Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    129

    Sticky Boom Knobs and rubber material

    For all those who struggle with sticky rubber parts and knobs:
    I just found on the German Ebay an offer for 3D-Printed knobs and replacement stickers for the other rubber parts.
    I have not tested them, however this seems to be an innovative idea to solve the issue.
    There are many photos showing the procedure and a detailed description in German with the limitations and advantages...
    The sellers name is "donscore"
    You can find the offer at https://www.ebay.de/itm/Squeezebox-B...f/153792458381.
    He also offers 3D- Replacement knobs for the radio...
    In case this works, let the community of sticky knob know....

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by frankd View Post
    For all those who struggle with sticky rubber parts and knobs:
    I just found on the German Ebay an offer for 3D-Printed knobs and replacement stickers for the other rubber parts.
    I have not tested them, however this seems to be an innovative idea to solve the issue.
    There are many photos showing the procedure and a detailed description in German with the limitations and advantages...
    The sellers name is "donscore"
    You can find the offer at https://www.ebay.de/itm/Squeezebox-B...f/153792458381.
    He also offers 3D- Replacement knobs for the radio...
    In case this works, let the community of sticky knob know....
    In the meantime I tried the knobs for the Radio / Boom - they fit well and will prevent the the sticky feeling. First touch might be "special" as they are of hard material and there is an edge at the front (no surprised as described by the ebay seller).
    I have not yet tried the stickers, however they look professional and given the positive experience with the knobs and the very detailed and honest description of the knobs and stickers on ebay , I am very confident that the stickers work as well.
    Thus another big thumbs up on rescuing the Booms and Radios which have an excellent hardware foundation except of the front panels.... Together with JoeMuc2009 this is an excellent resource for Booms :-)
    Among 4 radios and 1 boom playing 8 years in my appartment I only have one fatal case (Probably some electronic problem) and that case even will serve me as source for other radios...

    It seems that there is a market - The seller Donscore renewed his offers:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/153792458381
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/153791278186

    I am in no way associated with the seller - thus this is a true community report to help the community.
    Frank
    Last edited by frankd; 2020-03-02 at 08:21.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3
    Hi there,
    i'm the seller on ebay of those knobs and stickers.
    In the meantime i was able to reduce the edge as much as possible.

    Due to forum-rules i'm not allowed to offer them here, but i would realy like to give forum-members better pricing compared to ebay.
    At least the money i have to pay to ebay and paypal.
    If those two lines are against the rules, please just delete this text complete.

    I'm producing just in this moment. They still have to be spraypainted. But to the end of the week, there should be new knobs for the Radio and the Boom available.

    Have questions? Feel free to ask. I'll give my best to write my answers in english.

    Greatings from Germany,
    don

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by doncore View Post
    Hi there,
    i'm the seller on ebay of those knobs and stickers.
    In the meantime i was able to reduce the edge as much as possible.

    Due to forum-rules i'm not allowed to offer them here, but i would realy like to give forum-members better pricing compared to ebay.
    At least the money i have to pay to ebay and paypal.
    If those two lines are against the rules, please just delete this text complete.

    I'm producing just in this moment. They still have to be spraypainted. But to the end of the week, there should be new knobs for the Radio and the Boom available.

    Have questions? Feel free to ask. I'll give my best to write my answers in english.

    Greatings from Germany,
    don
    I have just received one pair of knobs from Don today. Just installed them and let me say: I like them
    Thanks a lot Don for creating those knobs and selling them

    Best regards.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3
    Glad you like them.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    13

    Sticky rubber

    I've had good results with using an automotive tar and glue remover to clean the old sticky rubber layer from both the Boom knob and front panel, as well as an older remote that had turned sticky.

    I used this as I had some, it was very effective: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Finess.../dp/B00D1R2BT2

    They didn't need any refinishing afterwards, it just reveals the glossy plastic underneath.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    664
    Great, thank you so much for making an effort to keep the squeezebox devices functional!!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    117
    As far as I have heard one can also get the sticky material off with a solvent like alcohol or something similar. Then the knobs don't have the softer rubber surface anymore, but are very ok to use.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by schup011 View Post
    As far as I have heard one can also get the sticky material off with a solvent like alcohol or something similar. Then the knobs don't have the softer rubber surface anymore, but are very ok to use.
    I can confirm this. Cleaned them with Bacillol-Wipes (basically alcohol wipes). You have to scrub a bit but then the rubber comes of and a pristine plastic finish is achieved.
    Thiemo

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    664
    A rubber cleaner for printer rolls also dissolve the sticky layer.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •