Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Using Squeezebox Boom at School

hey people

i am pretty noobish when it comes to my squeezebox and i dont have any alternative speakers that i can use, and considering that im a stingy boarder (we all are), i dont want to fork out a decent amount of money for as good/ better speakers

sooooo.... i was wondering if i could get my squeezebox to work properly without running my 5m Aux cord across the room.

the school has 2 networks, the boarding house which is not hidden but dodgy as, i know the password, network config etc for it. (its WEP)

the other is the main school network, which for some reason is hidden. its much more reliable but not as good coverage (WPA2 - PERSONAL)and i know passwords and crap for it too

both networks require proxy server setting to be used in browsers/ itunes/ team viewer etc...

i had it magically working for about half an hour but it took me almost 9 weeks of screwing around for 3 songs lol, with very inconsistent sound

so i was wondering... is there anyway to get a good connection through the school network? or can i somehow create a HOC or something to communicate with it?

thanks

stu

Hard to say what the issue is when dealing with someone elses network and not knowing the network settings etc...
    Possibly they may have even blocked your Boom's MAC address or needed ports to stream from the internet, who knows.

You could wire the Boom to your computer (laptop?) then use ICS for Internet Connection Sharing. This essentially turns your computer's network card into a "router" per se.

I'd try streaming stations to your computer first, see if that can function as expected before getting into ICS setup & configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Hard to say what the issue is when dealing with someone elses network and not knowing the network settings etc...
    Possibly they may have even blocked your Boom's MAC address or needed ports to stream from the internet, who knows.

You could wire the Boom to your computer (laptop?) then use ICS for Internet Connection Sharing. This essentially turns your computer's network card into a "router" per se.

I'd try streaming stations to your computer first, see if that can function as expected before getting into ICS setup & configuration.
    talking to thehead of it (my software teacher) he said that they accept nearly all mac addresses and that it should work. he doesnt mind if i use it, but he can't get it to work either. me can still connect to boarding and school internet via phones and ipods although he wants to put an end to this soon.
    i have a program on my computer, it does what you suggested and emmits a network using the internet that i am using. should i try that?

the network settings are
    WPA2-PSK i think

and

WEP

proxy server is proxy.scots
    port 8080
    if you need anything else let me know and i will find it out

thanks for the help

Guess it can't hurt to try it.

So, just what do you want to do?

If you want to stream music from the internet, e.g. radio, then you need to use an external network. If you want to play files on your computer, you do have some options.

For the latter, I have been able to (painlessly) set up an ad hoc Win7 network, linking my netbook and it's large music library to the Boom, via the two devices' wifi capabilities. No router required. I can use the controller to control the music being played (my preference), the controls on the Boom, the Boom's IR remote or the SBS interface on the computer.

R.

Originally Posted by toby10
    Alternatively, you could wire it to the computer/laptop and use it as a tool for your project. How are you planning to do that with the ICS setup & configuration? There are pdf guides by the cheap essay writer reviews on TechDoze.

How can I wire the Boom to my laptop? I'm planning to use Squeezebox Boom for a school project. I need to find the White Paper: Logitech Squeezebox Boom Audio Design by Caleb Crome as well.
    Last edited by Drpsyche2; 2020-01-30 at 04:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Drpsyche2 View Post
    How can I wire the Boom to my laptop? I'm planning to use Squeezebox Boom for a school project. I need to find the White Paper: Logitech Squeezebox Boom Audio Design by Caleb Crome as well.
    Search is your friend.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...gn-White-Paper

Quote Originally Posted by Drpsyche2 View Post
    You'll have to setup your laptop in Network Share mode. Basically very similar to turning your cell phone into a hot spot so other devices can ""share" the connection.