Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pi Set up GOOD NEWS!!

Hi all

Didnt want to use the same thread post (Its got too many bad memories for me).But if your late to the party and want too see its here:
    .https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Pi-HDD-set-up

So when trying to set up picore/LMS I could not attach my HDD. Unfortunately, My HDD was NEVER going to make "a Guest appearance" In my Pi set up.The Reason: I was using the 3.0 USB port On my Pi (In my world "the blue ones..").
    Correct me if Iam wrong, but dont they have the faster transfer rates..? Also thought they were backward compatible.
    To further throw me off course, The portable Ext. HDD Light was on during set up to the point of HDD mount- everything seemed O.K.

So, I have missed something here..? the other 2 USB ports worked fine. Thanks to Kidstypikes advice to use USB thumb Drive got me round the back of Pi and Sorted it. Using 3.0 cable, maybe faulty PI..? power output problem..?

BTW: Pi/LMS> SBT working flawless now for a few days.....(I had tears of Joy seeing my HDD in Set up!)

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Hi all

Didnt want to use the same thread post (Its got too many bad memories for me).But if your late to the party and want too see its here:
    .https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-Pi-HDD-set-up

So when trying to set up picore/LMS I could not attach my HDD. Unfortunately, My HDD was NEVER going to make "a Guest appearance" In my Pi set up.The Reason: I was using the 3.0 USB port On my Pi (In my world "the blue ones..").
    Correct me if Iam wrong, but dont they have the faster transfer rates..? Also thought they were backward compatible.
    To further throw me off course, The portable Ext. HDD Light was on during set up to the point of HDD mount- everything seemed O.K.

So, I have missed something here..? the other 2 USB ports worked fine. Thanks to Kidstypikes advice to use USB thumb Drive got me round the back of Pi and Sorted it. Using 3.0 cable, maybe faulty PI..? power output problem..?

BTW: Pi/LMS> SBT working flawless now for a few days.....(I had tears of Joy seeing my HDD in Set up!)
    I just looked back at that thread to see if you were connecting via Ethernet or Wireless.

I didn't get far as I noticed a post I had missed

my power supply is this one: 5V 3A

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BERLS-Adapt...mputers&sr=1-5
    This is not a power supply but a charger.

Chargers are not recommended (sepecially for the rpi4b).

You need at the very least, one of these

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-power-supply/

all the best

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I just looked back at that thread to see if you were connecting via Ethernet or Wireless.

I didn't get far as I noticed a post I had missed

This is not a power supply but a charger.

Chargers are not recommended (sepecially for the rpi4b).

You need at the very least, one of these

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-power-supply/

all the best

ronnie
    Hi Ronnie

Did you read the specs for the OP's PSU?
    Seems OK to me

Name:  PSU.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  119.4 KB
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Yes I did, it was the bit about

"Reach up to 5v, 3amp"

which I didn't like.

that doesn't mean that it can supply the current continually.

Of course, it also doesn't mean that it won't work (I have used battery power banks, myself)....... but.

Over on the rpi forum, they always stress the difference between the two (charger v power supply, they are designed for different jobs. And remember that the initial rpi4b's wouldn't work with some chargers. I think the spec may have been amended, but I have not noticed any official confirmation from the rpi folk, I might, of course, have missed it ).

No big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Yes I did, it was the bit about

"Reach up to 5v, 3amp"

which I didn't like.

that doesn't mean that it can supply the current continually.

Of course, it also doesn't mean that it won't work (I have used battery power banks, myself)....... but.

Over on the rpi forum, they always stress the difference between the two (charger v power supply, they are designed for different jobs. And remember that the initial rpi4b's wouldn't work with some chargers. I think the spec may have been amended, but I have not noticed any official confirmation from the rpi folk, I might, of course, have missed it ).

No big deal
    When the Pi4 first came out I think there was an error on the board that meant it only worked with the official power supply which had non standard wiring to the USB connector. I think later production runs fixed this error.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

good to hear. USB 3.0 slots are typically backwards compatible, but anyhow, if it works now, it works. Have fun.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks all,

Just to let you know I am not one of those folk who buys an ú1000 iphone and buys a charger from "el cheapo.com" for ú2.00, Then complains when his/hers house is burnt down...The reason I went for this charger/P.supply was for its integrated ON/OFF switch. The Pi hut did not have any on/off adaptors(Though now they have) at the time..so went for this. I have ordered an orig. Pi one with on/off adaptor on order....I will be interested to see if theres any difference..."The plot thickens.."

Anyhow..Now Iam *seeing* this

It Works.

When I want to remove my HDD to add files then attach again to Pi do I have to remount HDD again, or does it remember ..?

Also isn't there somewhere you can check for temperature of the pi..it normally runs warm to hottish, However, as anyone in U.K. will tell you it been the hottest day of the year and I could fry an egg on my pi today.It would be interesting to know the temp today...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by daleyb; 2020-06-24 at 09:58.

Thanks all,

Just to let you know I am not one of those folk who buys an ú1000 iphone and buys a charger from "el cheapo.com" for ú2.00, Then complains when his/hers house is burnt down...The reason I went for this charger/P.supply was for its integrated ON/OFF switch. The Pi hut did not have any on/off adaptors(Though now they have) at the time..so went for this. I have ordered an orig. Pi one with on/off adaptor on order....I will be interested to see if theres any difference..."The plot thickens.."

Anyhow..Now Iam *seeing* thisName:  Pi 1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  86.8 KBName:  pi 2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  71.1 KB

It Works.

When I want to remove my HDD to add files then attach again to Pi do I have to remount HDD again, or does it remember ..?

Also isn't there somewhere you can check for temperature of the pi..it normally runs warm to hottish, However, as anyone in U.K. will tell you it been the hottest day of the year and I could fry an egg on my pi today.It would be interesting to know the temp today...

That all looks correct. You won't have to remount again. Just make sure your have done a normal exit (stopping) from the piCorePlayer software (you do this from the picoreplayer webGUI). then you can remove the USB drive and/or power to the rPi. Reattach the USB drive before powering up the rPi again, and it will automatically recognize your USB drive.

to check temp, in piCoreplayer WebGUI you'll see an item called "diagnostics" on the main page. Click on this, then click on the rpi tab (can't recall the exact name, but it's obvious) on the diagostics page and you'll see the temp listed.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) or rPi4B/pCP6.0/4TB>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.3>Squeezelite
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks all,

Anyhow..Now Iam *seeing* thisName:  Pi 1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  86.8 KBName:  pi 2.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  71.1 KB

It Works.

Temperature - On the pCP Main page, click on "Extras", then "CPU Temp", then on the temp graph page click "Start", then "Refresh", it will auto update every 60 secs.
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.1.0 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Squeezebox Touch > Edifier R980T

Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 7xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Temperature - On the pCP Main page, click on "Extras", then "CPU Temp", then on the temp graph page click "Start", then "Refresh", it will auto update every 60 secs.
    Any idea how to graph temperature using Raspbian?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk