Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raspberry Pi official touchscreen flush mounting

I'm refitting my camper van and I want to include LMS running on a Raspberry Pi. I've had this for a few years, but in the refit I want to include a touchscreen running Jivelite. My aim is to flush mount the screen into one of the furniture panels. I opted for the 7" Official Touchscreen, and I bought this OneNineDesign case to experiment with.

A common criticism of this case is that in order to have the connectors accessible from the top it mounts the display upside down. While it's easy to invert the image, the result is that the viewing angle is a bit restricted above the centre line. In my case I plan to mount the display fairly high, so will mostly view it from below the centreline, so that criticism is actually an advantage for me. Of course, I could have mounted any case either way up, since it's not going to sit on a table, but it's nice to have it end up the way it was intended.

The furniture panel I'm mounting it in is 15mm thick, so I needed to add some standoffs to lift the display clear of the case back. The white nylon standoffs are M3, to lift case back, and the brass standoffs are M2.5, to lift the RPi.

I did a test fit in a scrap of 15mm material. The case back holds the display in place quite nicely without the need for any adhesive, and the resulting flush fit is just what I was aiming for.

I'd quite like to add an amplifier hat of some sort. The Pirate Audio 3W Amp board will be perfect for a pair of 'car' speakers, even if I have no need for its integral display and buttons. I just need to figure out how best to connect that board and still connect the 4 pins needed by the official display.

EDIT: I just read that the I2C wires aren't necessary on a 3B+, so 2 of those 4 pins aren't needed. The other two are just 5V power, which I can provide with a micro usb splitter.
    Last edited by chill; 2020-03-04 at 02:11.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I'd quite like to add an amplifier hat of some sort. The Pirate Audio 3W Amp board will be perfect for a pair of 'car' speakers, even if I have no need for its integral display and buttons. I just need to figure out how best to connect that board and still connect the 4 pins needed by the official display.

EDIT: I just read that the I2C wires aren't necessary on a 3B+, so 2 of those 4 pins aren't needed. The other two are just 5V power, which I can provide with a micro usb splitter.
    Chill,

If you get hold of a phat beat, you will get the same MAX98357A amps but without the dispay.
    A hifiberry miniamp would do the same.

Ofcourse if you'd use a bigger amp board like a justboom amp zero, you would include a DCpower converter to power it all from a 12 volt boardnet directly, and allow some more power into the speakers.

However mounting it all in the same enclosure is a bit DIY. I think there is no space to mount it the way the hat's are intended.
    Perhaps you can use the 15 mm space you created between the pi and display if you extend the correct GPIO pins

M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

Thanks M-H - yes, I'd forgotten about the Justboom Amp Zero's ability to back power the Pi. That would be a useful feature in the 12V environment of my camper van.

There is still a bit of space inside this case for a hat. Having moved the 4 flyleads (the I2C leads aren't needed, and I soldered a couple of flyleads to PP2 and PP5 near the 3B+'s USB power socket), the Pirate Audio board fits with space to spare. If I can find a supply of the Amp Zero I might get one to try in this application.

If I can find a supply of the Amp Zero I might get one to try in this application.
    A quick shop tour showed me they are out of stock in a few UK shops.

I reckon there is little space for a hat, so most amp boards will be too tall.
    How close will the lid be to the top of the USB connectors of the pi ?

M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    How close will the lid be to the top of the USB connectors of the pi ?
    The underside of the lid is 5.5mm above the top surface of the stacked USB sockets. As another point of reference, that's 20 or 21mm above the top surface of the Pi PCB.

If I can find a supply of the Amp Zero I might get one to try in this application.
    The AMP zero I have v1.1 is 12.1mm from the underside of the PCB to the top of the 2 capacitors.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Thanks Ralphy - sounds like it might just fit then. I'll check that dimension next time I have it in front of me.

Thanks Ralphy - sounds like it might just fit then. I'll check that dimension next time I have it in front of me.
    The power and speaker terminal placement appear to be okay too.

Name:  jbampzero.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  98.9 KB
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

These Amp Zeros seem to be out of stock everywhere. I'm temped to try one of their full sized Amp hats instead. There's room inside the case for the footprint, but the full hat sits rather higher than the Amp Zero because the Amp Zero seems to use a low-profile 40-pin header. I think it will be too high, judging by how far the capacitors seem to sit above the USB sockets.

Having recently invested in a proper desoldering tool I reckon I could remove the standard header from an Amp, but does anyone know if the Amp Zero's low profile header is available to buy?

Amp:

Amp Zero:

That is surface mount connector. (Look at ralphy's picture) It won't work with the through hole pcb design.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer