Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You could post a link to the relevant thread on here. There only seems to be one member over there who thinks it is "nonsense".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I could but probably won't!
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    I could but probably won't!
    Yup it would probably attract more abuse.

A gentle hint I made yesterday about 'other ways to use Sonos devices' was promptly put down as 'nonsense' by one of these characters.
    Let me guess... user "jgatie" Whenever I've tried talking about how I use LMS to get around Sonos' 65K track limit and limited 24 bit support, he's usually the one to go on the attack about LMS! You'd think he'd be happy that his precious Sonos brand is being used by people who'd otherwise be hit by their limitations. I've stopped visiting the Sonos forums now due to my frustration whenever jgatie starts being a keyboard warrior in the vast majority of his posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Not really.. Still the same outcome.

Gotta admit I made the move to Sonos about 1 year ago, retiring LMS and my Pi2 and PiCorePlayer setup. Actually sold a nice Bryston amp and Audiolabs DAC/Pre combo and bought the Sonos Amp to replace it all.

I then lost some brain cells and retired my AVR and old discreet 5.1 setup in my basement to go with a Beam initially and have upgraded it to a 5.1 setup in my home theatre by adding a pair of rears (cheap Ikea Symfonisk speakers) and Sonos Sub.

To be fair there is the allure of "it just works" and I (and more importantly the wife) likes the lack of wires and its streamlined appearance - a basement reno sealed all of the wires fate. The other reason for the switch was Apple Music support. Airplay worked well enough for a single person but I just missed having a shared queue for stuff like that. Sometimes my wife would like to queue up stuff, or friends - airplay didn't work for that (Spotty plugin and Spotify however was great...)

None of my Sonos stuff is old enough to be legacy but on the Sonos forums I too have mentioned LMS/Squeeze as an alternative.

I do still keep checking in here though. Hoping for a AM plugin for LMS. I will say without a doubt iPeng is probably the nicest music controller app Ive used. Not sure if Pippin is a ux/ui guy IRL but its truly designed for a touch device with it use of swipe gestures. Its fluid, intuitive to use, and just works. On Android I find Squeeze CTRL a close second but Ive been off Android for awhile. Those both put the official Sonos app to shame (so many menus rather than putting control front and centre) and though they have released an API hardly anyone has attempted to write a 3rd party app for Sonos.

I am curious - if it ever came to it, how would I use Sonos devices with LMS (as player endpoints I assume). Some have airplay 1/2 so could be bridged via that plugin. Are Sonos devices also upnp/dnla compatible as well? Would that plugin work. Would it be better than the airplay one?

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRich View Post
    I am curious - if it ever came to it, how would I use Sonos devices with LMS (as player endpoints I assume). Some have airplay 1/2 so could be bridged via that plugin. Are Sonos devices also upnp/dnla compatible as well? Would that plugin work. Would it be better than the airplay one?
    Castalla uses UPnP plugin with his. ISTR issues with interop over Airplay 2 with Sonos but not sure.

I picked up some Eltek speakers today for 10GBP from someone who has recently made the switch to Sonos for his home set-up.
    He was aware of the recent news but only recently bought so should be safe for a few years. One of the reasons that he went for them was because of their (prior) track record in supporting old players (if not their controllers).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRich View Post
    Gotta admit I made the move to Sonos about 1 year ago, retiring LMS and my Pi2 and PiCorePlayer setup. Actually sold a nice Bryston amp and Audiolabs DAC/Pre combo and bought the Sonos Amp to replace it all.

I then lost some brain cells and retired my AVR and old discreet 5.1 setup in my basement to go with a Beam initially and have upgraded it to a 5.1 setup in my home theatre by adding a pair of rears (cheap Ikea Symfonisk speakers) and Sonos Sub.

To be fair there is the allure of "it just works" and I (and more importantly the wife) likes the lack of wires and its streamlined appearance - a basement reno sealed all of the wires fate. The other reason for the switch was Apple Music support. Airplay worked well enough for a single person but I just missed having a shared queue for stuff like that. Sometimes my wife would like to queue up stuff, or friends - airplay didn't work for that (Spotty plugin and Spotify however was great...)

None of my Sonos stuff is old enough to be legacy but on the Sonos forums I too have mentioned LMS/Squeeze as an alternative.

I do still keep checking in here though. Hoping for a AM plugin for LMS. I will say without a doubt iPeng is probably the nicest music controller app Ive used. Not sure if Pippin is a ux/ui guy IRL but its truly designed for a touch device with it use of swipe gestures. Its fluid, intuitive to use, and just works. On Android I find Squeeze CTRL a close second but Ive been off Android for awhile. Those both put the official Sonos app to shame (so many menus rather than putting control front and centre) and though they have released an API hardly anyone has attempted to write a 3rd party app for Sonos.

The sonos devices are upnp/dlna enabled - you can use philippe's UPNPbridge plugin - there's a configuration profile already set up for sonos. His airplay plugin doesn't handle airplay2 (as far as I know). The sonos devices appear as players to LMS.

You lose none of the sonos features ... the two systems reside side by side.

LMS control is way ahead of anything sonos have (both in ease of use and multi-system choice).

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sonos devices are upnp/dlna enabled - you can use philippe's UPNPbridge plugin - there's a configuration profile already set up for sonos. His airplay plugin doesn't handle airplay2 (as far as I know). The sonos devices appear as players to LMS.

You lose none of the sonos features ... the two systems reside side by side.

LMS control is way ahead of anything sonos have (both in ease of use and multi-system choice).
    You could also use Philippe's AirPlay bridge. That's what he suggested when I had some issues with the UPnP bridge. (Works well with my Sonos speakers.)
    Last edited by dolodobendan; 2020-01-25 at 11:21. Reason: typo
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.10.02 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.28 dedicated to me. :D / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

The sonos fiasco continues unabated. The main thread has now over 2700 posts (the original thread which was closed reached about 2000) !!!

I can't understand the psychology of many users who are off looking for alternative/replacement proprietary systems at huge cost. Bose seems the top choice (?1?).

I'm still getting flak from 'fanboys' who condemn squeezebox/LMS as outmoded/buggy, etc. Bizarre.

Brexit = ∞ stupidity