Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Multiple CD sets

I've been recently ripping and then processing some music with two CDs in the set (most recently Martin Simpson's Rooted).

I use MP3 Tag to do the processing, and it allows me to specify a CD sequence, e.g. 1 and 2 or 1/2 and 2/2. Unfortunately this appears to have no impact on LMS's presentation of the CDs, and I get a track list jumbled together, with tracks 1 from the two CDs presented one after the other, and the same with the tracks 2, 3, 4 and so on.

I'd like them to be either presented separately, or, better, presented one after the other, i.e. all from CD1 followed by all from CD2.

Is there a way to do this, other than labelling the two CDs as separate titles, e.g. Rooted CD1 and Rooted CD2?

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    I've been recently ripping and then processing some music with two CDs in the set (most recently Martin Simpson's Rooted).

I use MP3 Tag to do the processing, and it allows me to specify a CD sequence, e.g. 1 and 2 or 1/2 and 2/2. Unfortunately this appears to have no impact on LMS's presentation of the CDs, and I get a track list jumbled together, with tracks 1 from the two CDs presented one after the other, and the same with the tracks 2, 3, 4 and so on.

I'd like them to be either presented separately, or, better, presented one after the other, i.e. all from CD1 followed by all from CD2.

Is there a way to do this, other than labelling the two CDs as separate titles, e.g. Rooted CD1 and Rooted CD2?

R.
    Make sure your ALBUM name is exactly the same for both disks. Also make sure that the disk numbering tags are identical (1 or 2 vs 1/2 and 2/2 - one being 1 and the other being 2/2 may be a problem). In mp3tag, load up both disks and select all and choose "extended tags" to make sure you have all the same tags with same names where appropriate. I've had some issues in the past with stray totaldisc tag, etc.

I have lots of multidisk CDs and they play in proper order with all tracks from disk 1, then disk 2, etc. so long as I follow this metadata strategy.
    Last edited by garym; 2020-02-10 at 16:52.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Make sure your ALBUM name is exactly the same for both disks. Also make sure that the disk numbering tags are identical (1 or 2 vs 1/2 and 2/2 - one being 1 and the other being 2/2 may be a problem). In mp3tag, load up both disks and select all and choose "extended tags" to make sure you have all the same tags with same names where appropriate. I've had some issues in the past with stray totaldisc tag, etc.

I have lots of multidisk CDs and they pay in proper order with all tracks from disk 1, then disk 2, etc. so long as I follow this metadata strategy.
    also, in LMS > Settings > my music, be sure to set "treat multi-disc sets as a single album"
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Is there a way to do this
    What's your setting for "Group Discs" (Settings / My Music)?

Too slow today. What he (garym) says.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.10.05 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

may not matter, but for your file naming I'd use either

1. (my approach)

album/disk 1/track number - track title
    ......../disk 2/track number - track title

or

album/diskno.tracknubmer - track title

What I usually do these days is list the track numbers as if it was one album. For example if CD1 has 12 tracks then the 1st track from CD2 is 13 etc.

Multiple CD sets

> On 11 Feb 2020, at 00:53, garym <garym.9e1y3z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > may not matter, but for your file naming I'd use either
    >
    > 1. (my approach)
    >
    > album/disk 1/track number - track title
    > ......../disk 2/track number - track title
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2.
    >

I use the following as well

> album/diskno.tracknubmer - track title

And it works nicely. As mentioned by garym, look at the other tags, as well.

Rainer

>
    >
    >
    > *Home:* VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all
    > ethernet)
    > *Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio
    > w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    > *Office:* Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    > *The Wild (no internet): *PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry
    > Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    > *Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay
    > 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    > *Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
    > Streaming: Spotify
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > garym's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17325
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=111644
    >
    >

A strategy for Multi Disc tagging is essential.
    In the early days I once got caught out badly when I had set whatever ripper I was then using to simply use an "artist/album/tracknumber - title.flac" style file naming convention.
    The disc set in question had two identically named tracks in the same position on discs 1 and 2. Result only the latter version found its way to my library.
    Having learned my lesson I now have dbPoweramp set up to write "artist/album/discnumber-tracknumber-title.flac" and I pay attention to discnumbers when I load the disc.
    I also have dbPoweramp write Replaygain tags for me as like a lot of people I initially ignored the functionality in LMS but realised its benefit at a later stage.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    also, in LMS > Settings > my music, be sure to set "treat multi-disc sets as a single album"
    I suspect this is the problem, and will check later today.

The recording I was citing is in fact not ripped from a CD set but an online/downloadable purchase, with the download as two separate CDs, and without CD sequence tagging. So in this instance I'd have to do the necessary through mp3tag.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)