Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The Touch doesn't have a built in speaker.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    It must have, it make noises when you browse the menus, you can disable/enable these, Settings > Audio settings.

Name:  sound.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  21.3 KB
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The Touch doesn't have a built in speaker.

IIRC original Touch had a micro speaker and a microphone. Don't know if they got omitted in later production runs.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    It must have, it make noises when you browse the menus, you can disable/enable these, Settings > Audio settings.

Name:  sound.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  21.3 KB
    Fair enough I always turn those sounds off.

Quote Originally Posted by ews2k View Post
    I am pondering whether the 'rushing' sound was not possibly caused by data getting into the audio stream? Imagine the sound when standing in, around or under a waterfall - this is what it was doing.

-Eric
    In all my sb years, I have not heard anything like you describe, but one thing to consider/keep in mind is grounding, ground loops, and EMI interference. Usually these problems are more of a hum or buzz. I have a receiver hooked to an old analog integrated amp in my garage that occasionally starts to buzz, then with a "snap" sound it stops. I have yet to find out why, as it happens so infrequently. I think my circa 70's amplifier has a ground issue somewhere, maybe it changes with heat, who knows.

The SB power supplies are all switching, so they are electromagnetically noisy as well.

fingers crossed that your mystery resolved itself , but if it does reappear, and you can recreate it, swap things out, even the outlet it's plugged into, items nearby that might be radiating EMI, the touch power supply, the amplifier you are using, try the analog instead of digital out, stream internet, local media, etc. Just keep swapping until you can eliminate some of the possible causes.

Jim

I have the feeling that the cause of the noise was something to do with the data from the wifi getting into the audio stream. No idea how, of course. So far, it has behaved perfectly since the factory reset.

Regarding the speaker, after I reset the Touch to factory defaults, it played quite a pleasant little musical tune while booting up, something akin to the Windows start-up theme of a few years ago.

When it made that terrible din, I switched the amplifier off quickly and the same buzzing sound (buzzing not quite the correct word here, more like a standing under a harsh waterfall as I previously alluded to) emanated from the unit's speaker itself.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    In all my sb years, I have not heard anything like you describe, but one thing to consider/keep in mind is grounding, ground loops, and EMI interference. Usually these problems are more of a hum or buzz. I have a receiver hooked to an old analog integrated amp in my garage that occasionally starts to buzz, then with a "snap" sound it stops. I have yet to find out why, as it happens so infrequently. I think my circa 70's amplifier has a ground issue somewhere, maybe it changes with heat, who knows.

The SB power supplies are all switching, so they are electromagnetically noisy as well.

fingers crossed that your mystery resolved itself , but if it does reappear, and you can recreate it, swap things out, even the outlet it's plugged into, items nearby that might be radiating EMI, the touch power supply, the amplifier you are using, try the analog instead of digital out, stream internet, local media, etc. Just keep swapping until you can eliminate some of the possible causes.

Jim

Yep, I had already started to collect bits and pieces to build an analog power supply, very simple one comprising suitable transformer, bridge rectifier, caps, zener and a couple of transistors to eliminate this possible source of interference. I had everything on hand except the correct size DC power socket. The audio is fed to the amp using plain RCA stereo leads.

So far, Happiness rules!

-Eric