Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
    Are you sure they are SPI? SDA and SDL are typically i2c signals.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Are you sure they are SPI? SDA and SDL are typically i2c signals.
    Well I don't really know enough to know the difference, but this one says '4-Wire SPI Interface' in the description, and on the back of the PCB it says 'Interface: SPI'. The description also includes a pin description:
    Pin Descriptions:
    PIN No Symbol Description
    1 GND Soil
    2 VDC Power 3.3 V
    3 SCL Series watch pin
    4 SDA Data Entry Series
    5 RES LCM Reset pin
    This pin is resetting the signal input. When the pin is low, the initialization of the chip is
    Executed! Keep this plug high during normal operation.
    6 DC Data / Control
    7 BLK Control pin background
    I've tried all sorts of combinatinations but haven't been able to get the display to do anything.

I think the Chinese employee who make this got lost in translation. Try to hook the SCL to the SPI SCLK line and SDA to the SPI MOSI line. Then I would also connect 3.3v to CE0 or CE1, and use the appropriate cs=0 or cs=1. I'm pretty sure SPI and the drivers need the chip select option.

MISO line is not used by a st7789v SPI interface. Perhaps some data in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial...eral_Interface
    might give you a clue as to what they might have done.
    Last edited by paul-; 2020-02-22 at 11:00.

Thanks for the suggestions Paul - still no joy I'm afraid. I'll have a bit of a read and see what I can find.

If you grab the latest pcp6 update/image, you can play with the new overlay. Detailed configuration info is in the overlays/README file

dtoverlay=st7789v-spi

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    If you grab the latest pcp6 update/image, you can play with the new overlay. Detailed configuration info is in the overlays/README file

dtoverlay=st7789v-spi
    That's great, thanks Paul

I did an insitu update, then replaced both modprobe commands in /opt/bootlocal.sh with a single dtoverlay in config.txt. All the defaults worked perfectly with my Pirate Audio board, so no extra options were needed, but the rotation and row_offset options also work perfectly.

This feels like the end of the journey with this board - thanks to you and Ralphy it's now fully supported by pCP, with minimal setup steps. I'll post one final summary of the setup steps.

Yes, thanks, Paul, I'll try the new beta too.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    This feels like the end of the journey with this board - thanks to you and Ralphy it's now fully supported by pCP, with minimal setup steps. I'll post one final summary of the setup steps.
    Do you have any idea how to turn off the screen? I suppose it is a feature of Jivelite but I cannot find it. I guess it can be done by toggling one of the gpio pins - but which one? I cannot find a schematic for the Pirate Audio board. And there are some ST7789 shutdown-commands to consider, too.

Quote Originally Posted by nincompoop View Post
    Do you have any idea how to turn off the screen? I suppose it is a feature of Jivelite but I cannot find it. I guess it can be done by toggling one of the gpio pins - but which one? I cannot find a schematic for the Pirate Audio board. And there are some ST7789 shutdown-commands to consider, too.
    There is a 'Display Off' screensaver (Settings > Screen > Screensavers). You can assign that to 'When Stopped' and/or 'When Off', and set a delay, so that the display goes completely off when the player isn't doing anything.

You can also set a screen brightness level for when the player is off (Settings > piCorePlayer > Adjust Display Backlight Brightness when Powered Off), so that you can, for instance, use one of the clock screensavers instead, but set the brightness to a very low level so that it doesn't disturb at night.
    Last edited by chill; 2020-02-26 at 01:25.

There is a 'Display Off' screensaver (Settings > Screen > Screensavers). You can assign that to 'When Stopped' and/or 'When Off', and set a delay, so that the display goes completely off when the player isn't doing anything.
    Duh..! Well, of course. Thanks!

You can also set a screen brightness level for when the player is off (Settings > piCorePlayer > Adjust Display Backlight Brightness when Powered Off), so that you can, for instance, use one of the clock screensavers instead, but set the brightness to a very low level so that it doesn't disturb at night.
    Nice tip, thank you.

One of my intended uses of the Pirate Audio/PiZero device was as a player for my portable server based on a WD Wireless Passport drive. I'm unclear how to update the Linaro linux distro on that device, and consequently several issues arise, such as installing Spotty and Material (I think related to missing IO::Socket::SSL - but maybe hardware incompatibility).

So I installed LMS on the Pi Zero, and I'm now using the Remote Library plugin to access the LMS library on the portable server. Seems to work well enough for usability. Material runs nicely with the MAI plugin, the music played scrobbles to Last.FM etc. Spotty is installed but not yet configured.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob