Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Can't control PiCorePlayer with RPi Screen/Jivelite connected with OpenVPN

I'm running picoreplayer 6b7 and managed to get wifi and openvpn working tethered from my cell phone. I currently have the official touchscreen attached and when it's connected with VPN, audio plays if control it with a seperate controller. When I try to use the touchscreen, it can't find my Library though.

Quote Originally Posted by kbeast View Post
    I'm running picoreplayer 6b7 and managed to get wifi and openvpn working tethered from my cell phone. I currently have the official touchscreen attached and when it's connected with VPN, audio plays if control it with a seperate controller. When I try to use the touchscreen, it can't find my Library though.
    Jivelite isnĺt going to work in that environment.....unless the vpn is used 100% of the time.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Interestingly enough i got it working. I had to go to advanced > remote libraries, then punch in my IP address of my LMS and I was good to go.

I think i can script something based on the wifi to connect to the vpn or not. I'm not overly concerned because this is going to be my travel player and will mostly be connecting to vpn.

Jivelite is a little finicky in the v6 beta but once i uninstalled and reinstalled got all my VU meters and stuff

I meant to say work well. It does not deal well with interface changes. I suspect vpn is creating an interface.....when you go back to a non-vpn interface, don't be surprised if you have a problem.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    I meant to say work well. It does not deal well with interface changes. I suspect vpn is creating an interface.....when you go back to a non-vpn interface, don't be surprised if you have a problem.
    I often run Pcp over a VPN

OpenVPN does create a an interface (tun x) and this does cause Jivelite some problems

I believe Jivelite searches for the LMS server and cannot find it over a VPN there is a reasonably easy fix for this.
    Connect the player to a local network and choose the player in Jivelite "Choose Player" also set the server in squeezelite to the server IP.
    When you move to the VPN connection when the VPN comes up Jivelite will connect OK

I have posted a script here https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post875306
    This will check if the Pcp is on the local network and prevent a VPN being connected and if not connect the VPN

Code:
    # Choose a host on the remote network

testhost=192.168.5.2
    The testhost should be a host that is pingable only if on the local network OR the VPN is connected

Hope this helps

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    I often run Pcp over a VPN

I have posted a script here https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post875306
    This will check if the Pcp is on the local network and prevent a VPN being connected and if not connect the VPN

The testhost should be a host that is pingable only if on the local network OR the VPN is connected

Hope this helps
    That's pretty sweet. Was thinking of similiar by pinging something and if it couldn't resolve the name it would try and VPN in because I know a lot of places I go tend to use the same internal network addresses and potentially get a false positive, but honestly that would work as I have a few IP's that no one I know would really have.

Definitely going to leverage that script, thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    lol. I've been toggling a little bit and getting varied results, but I'm making a lot of changes and not keeping track of them very well.

Jivelite on the v6 beta has a bit of odd behavior with my experience as it is, but going to the remote library setting and confirming it isn't the end of the world. I'm not quite sure at this point if I will keep the screen attached anyway as I mainly want to use the unit as portable, and I'd assume HDMI audio output would be a consideration on certain places I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post

Code:
    # Choose a host on the remote network

testhost=192.168.5.2

Hope this helps
    So this script is great. I had to modify it a little where i ran openvpn after it tries to kill the process since mine was connecting to vpn regardless. I also set the home network to something wildly different as for me, my network is very common so it would think i was on the home network regardless of where i was. This is great though!

Quote Originally Posted by kbeast View Post
    So this script is great. I had to modify it a little where i ran openvpn after it tries to kill the process since mine was connecting to vpn regardless. I also set the home network to something wildly different as for me, my network is very common so it would think i was on the home network regardless of where i was. This is great though!
    Thinking about this I may have missed a trick.
    You could set the testhost as the "Vitual IP" of the VPN server.
    May work better than a testhost on the network, I have not tried this yet but may be a very good way of doing it !

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS