Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I didn't expect it to be any different than r1188, so I 've removed the r1203 build.

Squeezeplay searches for shared library files in /opt/squeezeplay/lib first, then it will use the system libraries if not found.
    I have since gotten it to display some error messages using ImageViewer applet. I have copied some JPEG artwork to a local directory and started a slide show on that. The 64bit version displays all the images without problems but the 32bit version logs

20200206 13:53:39.376 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:276 start image viewer
    20200206 13:53:39.377 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:84 init image viewer
    20200206 13:53:39.378 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageSourceLocalStorage.lua:42 initialize ImageSourceLocalStorage
    20200206 13:53:39.380 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageSource.lua:37 init of ImageSource base
    20200206 13:53:39.410 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:327 self.listCheckCount: 1
    20200206 13:53:39.411 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:338 image list not ready yet...
    20200206 13:53:39.781 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:687 image rendering
    20200206 13:53:40.002 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageSourceLocalStorage.lua:166 Next image in queue: /home/ds/pics/Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (4 of 4).jpg
    20200206 13:53:40.008 ERROR applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:851 Invalid image object found: /home/ds/pics/Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (4 of 4).jpg
    stack traceback:
    ...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:851: in function '_renderImage'
    ...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:695: in function <...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:695>

and then stops the slide show. It does so even with artwork that can be displayed normally in NowPlaying !?! I don't know it this is related or a different kind of error.

Where can I find the latest build instructions for SqueezePlay?

Update: I have managed to build jivelite and this displays cover art just fine. Building SqueezePlay myself may indeed help.
    Last edited by D1eter; 2020-02-06 at 08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post
    I have since gotten it to display some error messages using ImageViewer applet. I have copied some JPEG artwork to a local directory and started a slide show on that. The 64bit version displays all the images without problems but the 32bit version logs

20200206 13:53:39.376 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:276 start image viewer
    20200206 13:53:39.377 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:84 init image viewer
    20200206 13:53:39.378 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageSourceLocalStorage.lua:42 initialize ImageSourceLocalStorage
    20200206 13:53:39.380 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageSource.lua:37 init of ImageSource base
    20200206 13:53:39.410 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:327 self.listCheckCount: 1
    20200206 13:53:39.411 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:338 image list not ready yet...
    20200206 13:53:39.781 DEBUG applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:687 image rendering
    20200206 13:53:40.002 INFO applet.ImageViewer - ImageSourceLocalStorage.lua:166 Next image in queue: /home/ds/pics/Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (4 of 4).jpg
    20200206 13:53:40.008 ERROR applet.ImageViewer - ImageViewerApplet.lua:851 Invalid image object found: /home/ds/pics/Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin Boxed Set (4 of 4).jpg
    stack traceback:
    ...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:851: in function '_renderImage'
    ...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:695: in function <...share/jive/applets/ImageViewer/ImageViewerApplet.lua:695>

and then stops the slide show. It does so even with artwork that can be displayed normally in NowPlaying !?! I don't know it this is related or a different kind of error.

Where can I find the latest build instructions for SqueezePlay?

Update: I have managed to build jivelite and this displays cover art just fine. Building SqueezePlay myself may indeed help.
    I don't maintain build instructions but there are several threads here that discuss it.

Should be less involved than building jivelite as most of the support libraries are included in the squeezeplay sources. There are few a build package requirements listed at the top of the Makefile.linux.

Could you please provide me with the one or several image files that make the 32bit version kack?
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Success: I have built SqueezePlay myself and now it displays all album art as it should. I can now go on with my project.

Observations:
    In Makefile.linux it says to install expat-dev. That probably means just expat (I installed expat but didn't find or install expat-dev).
    I have found that I had to install automake-1.15 specifically as this version is needed for fdk-aac-2.0.0

Thanks @ralphy for providing/maintaining SqueezePlay. How would you like me to supply images?

Success: I have built SqueezePlay myself and now it displays all album art as it should. I can now go on with my project.

Observations:
    In Makefile.linux it says to install expat-dev. That probably means just expat (I installed expat but didn't find or install expat-dev).
    I have found that I had to install automake-1.15 specifically as this version is needed for fdk-aac-2.0.0

Thanks @ralphy for providing/maintaining SqueezePlay. How would you like me to supply images?
    Squeezeplay no longer requires expat-dev as it builds it's own expat library. That's an old requirement that I need to remove from the makefile.

You shouldn't have needed to install am 1.15 unless you made changes to the automake config files. I'll have to look at that.

