Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    Still struggling to get the clock screensavers to work, so I'm not quite ready with the skin yet - don't want to waste your time with a partial version that has to be updated soon after.
    @Ralphy
    I've realised that I can't get these to work because the clock applet itself is aware of which skin they're being called from, and loads the background images itself. Currently there's no code in the clock applet to deal with the QVGA240squareSkin. I may have a go at updating the clock applet to suit in the coming days.

So in the meantime I've sent you a download link for the QVGA240squareSkin as it currently stands. I'm not aware of any problems with it apart from it's incompatibility with the current clock applet. If you can add this to the pcp-jivelite_qvgaskins.tcz extension, then the rest of your updates should work.

Quote Originally Posted by JQW View Post
    Iĺm not sure that the reference to the Pearl 8x8 font works. It does work on Raspbian where more fonts are built into the kernel.
    Yes, that could do with looking at. When I changed the framebuffer dimensions in config.txt, the appearance of the boot screen messages changed. I haven't explored why that is yet.

I use the RPI defconfigs (With only minor tweaks), I don't think they enable extra stuff after that. Fonts are built in.

CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
    CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y

are the only fonts built into the kernel.

which are called VGA8x16, VGA8x8 for the fbcon setting. I think I added in Pearl at one point in the past when I was trying to debug a kernel panic at boot.....need to see more info on my screen. If it really would help, I can do that.
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-01-20 at 17:27.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Thanks Paul - I'll give those a go. I've actually just tried removing those two fbcon parameters from cmdline.txt, with the expected result that nothing appears on the display during boot. It actually makes for a really nice clean effect - the first thing that shows is the piCorePlayer splash screen.

VGA8x8 must be the default - it looks the same with or without that parameter. But when I change it to VGA8x16 the text is a lot more readable.

I don't normally do this..... But does this handle what you need.

Name:  2020-01-20_22-52.png
Views: 153
Size:  65.8 KB

Also, let me know when your ready, I think we can handle the rest of the scripting in an extension.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post

Also, let me know when your ready, I think we can handle the rest of the scripting in an extension.

Paul
    That looks perfect, thank you.

I'm very impressed at the speed and clarity with which you and Ralphy have taken this on. I can barely keep up. I'll try out Ralphy's earlier updates after work today.

Bundling all of this into an extension would be fantastic. Ralphy has the current version of the 240square skin to add to the QVGA extension. The only other change I'd suggest to my earlier list of steps is to use VGA8x16 instead of PEARL8x8 in cmdline.txt. It seems like PEARL8x8 wasn't recognised anyway, so it was defaulting to VGA8x8 - VGA8x16 is a lot easier on the eyes. Apart from that I don't think I have anything to add regarding getting this particular device working. Later on I'll have a go at the clock applet to see if I can get some of the clock screensavers working with this skin.

Name:  2020-01-20_22-52.png
Views: 153
Size:  65.8 KB

Paul
    I note that physical and virtual geometry*, plus display depth, can all be discovered by the fbset command:
    Code:
    tc@piCorePlayer:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb1 -s

mode "240x240-0"
    	# D: 0.000 MHz, H: 0.000 kHz, V: 0.000 Hz
    	geometry 240 240 240 240 16
    	timings 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    	accel false
    	rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0
    endmode
    So is the purpose of the Width, Height and Frame Depth parameters in the interface above to allow these to be overridden? If not, is there a case for making those read-only boxes that are populated when a framebuffer device is selected (from a drop-down list perhaps)?

*The geometry parameters will match to whatever are the values of framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height in config.txt. If those parameters aren't set, then fbset seems to report the physical geometry. In testing this I learned that the framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height parameters in config.txt are redundant if they are simply set to match the physical geometry, so that's another step that can be removed from my earlier list of instructions!

To set the screen size in the config.txt I assume fbset will report wrong if you don't specify screen size in config.txt

To set the screen size in the config.txt I assume fbset will report wrong if you don't specify screen size in config.txt
    When I removed the framebuffer_width and _height parameters from config.txt, fbset still reported /dev/fb1 as 240x240. /dev/fb0 came back with dimensions that didn't seem to match any standard display geometries that I recognise (I didn't keep a record, and I don't have the device to hand to check).

So I'm guessing that those parameters in config.txt are only needed if you want to override the physical geometry.