Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Need help for my setup

Hello together,

first of all excuse my english. But i am not a native speaker.
    I hope your understand my request and can help me to find the best solution for me and my wife.

We build a new home last year and build in wall speakers in our bathroom and sleeping room. The cables for that are rooted to a single place in our house.
    When we planned our house, the plan was to use something like sonos amp. But after the last month, i found this forum and now my opinion changed.

I would like to use LMS on my NAS and buy 2 RaspPi for the 2 Zones. For the players i would think PiCoreplayer is the best option?

The next problem/questions occures should i use HifiBerry AMP2 or is a DAC + separate AMP the better solution?
    The problem with the separate amp would be, how could i turn it on/off. (The RaspPI + AMP should be hidden in our technic room)

Thanks for your help

Mike

In your situation, I would:

- use the HiFiBerry Amp2 bundle: https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundl...ry-amp-bundle/
    - run PiCorePlayer on both Raspberry Pi
    - wire both RPi to your router; wireless only if no other option
    - run LMS on your NAS or on one of the RPi
    - store your library on the NAS or on a powered USB hard drive
    - buy a second USB hard drive (no need to be powered) and use as an off-site backup (keep at work, at relative's, in safe deposit box, etc.); develop a routine for monthly backup
    - use Material Skin plugin for remote control (browser, phone, tablet).

Off-site backup of your music library is critical unless you are only a streamer. One tactic is to buy two portable drives for local backup and swap them monthly to your remote location.

See also:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...sounds-amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1981 View Post
    I would like to use LMS on my NAS and buy 2 RaspPi for the 2 Zones. For the players i would think PiCoreplayer is the best option?

The next problem/questions occures should i use HifiBerry AMP2 or is a DAC + separate AMP the better solution?
    The problem with the separate amp would be, how could i turn it on/off. (The RaspPI + AMP should be hidden in our technic room)
    pCP is great for multi room solutions.
    Before starting to use it, I too was in search for an alternative for proprietary hw/sw combo's that could last for quite some time.
    It has awesome flexibility regarding HW and controlling it, works well, some tinkering/DIY satisfaction, ...

Regarding your question of an AMP: it all depends on what you already have as gear and what you expect from your setup.
    As you can see from my signature, I also use an AMP2
    I have solved the problem of an older, external AMP by integrating it into home automation and a simple, controllable socket that switches the AMP on/off when LMS starts/stops: works like a charm.
    pCP v5.0.0 on all players
    LMS 7.9.2 on Debian Buster server in a Linux Container
    RPi 3B+ with Hifiberry AMP2 and official 7" touchscreen (Squeezelite + Jivelite), +27k titles on SMB share
    RPi B as dedicated player, connected over wifi with USB dongle
    RPi 2B as dedicated player, connected over powerline
    RPi Zero W as dedicated player
    Squeezer on Android to control