Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Old Boom => Ka Boom!

Thought about building a DIY picoreplayer with an amplifier to drive some bookshelf speakers after reading about raspberry pi based players. Sort of like a DIY Boom with external small speakers. Started reading about the Boom on this forum (and some external links) / found out how it is essentially a squeezebox with a 4 channel digital amp with digital crossover. So I bought a cheap Boom to experiment with since the DIY parts would cost more. However, it was in such good condition and sounded great - I couldn't bear to modify it. That one is now rocking my morning showers.

Thankfully, I found another cheaper "broken" - missing knob, speakers not sounding good - perfect candidate for experimentation.

Thanks again to this forum, I was able to disassemble it and make a harness for the 4 speaker outputs and run it out of the back of the boom. I essentially bi-amped my bookshelf speakers in the same configuration as the boom to see how it would sound.

Result:
    Ka Boom!

The tweeters in the bookshelf speakers are slightly brighter, but turning down the treble just a tad took care of that. So impressed with the sound - the amps in the boom can drive these 5.25 speakers louder than I'd ever listen / much louder than the boom's speakers. I love the bass these systems put out - especially when the volume is low - like an auto loudness...

I just received the squeezebox controller today I picked up cheap - wow, nice remote. This system is awesome. Thanks to everyone involved in this ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by uranus View Post
    I love the bass these systems put out - especially when the volume is low - like an auto loudness...
    Which is exactly what it does, I think.

See section "Bass Extension": http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/...dio_Design.pdf

So now all you need to do is modify the response to align it with your bookshelf speakers...

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Which is exactly what it does, I think.

See section "Bass Extension": http://wiki.slimdevices.com/uploads/...dio_Design.pdf

So now all you need to do is modify the response to align it with your bookshelf speakers...
    Hi:
    That's a cool document. Do you know if they ever implemented any of the "future enhancements" mentioned in the conclusion section?

Or does your response imply you know how or know if there is information available to modify either the crossover points and/or the general frequency response in the boom?

That's a "no" to both questions !

My response was somewhat "tongue in cheek". I imagine that finding, understanding, and modifying the cross-over parameters in the Boom's firmware would be somewhat non-trivial, and require a good deal of reverse engineering. I don't have a Boom, and I have no knowledge of how its firmware is organized.

So I guess you're restricted to using your bass and treble controls, as you have done.

A nice project, by the way.