Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post
    I have set enableAudio=0 in $HOME/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/Playback.lua. However, this does not keep jive_alsa from running and consuming CPU. Should jive_alsa run with enableAudio=0?
    Yes, squeezeplay still starts jive_alsa with enableAudio=0, but doesn't start the local player.

edit: I've renamed jive_alsa so it cannot be started. SqueezePlay (with enableAudio=0) doesn't even complain.
    That's always been the case AFAIK.

I have also found out that setting the ALSA device to plughw:0,0 rather than using defaults causes both squeezelite and jive_alsa to use dramatically less CPU.
    That's an interesting observation. Does using plughw increase the cpu sys load instead?

I would NOT recommend using plughw: with squeezelite as it masks the true capabilities of the audio hardware and moves any audio conversion to the alsa layer instead of squeezelite.

jive_alsa will automatically close and reopen the audio device with plughw: to allow resampled playback of audio streams not directly supported by the audio hardware.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That's an interesting observation. Does using plughw increase the cpu sys load instead?
    No. squeezelite and jive_alsa just use much less CPU but there is no increase elsewhere. It seems that in my case using defaults (i.e. I didn't specify a device at all) isn't the most efficient way to go.

I would NOT recommend using plughw: with squeezelite as it masks the true capabilities of the audio hardware and moves any audio conversion to the alsa layer instead of squeezelite.
    I wasn't aware that squeezelite's audio conversion is preferable to ALSA's. Is hw:0,0 better then? CPU usage is the same for both with the material I own.

jive_alsa will automatically close and reopen the audio device with plughw: to allow resampled playback of audio streams not directly supported by the audio hardware.
    I gather that for jive_alsa it is better to use plughw: to benefit from this feature? Plus jive_alsa uses very little CPU with plughw: so I guess I'll just use SqueezePlay without hacks.

I wasn't aware that squeezelite's audio conversion is preferable to ALSA's. Is hw:0,0 better then? CPU usage is the same for both with the material I own.
    My experience has been that the libsoxr resampling library included with squeezelite provides better default and configurable resampling settings compared to the default resampler used in alsa. You can change the default resampler for alsa.

I gather that for jive_alsa it is better to use plughw: to benefit from this feature? Plus jive_alsa uses very little CPU with plughw: so I guess I'll just use SqueezePlay without hacks.
    If you use hw: with jive_alsa and the audio device doesn't support the sample rate of the stream, jive_alsa will close the hw: device and reopen with plughw: to use the alsa resampler as jive_alsa does not have native resampling support like squeezelite.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

My experience has been that the libsoxr resampling library included with squeezelite provides better default and configurable resampling settings compared to the default resampler used in alsa. You can change the default resampler for alsa.

If you use hw: with jive_alsa and the audio device doesn't support the sample rate of the stream, jive_alsa will close the hw: device and reopen with plughw: to use the alsa resampler as jive_alsa does not have native resampling support like squeezelite.
    Oh, I misunderstood, thanks for the clarification. I plan to use a USB DAC with capabilities that far exceed the demands of all my material or streams. If I can get that to work resampling should never be needed.

I have since added a USB DAC to the box and today I have completed the setup by adding a FLIRC V2 so I can use the SBTouch remote to control it.
    Thanks a lot again to @ralphy for helping me to complete this project! Comparison below: