Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SqueezePlay 7.8.0r1188 i386 does not display all cover art

In an attempt to convert an Elo Touch Solutions ESY15E1 (http://media.elotouch.com/pdfs/datas...15E1_ds_en.pdf) into a big (15inch) SBTouch I have tried squeezeplay-7.8.0-1188-i386.tgz with Debian Buster 10.2 and Ubuntu-Mate 18.0.4.3. It works pretty well in both cases but it does not display all cover art. Strangely, no errors are logged and I have verified using a network trace that corver art is being requested from the server and does indeed arrive on the wire and it is the picture that should be displayed. Cover art works whenever it is embedded in tracks. But most of my collection is single wav + cue with a jpeg cover in the same folder. Cover art works very rarely in this case. If there is a systematic I didn't discover it yet.

As a crosscheck I have tried squeezeplay-7.8.0-1188-x86_64.tgz on Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04 on different boxes and this problem does not appear. It seems that only the 32bit version is affected. Unfortunately, the box in question is 32bit... Did anyone else see this? What might be the cause? Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by D1eter; 2020-02-05 at 08:14. Reason: more descriptive title

Anyone? Would I be better off with Jivelite?

Meanwhile, I have tested with SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r1188 on W7 32bit (brrrrr...) . Artwork displays without issues. I'd much prefer to run Linux though.

Anyway, is this even the right place to ask questions about SqueezePlay?

Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post
    Meanwhile, I have tested with SqueezePlay-setup-7.8.0r1188 on W7 32bit (brrrrr...) . Artwork displays without issues. I'd much prefer to run Linux though.

Anyway, is this even the right place to ask questions about SqueezePlay?
    IIRC Ralphy does maintenance so you could PM him.
    It is an odd problem - it feels like a library is missing.
    Have you run squeezeplay i386 from a shell prompt and are any message put up.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    IIRC Ralphy does maintenance so you could PM him.
    It is an odd problem - it feels like a library is missing.
    Have you run squeezeplay i386 from a shell prompt and are any message put up.
    I have only ever run SqueezePlay from a shell prompt so far but never seen any error messages, even with all sorts of debug turned on. There seems to be a size limit to JPEG cover art. Artwork smaller than 600x600 seems to be displayed correctly. If cover art is PNG then size does not matter.

I have only ever run SqueezePlay from a shell prompt so far but never seen any error messages, even with all sorts of debug turned on. There seems to be a size limit to JPEG cover art. Artwork smaller than 600x600 seems to be displayed correctly. If cover art is PNG then size does not matter.
    There's a new version 1203 of Squeezeplay for i386 just uploaded but there is no new commit to indicate a code change.

The only difference between the two is that the 64bit version has mmx extensions disabled, which has been the case since I started providing builds.
    I've uploaded a 32bit build with mmx extensions disabled. Please give that a try.
    The intel squeezeplay builds are done on centos 6, which is old, but produces a binary that works with most of the current linux distributions...at least up until now.
    If the new build doesn't display all images, you can try building squeezeplay on Debian 10. I don't know if jivelite will be any different, you'll have to try it.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    There's a new version 1203 of Squeezeplay for i386 just uploaded but there is no new commit to indicate a code change.
    You're right. r1203 is just an update to the makefile to build for picoreplayer. But the test build does have mmx extensions disabled for the sdl gfx library.
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The only difference between the two is that the 64bit version has mmx extensions disabled, which has been the case since I started providing builds.
    I've uploaded a 32bit build with mmx extensions disabled. Please give that a try.
    The intel squeezeplay builds are done on centos 6, which is old, but produces a binary that works with most of the current linux distributions...at least up until now.
    If the new build doesn't display all images, you can try building squeezeplay on Debian 10. I don't know if jivelite will be any different, you'll have to try it.
    Thanks @ralphy. I have downloaded and tried this build and there is no diffenrence in behaviour.

What might cause a limit on JPEG size of < 600x600? E.g. artwork with 600x600 and above is not displayed while 600x598 is displayed?
    Edit: Well, unfortunately this is not systematic. There are some images > 600x600 that are displayed.

What does SqueezePlay use to display JPEG artwork? Is there a cache somewhere? I have deleted the jpeg libraries bundled with Squeezeplay and expected it to crash but it just behaves as before.
    Last edited by D1eter; 2020-02-06 at 04:47. Reason: more observations

Thanks @ralphy. I have downloaded and tried this build and there is no diffenrence in behaviour.

What might cause a limit on JPEG size of < 600x600? E.g. artwork with 600x600 and above is not displayed while 600x598 is displayed?
    Edit: Well, unfortunately this is not systematic. There are some images > 600x600 that are displayed.

What does SqueezePlay use to display JPEG artwork? Is there a cache somewhere? I have deleted the jpeg libraries bundled with Squeezeplay and expected it to crash but it just behaves as before.
    I didn't expect it to be any different than r1188, so I 've removed the r1203 build.

Squeezeplay searches for shared library files in /opt/squeezeplay/lib first, then it will use the system libraries if not found.
    Ralphy