Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    I personally like to see art for each CD. If it's a 2cd set, I put this in the album field:

White Album (CD1)
    White Album (CD2)

If it's 3 or more, I do:

Whatever (Disc 1)
    Whatever (Disc 2)
    Whatever (Disc 3)

Etc

I don't use disc tags of any type. Some people consider this a kludge or ugly, but I love it, does exactly what I want. Always works, every app.
    It is unlikely to work with MAI though. Always a trade off somewhere
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    It is unlikely to work with MAI though. Always a trade off somewhere
    I think MAI ignores text in brackets.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What is MAI?

M Audio Interface?

Is it a music server / player? Does it ignore ( ) or brackets?
    Using: Win7 64 + LMS 7.9 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    What is MAI?
    Music and Artist Information - its a plugin, by Michael, the provides lyrics, biographies, album reviews, photos, etc.
    Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

Another oddball multi-disc tagging

I've recently downloaded a new 2-disc album. My practice with downloads is to use MP3tag to take out all the tags I don't want and leave myself with a consistent, fairly minimal set (Album, Artist, Genre, Title, Track, Year for most; plus Discnumber for multi-disc sets). This album persistently showed up in the LMS player in the way the OP describes - track 1 of each disc, then track 2 of each disc and so on until the end.
    After much head scratching, I finally used MP3tag to erase all the track numbers and replace them with fresh ones generated by the auto-renumber wizard (CTRL-K in Windows), replace the Discnumber tags with fresh ones, and now all is normal once more - the tracks from Disc 1 appear in order before the tracks from Disc 2 just like all my other multi-disc sets.

I therefore conclude, but can't prove, that although the original numbers showing in the tag editor looked correct, they were in fact carrying some other invisible features. Cleaning them out and inserting new ones did the job.
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Quote Originally Posted by Viragored View Post
    I've recently downloaded a new 2-disc album. My practice with downloads is to use MP3tag to take out all the tags I don't want and leave myself with a consistent, fairly minimal set (Album, Artist, Genre, Title, Track, Year for most; plus Discnumber for multi-disc sets). This album persistently showed up in the LMS player in the way the OP describes - track 1 of each disc, then track 2 of each disc and so on until the end.
    After much head scratching, I finally used MP3tag to erase all the track numbers and replace them with fresh ones generated by the auto-renumber wizard (CTRL-K in Windows), replace the Discnumber tags with fresh ones, and now all is normal once more - the tracks from Disc 1 appear in order before the tracks from Disc 2 just like all my other multi-disc sets.

I therefore conclude, but can't prove, that although the original numbers showing in the tag editor looked correct, they were in fact carrying some other invisible features. Cleaning them out and inserting new ones did the job.
    Seen similar and there is hidden gotcha in the file naming convention unless you are careful.
    By default most rippers name the files 01-Trackname.flac etc but with a multi-disc set there is the potential (and I have since it ONCE in 4,000 plus albums) where the same track name appears in the same place on more than one disc. I can't for the life of me remember which album it was but when I came to play it I found there was a track missing from disc 1.

Made up example
    CD1 Track 6 is Let It Be - so the file name becomes "06 - Let It Be.flac"
    CD2 Track 6 is also Let It Be - so the file name is also "06 - Let It Be.flac" and overwrites the one from CD1
    Because this has actually happened to me I have altered the settings of my ripper (dbPoweramp) to write discno-trackno-trackname.flac
    Just a thought
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Seen similar and there is hidden gotcha in the file naming convention unless you are careful.
    By default most rippers name the files 01-Trackname.flac etc but with a multi-disc set there is the potential (and I have since it ONCE in 4,000 plus albums) where the same track name appears in the same place on more than one disc. I can't for the life of me remember which album it was but when I came to play it I found there was a track missing from disc 1.

Made up example
    CD1 Track 6 is Let It Be - so the file name becomes "06 - Let It Be.flac"
    CD2 Track 6 is also Let It Be - so the file name is also "06 - Let It Be.flac" and overwrites the one from CD1
    Because this has actually happened to me I have altered the settings of my ripper (dbPoweramp) to write discno-trackno-trackname.flac
    Just a thought
    The first time I came across the problem you describe was when the second disc had remixes and other versions of tracks on the main album. I have a feeling one Deep Purple release was like that, maybe also a Beatles release. That made me look a little further into MP3tag which has a fully configurable function to rename files the way the user chooses. My preset for multi-disc sets has the album, followed by CD number, track number and title. Works a treat!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

Don't know if there are any Mac users with tagging issues, but I've been using this app for many years and it's incredibly flexible...

https://2manyrobots.com/yate/

Well worth looking into, and YES... determine a tagging strategy early on and stick with it! It does make a difference.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com