Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smiles and congratulations

I'm still pretty new to all the pCP stuff with LMS, but thought I ought to have a go at moving on to 8.0.0

I'm totally delighted with how easy it all was, using SSH and the steps in the "How-to" guide (changing the numbers to 8.0.0, as advised above).

Only a minute or two later, version 8 is running happily. I'm full of smiles, and offer heart-felt congratulations to the pCP team who have made things so accessible for people like me who know only a bit about the insides of computers. Very, very well done!!
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3B; piCorePlayer 6 + LMS 8; HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Yamaha RX-V2700 > Jamo speakers
    Analogue: HifiBerry DAC+DSP > Speakercraft MZC-66 > whole house
    Library: External USB drive
    Android: Squeezer app

I am trying to get this running on my PiZeroW without plugging in to a monitor ala "headless" mode (I dont have an HDMI adapter). I tried following the "howto setup wifi without ethernet" after i burned the image but prior to removing the sd card, but the pi does not connect to wifi...I am using the latest version (8.0).

Can anyone recommend a solution that would work for this scenario?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by scales11 View Post
    I am trying to get this running on my PiZeroW without plugging in to a monitor ala "headless" mode (I dont have an HDMI adapter). I tried following the "howto setup wifi without ethernet" after i burned the image but prior to removing the sd card, but the pi does not connect to wifi...I am using the latest version (8.0).

Can anyone recommend a solution that would work for this scenario?

Thanks,
    I have used this method many times; on the rare occasions when it has failed, it's either a typo, or trying to connect to a 5GHz network, which the PiZeroW won't do (unless it has a USB WiFi adapter that does support 5GHz)

I did consider that I just had made a typo, but I have checked my settings and did not see one. I do have an exclamation mark in my password and it is WPA2 AES...would either of those affect this config?

IF you are using special characters, then you must use this format. for wpa_supplicant.conf

Code:
    # Maintained by user
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=staff
    # Two Character Country Code
    country=US
    update_config=1

network={
            ssid="Your SSID"
            psk="P@ssword"
            key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
            auth_alg=OPEN
    }
    Only change 3 lines
    1) country=XX (There should only be two characters here, and NO quote marks)
    2) ssid= (You need to leave the quote marks......and just change the password in the middle)
    3) psk= (This is your password. Again, leave the quote marks and change the middle)

You also need to use a good "unix" editor, like notepad++, and make sure to use unix line endings.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

I had tried using that format (per the instructions on Picoreplayer website) but to no avail. So I re-flashed the sd card and tried again...no luck.

Then i put the same SD card in a second PiZero...and it worked!

I guess I have a bad PiZero? I have 3 Pi Zeros, 2 Pi Bs, 1 Pi 3B+...I think I have noticed some stability issues with them....anyone experience this?

Never had problems with my pis that I didn't do something stupid and damage them. However, there are alot of exposed sensitive electronics, it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Never had problems with my pis that I didn't do something stupid and damage them. However, there are alot of exposed sensitive electronics, it can happen.
    I have 2 x Pi Zero W on the same WiFi.
    One works flawlessly the other displays frequent dropout. Guess which one is just 3 metres from the WAP
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

If you want good wifi on a zeroW, disable the onboard wifi and get an external USB stick....... better yet, save $5 and just get the Zero to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    If you want good wifi on a zeroW, disable the onboard wifi and get an external USB stick....... better yet, save $5 and just get the Zero to begin with.
    I agree. The one of mine that doesn’t work properly is mostly in the spares box. I had it plugged in today to test something but it’s frequent dropouts have confined it back to its home in the spares box.
    The other one however that has an attached Justboom DAC runs flawlessly off the onboard WiFi and it’s much further away from either of my WAPs.
    I wouldn’t use a Zero W if I was building for a friend though - just too flaky in some cases.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng