Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Install on Windows 10 Machine - Permission Denied

Ok so here is something new. This was working a day ago and now in trying to play music I get this message:

Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1255) Warning: [13:37:36.8995] Could not open \\DARIENHOMENAS\Multimedia\Music\Anderson Paak\Malibu\01 The Bird.flac for reading: Permission denied
    Slim::Player::Protocols::File:pen (101) Error: could not open \\DARIENHOMENAS\Multimedia\Music\Anderson Paak\Malibu\01 The Bird.flac: Permission denied

any ideas?

thanks... darien
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III
    Marantz 2270 to Boston Acoustics Slimlines
    Marantz 7010 to B&W CM10 S2

Can you access that file on the NAS from the same Windows machine using File Manager with same path?

Anything changed on the NAS recently?
    Does it have logs showing access errors with reasons?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Do you use Windows to set the files' permissions on the NAS? If yes, my guess would be that these files were created with your old Windows user. The new Windows user doesn't automatically have access to these files, even it's the same name and password. Take ownership and change the permission to your new user. If no, same answer.
    QLMS 8.0.0@2.20 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    Do you use Windows to set the files' permissions on the NAS? If yes, my guess would be that these files were created with your old Windows user. The new Windows user doesn't automatically have access to these files, even it's the same name and password. Take ownership and change the permission to your new user. If no, same answer.
    I can browse the file location within windows. So the new LMS is also in tandem setting up a new computer. I did put a password on the NAS file locations when I purchased the NAS 10 years ago. When I browsed to the NAS the first time with my new setup, I entered the password and was able to then set up the network shares. I would actually love to take this password off all together but as I only do this once in a blue moon as I am setting everything up, I don't remember how. Any details on how to "take ownership and change permission to my new user" would be greatly appreciated.
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III

New Install on Windows 10 Machine- Permission Denied

> Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1255) Warning: [13:37:36.8995] Could not open
    > \\DARIENHOMENAS\Multimedia\Music\Anderson Paak\Malibu\01 The Bird.flac
    > for reading: Permission denied
    > Slim::Player::Protocols::File:pen (101) Error: could not open
    > \\DARIENHOMENAS\Multimedia\Music\Anderson Paak\Malibu\01 The Bird.flac:
    > Permission denied

What user is running the LMS service? If it's the default service user,
    then this is not allowed to access the network share. You'll have to
    configure it to run as some user who can access the NAS.

--

Michael

As you are on a QNAP and setting up your system, you could run digimaster's QLMS. I would guess that you're still using SSOTS or whatever that was called.

I never completely understood how QNAP is managing permissions (especially when Windows is involved). It may be set up in a way that Windows is managing the permissions. But you say you still have access to your files, so I guess it's QNAP only managing the permissions. I can only describe how it's done on my NAS, some things may be named differently on your system.

1. Log on to your NAS
    2. Go to Control Panel
    3. Go to Shared Folders
    4. Click on Edit Shared Folder Permissions
    5. Find you music library
    6. Give Read Only access to user "squeezeboxserver" (set "Apply changes to files and subfolders")
    7. Click "Apply"
    8. Find your playlist library
    9. Give Read/Write access to user "squeezeboxserver" (set "Apply changes to files and subfolders")
    10. Click "Apply"

If it's completely different on your system, you could use WinSCP instead to log on to your NAS, then set the permissions for your music library directory (you'll have to find it first. Check "Information" in LMS' settings to see what path is used.), to "everyone", owner is your user, octal 0775. and tick "Set group, owner and permissions recursively. Do the same for your playlist directory, but with "squeezeboxserver" as the owner and 0777 octal.

Then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by dolodobendan View Post
    As you are on a QNAP and setting up your system, you could run digimaster's QLMS. I would guess that you're still using SSOTS or whatever that was called.

I never completely understood how QNAP is managing permissions (especially when Windows is involved). It may be set up in a way that Windows is managing the permissions. But you say you still have access to your files, so I guess it's QNAP only managing the permissions. I can only describe how it's done on my NAS, some things may be named differently on your system.

1. Log on to your NAS
    2. Go to Control Panel
    3. Go to Shared Folders
    4. Click on Edit Shared Folder Permissions
    5. Find you music library
    6. Give Read Only access to user "squeezeboxserver" (set "Apply changes to files and subfolders")
    7. Click "Apply"
    8. Find your playlist library
    9. Give Read/Write access to user "squeezeboxserver" (set "Apply changes to files and subfolders")
    10. Click "Apply"

If it's completely different on your system, you could use WinSCP instead to log on to your NAS, then set the permissions for your music library directory (you'll have to find it first. Check "Information" in LMS' settings to see what path is used.), to "everyone", owner is your user, octal 0775. and tick "Set group, owner and permissions recursively. Do the same for your playlist directory, but with "squeezeboxserver" as the owner and 0777 octal.

Then try again.
    Oh very helpful. Is squeezeboxserver the user for LMS? I think I'll have to also create that user in the NAS, yes?
    LMS 7.9.1 on QNAP 219P+
    3 wired Touch End Points
    Jolida Tube DAC III

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    Oh very helpful. Is squeezeboxserver the user for LMS?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dhallag View Post
    I think I'll have to also create that user in the NAS, yes?
    I never had to do that. I think it was created when installing LMS / SSOTS. But it could also be created by QLMS. As I've mentioned, you probably want to use QLMS. It's an installer (like SSOTS was) for LMS that makes life easier on a QNAP.

Regarding the password: Your Windows user has to match your NAS user (username and password).

squeezeboxserver is NOT the user on a Windows install - its whatever user you run it as - you need an identically named user and password on the Qnap who has at least read access to the Multimedia share (read/write if you are going to use playlists on the Qnap) and that share must persist when you reboot the Windows PC

All in all itĺs much easier using a Pi or some other *nix machine
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng