Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    The Touch and the Controller both run Squeezeplay v7.8, which has native support for decoding an ogg/flac stream.

The Radio runs Squeezeplay v7.7, which does not. I doubt that any of the previous line-up, e.g. Receiver, has it either.
    I suppose we cannot consider a firmware upgrade for Radio/Receiver?

If I change the rule to
    Code:
    ogf flc transcode *
           # IFRD:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
           [flac] --ogg -dcs -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q --ignore-length -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    the Radio doesn't play the stream at all with the "unsupported sample-rate" error display. I'll stay with
    Code:
    ogf flc * *
           [flac] --ogg -dcs -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q --ignore-length -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Thanks again for helping out and for all the information!

Quote Originally Posted by D1eter View Post
    I suppose we cannot consider a firmware upgrade for Radio/Receiver?
    Not from Logitech, I think.

One of our forum members is giving the thought active consideration. See, for example: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post963720

But it might be accompanied by a price tag that's not worth paying: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post963722

If I change the rule to
    Code:
    ogf flc transcode *
    the Radio doesn't play the stream at all with the "unsupported sample-rate" error display.
    Thank you for demolishing that idea. I see now that it would only work if the source and destination streams are of the same format. E.g. flc->flc, or ogf->ogf.

I wonder: is LMS being unnecessarily restrictive here ?

Not from Logitech, I think.

One of our forum members is giving the thought active consideration. See, for example: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post963720

But it might be accompanied by a price tag that's not worth paying: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post963722
    Thanks for pointing me there. I'll be watching. It would be really cool if the Radio could be on par the with the Touch in terms of ogg/flac decoding.

streams to test custom convert rule with

I've been busy with other stuff for a while but finally got around to testing the custom convert rule with a few ogg/flac streams:

The last one does not play on SBRadio with LMS 7.9.2 and the custom convert rule missing. All play fine with the rule. Is this enough of a demonstration to make the rule standard?

BTW I don't get why the SBRadio reports 48kHz max sample rate. The audio codec used in the Radio is capable of 96kHz. While that doesn't mean 96kHz is supported I have played both 96kHz and 88.2kHz flac files without issues. I didn't hear any difference between 96kHz and the same track downsampled to 88.2kHz either.

BTW I don't get why the SBRadio reports 48kHz max sample rate. The audio codec used in the Radio is capable of 96kHz.
    My speculation is that the kernel driver for the chip, or its implementation on the i.MX25, may not have been mature back in 2008/9. The kernel patches (in here: https://github.com/Logitech/squeezeo...tches/logitech) have Logitech's moniker on them. As implemented, it seems to advertise only 44100Hz and 48000Hz sample rates.

Also note that the Radio's ALSA Crossover and equalizer plugin (babydsp) is only designed to operate at one rate (44100Hz). The filter specifications would be 'a bit off' for a 48000Hz sample rate stream, but probably not noticeably so.

... I have played both 96kHz and 88.2kHz flac files without issues.
    I have observed that the ALSA rate conversion plugin will downsample both these rates to 48000Hz before handing over to the hardware.

I didn't hear any difference between 96kHz and the same track downsampled to 88.2kHz either.
    One reason why I, personally, have no interest in high sample rate tracks.

My speculation is that the kernel driver for the chip, or its implementation on the i.MX25, may not have been mature back in 2008/9. The kernel patches (in here: https://github.com/Logitech/squeezeo...tches/logitech) have Logitech's moniker on them. As implemented, it seems to advertise only 44100Hz and 48000Hz sample rates.
    Thanks for the pointer. No improvement for version 7.8 unfortunately...

I tried to play 88.2kHz on the Radio because of what you said earlier:
    I fed an 88.2kHz sample rate stream to my Radio to remind myself of what issue I had previously observed. It is this: the sound effects have somewhat "tinky" sound to them, although the stream seems to play fine.

I note that the Radio's ALSA subsystem down samples the stream to 48kHz, not the 44.1kHz that one might expect, and that may well contribute to to the "tinkiness".
    In an attempt to understand the issue I have resampled a 96kHz track to 88.2kHz and played both versions on the Radio without resampling server side. I couldn't tell them apart. One track is a rather small sample of course.

More importantly though I'd like to suggest to include the custom convert rule as standard to let the Radio play 96kHz streams such as the one mentioned above.