dearly beloved was not amused.

I suppose the lesson is to clear any playlists or to turn the thing completely off. Anyone else have this experience?

I'm not sure it's possible to clear the playlist from the controls on the radio, and I wouldn't normally have access to SqueezeCntrl on my phone when I'm at the desk.

R.
      Check your settings for power on resume in player settings/audio..

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
      Bedroom: Radio
      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Redrum
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by RonM
        Anyone else have this experience?

R.
        I have, and it happens, say 2-3 times a year. Only with radio, never with boom. Touch and receivers - not sure because they may come on, but without the amp on. I have walked up on a touch screen in "now playing" as opposed to "off" and not thought much of it, but it could have popped on similarly.

I have a radio in my office on my first floor, and I'll wake up in bed on the second floor, and it sounds like there is someone in the house. The first time it freaked me, but now I know what it is . I also think I have walked in the office during the day and found the radio playing, so it's probably not just at night.

I think it's well documented here in the forum, I remember reading about it somewhere...my guess would be some sort of network event, or, even something goofy in the IR receiver circuit/code.

Jim

Comment

• T-bird
          • May 2010

They do an spontaneous reboot, I seen it on both my Touch and Radio and to me it happens 4-5 a year and they done so since they where new so almost 10 now
          1 x Touch
          1 x Radio
          Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.1 - 1633378390 @ Mon Oct 4 23:25:45 CEST 2021
          Castbridge with 2 x Harman Kardon Citation One, setup as a stereo pair
          Squeeze Ctrl
          Squeeze Player
          Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 20

Comment

• Steevee28
            • Feb 2010

Suspect Timer overflow as reason

Hi,

I also experience "random" reboots of my Radios and my Touch several times a year.

After having a close look to that for several month, these reboots aren't that much random, instead they happen in a constant-time interval (about once per month) and they happen simultaneously if they were initally started at the same time.

So I suspect the reason for that being a timer overflow causing a (watchdog?) reset of the devices. As an example, a 32bit timer running at 1000Hz overflows once each 49.7 days.

Can anybody confirm this?
            Last edited by Steevee28; 2020-02-25, 09:19.
            1x Squeezebox Classic, 3x Radio, 1x Touch, LMS 7.9.1 running on ODROID-U3, Ubuntu 16.04 and I'm happy with it! :)

Comment

• ralphy
              • Jan 2006

The touch and radio watchdog timer will reboot the units if the squeezeplay process crashes.

The watchdog timer also restarts the radio if the microcontroller monitor process dies.
              Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
              Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

• Steevee28
                • Feb 2010

Suspect Timer overflow as reason

Yes.
                I haven't looked through the code yet, but I guess that some event no longer occurs because of a wrapping timer / timer overflow and as a consequence, the watchdog resets the device.

Just as an illustration:

such buggy code could look like this:
                Code:
                static uint32_t timestamp_of_next_event = 0;
                if ( getCurrentTimerValue() >= timestamp_of_next_event )
                {
                    ...trigger_some_event...;
                    timestamp_of_next_event += 1000;
                }
                note that in this code, the event will no longer be triggered when the uint32 timer value wraps from 0xffffffff to 0x0.

one simple way to fix such code would be:
                Code:
                static uint32_t timestamp_of_next_event = 0;

if ( (int32_t)( getCurrentTimerValue() - timestamp_of_next_event ) >= 0 )
                {
                    ...trigger_some_event...;
                    timestamp_of_next_event += 1000;
                }
                note the important explicit type cast to (signed) int32_t type in order to cast the unsigned difference of the timer value and timestamp_of_next_event to its signed value before checking whether the result is positive.

(I'm sorry for writing the example code in C. I am neither able to code in Perl nor in Lua.)
                1x Squeezebox Classic, 3x Radio, 1x Touch, LMS 7.9.1 running on ODROID-U3, Ubuntu 16.04 and I'm happy with it! :)

Comment

• mrw
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by Steevee28
                  Can anybody confirm this?
                  No.

