Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    No - but it has 4 buttons - 1 near each corner. They have been integrated using sbp;
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That was my concusion as well as I used PCP_ for the jogglerskin.

PIR_ should be fine.
    I'll go with PIR_ then. I've updated the SelectWallpaper applet, and it's working fine with 240x240 wallpapers. I've also resized all the standard wallpapers. I squished them horizontally, rather than cropping a square section from the middle because I thought they looked better - too much detail in the abstract patterns was lost when cropping.

I've also made progress with the screensavers. I've got the Analog clock and the (three) digital clocks working properly, so just the Dot Matrix and Word clocks to go. I'll PM you with a download link for those two updated applets when I'm all done.

Getting there:

Just the word clock to go.

The word clock for the QVGA skins isn't quite the same as for the larger displays, but if the original authors didn't manage to fit the full word clock onto a 320x240 or a 240x320 display, then I'm certainly not going to try to fit it onto a 240x240 display.

Instead I've made the QVGA version work. I had to enlarge the 'date as words' font at the bottom to make it readable. It's nice that the default action is to scroll it if it's too wide.

So I'll do a bit more testing, and then I should be able to post these two updated applets.

With Jivelite now working properly, it's possible to use it to control other players. But of course, the way I had the A and B buttons configured previously, they only worked on the local Squeezelite instance, so it made sense to reconfigure them to use Jivelite keyboard controls instead, since these go to the selected player.

So now I've set them up as follows:

# button A
    Short Press: KEY_EQUAL ( = volume up)
    Long Press: KEY_SPACE ( = pause)

# button B
    Short Press: KEY_MINUS ( = volume down)
    Long Press: KEY_Q ( = power)

I made the long press on button B a bit longer (1 second) so that I don't accidentally power off the player.
    With this configuration I can control a different player rather nicely. 'Pause' will function as a 'play' button if the payer is already paused - effectively a toggle. There's no FF/Rew buttons, but I can select tracks by going RIGHT from the Now Playing screen.

Great work Chill !
    I am jealous and still waiting for my pirate audio board.
    But I am happy to see that almost all the functionality of this board is harvested for pCP.
    Especially the clock is nice, as I plan to use it as a bed side set. ;-)

One thought though, what do we know of the back-light ?
    It seems a LCD with led back-light, but is that back-light controllable ?
    And has the hardware design been shared already, so we can see what is used ?

Ultimately it would be good if the hardware was detectable, and less tech users could have it automagically configured.

I have also ordered a similar 240/240 screen on a Chinese pi hat that also has a touch and a to it.
    When that arrives ( in a few weeks ) I hope I can reuse most of your work, and add the touch part to it.
    it has a xpt2046 touch controller ( from the photo of the silk screen ) so we should be able to do something with existing software.

More Later, M-H

Edit:
    It seems to have a PWM backlight controlled by 'pin 13'
    Source : https://github.com/pimoroni/pirate-a...cklight-pwm.py
    Last edited by M-H; 2020-01-22 at 11:34. Reason: additional info
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

Really great stuff here.. I am looking at building a Pi based player to go with a stereo/av system with a screen etc packaged nicely. Ideally would like a little bigger touch screen but the 7" looks way too big. Then several embedded players with just volume control rotary encoder and maybe pause/unpause pushbutton. SqueezeAMP is also very interesting, but I prefer to hardwire with ethernet everywhere I can.

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    Great work Chill !
    I have also ordered a similar 240/240 screen on a Chinese pi hat that also has a touch and a to it.
    When that arrives ( in a few weeks ) I hope I can reuse most of your work, and add the touch part to it.
    Yes the clock screen shots look great!

I think you'll find that the QVGA skins, ie. controller, radio and chill's new skin, don't fully support touch functions as both of these systems don't have touch screens only buttons.

I used to use the QVGA portrait skin with jivelite on my desktop, all the time as it's small, now using chill's smaller one. You can navigate forward in the menus, but you can't move back, have to use the keyboard and there are no player controls on the skin, so you have to use the keyboard for those as well. YMMV.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by M-H View Post
    Edit:
    It seems to have a PWM backlight controlled by 'pin 13'
    Source : https://github.com/pimoroni/pirate-a...cklight-pwm.py
    Good find. The 'pigs' program that comes with the pigpio.tcz extension allows pins to be controlled by PWM. So in fact it's very easy to control the brightness on this board.

Maximum brightness:
    Code:
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ pigs PWM 13 255
    Off:
    Code:
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ pigs PWM 13 0
    It should therefore be straightforward to write an applet to call 'pigs'. In fact, there are already a couple of applets to start from - there's the pCP one that is intended for the official display, and there's one that was written for the Joggler. Either of those should be a good basis for a Pirate Audio brightness applet.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You can navigate forward in the menus, but you can't move back, have to use the keyboard and there are no player controls on the skin, so you have to use the keyboard for those as well. YMMV.
    Do you mean you can't move back in the menus with just a mouse? I guess on a desktop that's not a problem, because you can use the arrow keys. With the X and Y buttons on the Pirate Audio board configured as the arrow keys it's fully navigable. The 250ms long press is just long enough that it's not accidentally triggered by a click, but can easily be triggered with no more than a slightly more deliberate click.