Upload the tar.gz file and I'll put it on source forge. The i386 version doesn't get download much these days.

I'd still like to figure out why my i386 build fails to display all images. Could you still provide me with a couple of image files?
    Ralphy

Squeezeplay no longer requires expat-dev as it builds it's own expat library. That's an old requirement that I need to remove from the makefile.

You shouldn't have needed to install am 1.15 unless you made changes to the automake config files. I'll have to look at that.
    I didn't make any changes. If am 1.15 is missing build fails at fdk-aac-2.0.0. Standard with Debian Buster is am 1.16.

Upload the tar.gz file and I'll put it on source forge. The i386 version doesn't get download much these days.

I'd still like to figure out why my i386 build fails to display all images. Could you still provide me with a couple of image files?
    I have uploaded my build and a few covers that weren't displayed. Note that my build doesn't have a build number as yours does.

I have uploaded my build and a few covers that weren't displayed. Note that my build doesn't have a build number as yours does.
    Thank you for the files. The build scripts haven't been updated to support git, that's why your build doesn't have a revision number.
    Ralphy

Thank you for the files. The build scripts haven't been updated to support git, that's why your build doesn't have a revision number.
    You're welcome. Please let me know about your findings regarding displaying covers with your build.

After further tests I'm not (yet) happy with my build of SqueezePlay:

Ľ even when idle jive_alsa uses 6% CPU time while pulseaudio uses another 12%
    Ľ jive_alsa is very easy to crash. Switching between a standard 16/44.1 mp3 stream and a 24/96 flac file is almost guaranteed to crash it

The only output I managed to get so far when it crashes was:
    Code:
    malloc(): memory corruption (fast)
    Is SqueezePlay known to be so unstable or is there something wrong with my build?

After further tests I'm not (yet) happy with my build of SqueezePlay:

Ľ even when idle jive_alsa uses 6% CPU time while pulseaudio uses another 12%
    Ľ jive_alsa is very easy to crash. Switching between a standard 16/44.1 mp3 stream and a 24/96 flac file is almost guaranteed to crash it

The only output I managed to get so far when it crashes was:
    Code:
    malloc(): memory corruption (fast)
    Is SqueezePlay known to be so unstable or is there something wrong with my build?
    I haven't found SqueezePlay to be unstable, but I have seen the memory corruption crash on occasion, but never found a way to reproduce it consistantly so I could track it down.

Squeezeplay defaults to 16 bit sample size regardless of the source material. Try setting these environment variables in squeezeplay.sh.

export USEALSASAMPLESIZE=0
    export USEALSABUFFERTIME=100000
    export USEALSAPERIODCOUNT=4

My experience has been that pulseaudio is very cpu intensive as compared to a strictly ALSA audio chain. That's the cost of the additional flexibility I guess. Try the i386 pulseaudio build. It has no jive_alsa process.

I still haven't had a chance to investigate the images that don't display yet. But just try it to see if there's any stability and cpu usage differences.

There is also the Jivelite or the Material Skin + Squeezelite option you could try.
    Ralphy

I haven't found SqueezePlay to be unstable, but I have seen the memory corruption crash on occasion, but never found a way to reproduce it consistantly so I could track it down.

Squeezeplay defaults to 16 bit sample size regardless of the source material. Try setting these environment variables in squeezeplay.sh.

export USEALSASAMPLESIZE=0
    export USEALSABUFFERTIME=100000
    export USEALSAPERIODCOUNT=4
    With these settings CPU load on idle is less but jive_alsa crashes systematically on 24/96 flac files. BTW I have no problems crashing jive_alsa with the x86_64 version of SqueezePlay either (jive_alsa assert failure: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer). Just switch between two Favourites as fast as you can manage and you'll crash it rather sooner than later. It's not what I usually do I just ran into this issue by chance. And it may be due to pulseaudio rather than using ALSA only.

My experience has been that pulseaudio is very cpu intensive as compared to a strictly ALSA audio chain. That's the cost of the additional flexibility I guess. Try the i386 pulseaudio build. It has no jive_alsa process.

I still haven't had a chance to investigate the images that don't display yet. But just try it to see if there's any stability and cpu usage differences.
    I have tried and found that this version is pretty much impossible to crash. But CPU load on idle is no better or even worse than with my build. How do I build squeezeplay-pulse? I didn't see this mentioned in the makefile.

There is also the Jivelite or the Material Skin + Squeezelite option you could try.
    Jivelite + Squeezelite is my plan in case I can't make SqueezePlay work. I've already built Jivelite and Squeezelite is in the repository.