I have two Radios permanently on, for many years, and have never knowingly experienced this.

'Spontaneous' reboots ? Yes, very occasionally, but not obviously correlated.

Comment

• Steevee28
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by mrw
                    ... permanently on...
                    'Permanently on' means connected to power, but in standby/idle, ie. The Radio showing the clock?
                    I'm asking this, becaue the reboots will leave the Radio in "on state", ie. showing the Main Menu.

Which device firmware versions do you have?

Originally posted by mrw
                    ...but not obviously correlated...
                    For the reboots being obviously correclated, both Radios need to be initially turned on at the same point of time, of course.
                    Last edited by Steevee28; 2020-02-25, 23:01.

Comment

• Redrum
                      • Oct 2009

my radios are always connected to power, remain "off" (show clock screen saver) when not playing, and I have experienced the popping "on" (start playing a radio station, presumably the one in the playlist). Like I mentioned, this might also have happened with my touches, but since the amp is off, I don't notice it (audibly). I have walked up and seen the "now playing" screen, but not known if it occurred spontaneously, or a sloppy shut down on my part (I use a IR via a universal remote on my main systems).

picore servers, always connected to power and running.

The radios have started playing, unprovoked, maybe 1-4 times a year. My experience. YMMV. It's not a big deal to me, it's "character" now that I know it's not people in my house in the middle of the night....

Jim

Comment

• Steevee28
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Redrum
                        ...Like I mentioned, this might also have happened with my touches, but since the amp is off, I don't notice it (audibly)...
                        We both definitely share the same experiences, but I can confirm that this is both happening to the Radios and my Touch at the same time.
                        I should also emphasise that I disconnect all the devices from power when we are on holidays and reconnect them when we're back. So my devices are restarted after AC power loss at the same time.
                        This is surely the reason why those spontaneous reboots are in-sync on my devices.

Comment

• mherger
                          Babelfish's Best Boy
                          • Apr 2005

Spontaneous turning-on

> We both definitely share the same experiences, but I *can* confirm that
                          > this is both happening to the Radios *and* my Touch at the same time.

FWIW: I have a Touch connected to an amp which is always on, Radios
                          which stay on for months (mostly in soft off at night), others which are
                          powered off, or in paused mode. And they have been used this way for
                          years. I can't remember a single spontanous playback (except after my
                          kids started playing with the alarm clock - check this if you haven't
                          yet :-)).

What I know can lead to reboots is some screensavers. In particular the
                          image viewer can cause the Radio to run out of memory. If you're using
                          this, then try to use the clock instead and see whether this helps.

--

Michael
                          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• sebp
                            • May 2007

Yes, it happens from time to time with my Radio too (and only with my Radio).
                            I will leave home in the morning with the unit powered off, displaying the clock, and come back in the evening with the unit playing music in the bathroom.
                            I'm also pretty sure it's related to the Radio rebooting for some reason, but I never was able to reproduce the issue by unplugging it from the wall socket.

Kind of remind me an old issue there was with LMS where the unit would pick a wrong playlist after a server restart (I think.)
                            It's been fixed for a long time though, and is probably totally unrelated to this random problem.
                            Last.fm

Comment

• mrw
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Steevee28
                              'Permanently on' means connected to power, but in standby/idle, ie. The Radio showing the clock?
                              I'm asking this, becaue the reboots will leave the Radio in "on state", ie. showing the Main Menu.

Which device firmware versions do you have?
                              Yes, I have them idle, showing a clock.

I would imagine that, if they did reboot, they would go back into the same state...

Latest firmware, which for the Radio is 7.7.3. Note that a Touch would be 7.8.0, and there were some changes to the Alarm applet between 7.7.3 and 7.8.0.
                              For the reboots being obviously correclated, both Radios need to be initially turned on at the same point of time, of course.
                              Good point.

Comment

Working...