Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

SB Touch and Internet Radio

Apologies if this has been asked recently, I could not find any recent info on this.

I desire to use a SB Touch *only* for Internet Radio via a wifi connection, feeding the audio into an external device. The Touch was able to do this originally from all the Googling I did but I cannot find confirmation that this service still works. Can the Touch accept an App such as Tune-In which will allow me to do so?

My intention is not to use a computer anywhere within the link, I have no interest in streaming music from a computer, all I want to use is the wifi router, the Touch, and the external audio amplifier.

All advice appreciated

Yes, this is primarily how I use all my SB devices including the SB Touch. No computer, no local server, streaming internet radio. Works great.

However..... this requires you connect to Logitech's www.MySqueezeBox.com server online and Logitech will some day shut this server down. When is unknown.
    Might be years from now or it might happen next week. As a long since discontinued product line we are all lucky Logitech has kept their online server going this long!

Still works fine today and TuneIn is available (in fact TuneIn is the background service used by MySB.com for basic internet radio menus).

Thank you for this info, Toby. I have a couple of Denon Network receivers that used to work with vTune, the latter simply cancelled their service unless one pays an annual subscription. I did this, and the Denon works flawlessly since doing so. I have no objection should Logitech decide to do the same. (The newer Denons use TuneIn, no problems there).

If I understand you correctly, the Touch cannot log in directly to the TuneIn website, it has to work through the LMS?

Eric

Because it is depending on mysqueezebox.com and playing stations & podcasts direct from the source - there is a growing issues of https URLs. There is a growing number of stations /sources which are moving over to https ONLY URLs and SB Touch & Radio cannot play https directly - a local LMS will then be needed to proxy these URLs.

The local LMS can be a very small system (typically Raspberry Pi, Odroid etc) with no files stored. With PiCoreplayer these small system are very easy to setup and require virtually no maintenance. Such a small LMS can also help play a wider number of station which have moved over to HLS or a plugin is required for best support.

Food for thought... I have a spare raspberry Pi that I can set up for the job. PiCore apparently an application that runs with the Linux OS of the Pi. What version OS would you recommend for the Pi? (I am absolutely useless with Linux, I have to admit).

-Eric

SB Touch and Internet Radio

> Food for thought... I have a spare raspberry Pi that I can set up for
    > the job. PiCore apparently an application that runs with the Linux OS of
    > the Pi. What version OS would you recommend for the Pi? (I am absolutely
    > useless with Linux, I have to admit).

piCorePlayer (or short pCP) is all the OS you need.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ews2k View Post
    Food for thought... I have a spare raspberry Pi that I can set up for the job. PiCore apparently an application that runs with the Linux OS of the Pi. What version OS would you recommend for the Pi? (I am absolutely useless with Linux, I have to admit).

-Eric
    If it is not a Pi4 - then use 5.X PCP has everything bundled in: OS, LMS and Squeezelite player, Just burn a SD card and then configure/run with a web menu.

Instructions https://www.picoreplayer.org/main_howto.shtml

Thanks for that, it is either a Pi2 or Pi3, can't remember which. Will download the software in the interim, I'm still waiting for the Squeezebox Touch to arrive.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ews2k View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked recently, I could not find any recent info on this.

I desire to use a SB Touch *only* for Internet Radio via a wifi connection, feeding the audio into an external device. The Touch was able to do this originally from all the Googling I did but I cannot find confirmation that this service still works. Can the Touch accept an App such as Tune-In which will allow me to do so?

My intention is not to use a computer anywhere within the link, I have no interest in streaming music from a computer, all I want to use is the wifi router, the Touch, and the external audio amplifier.

All advice appreciated
    The SB Touch does have it's own inbuilt server (Tiny SB), you don't need to have Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on a PC, nor do you need to connect to mysqueezebox.com.

I appreciate you don't wish to listen to local music files via your Touch but If you put a couple of albums on an SD card (Touch has an SD card slot) or USB stick (Touch has a USB port), attach it to the appropriate port, you can start Tiny SB and search for and play radio stations.

As below.

Name:  Radio Tiny SB.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  34.9 KB
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Shot, I have confirmed the order for the Touch and will pay for it tomorrow when I receive the seller's banking details. This is a brand new sealed unit, he bought two of these some years back and this one was kept as a spare.

Thank you for all the meaningful advice, guys!

BTW, the station depicted in your screenshot above is one of the stations I listen to

-Eric