Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Looks to me as though the issue is the execution of sbpd-script.sh
    Robert
    Indeed, I removed ( uninstalled ) pcp-dbpd.tcz, and have jivelite back.

M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

Looks to me as though the issue is the execution of sbpd-script.sh

Robert
    If I omit the command from the User Commands section and instead run sudo /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh via the command line, then evrything works as expected.

I expect this will turn out to be obvious!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

If I omit the command from the User Commands section and instead run sudo /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh via the command line, then everything works as expected.
    Robert
    Confirmed. And if started like
    Code:
    sudo /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh &
    the CLI is available again.

However the pi with working buttons is not stable with its USB network dongle.
    It does loose its network connection . after some time or x amount of button presses.
    So now I am leaving it run for a while, monitoring the network availability and enjoying the music.

M-H
    Last edited by M-H; 2020-01-25 at 14:47.
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

You have to setup the sound first.

pigpiod requires a clock source. The rpi hardware has 2 clocks. 1 for PWM that the internal audio uses, or PCM that i2s dacs use.

Chills' scripts tell pigpid too use the pwm clock......but if you are trying to use the internal audio, it will cause all kinds of problems.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    ... These are really nice boards for the Raspberry Pi, with versions for a headphone amp, a line out, a 3W amp with speaker terminals, and even one with a built-in 1W speaker. I've been working on the line out version, but I also bought one of the 3W amp boards, and the screen and buttons work exactly the same as the line out version (unsurprisingly)...
    Hi there,

the pirate audio boards look good. In combination with a Raspberry Pi Zero, they are the ideal all-in-one solution for a small player. But I'm afraid these boards are discontinued because they are no longer available? I found the amplifier version at Amazon and ordered one right away before it is no longer available.
    I am currently working on another project, but in the near future I will deal with the Pirate Audio Board.

Regards
    piPlayer

Quote Originally Posted by piPlayer View Post
    Hi there,

the pirate audio boards look good. In combination with a Raspberry Pi Zero, they are the ideal all-in-one solution for a small player. But I'm afraid these boards are discontinued because they are no longer available? I found the amplifier version at Amazon and ordered one right away before it is no longer available.
    I am currently working on another project, but in the near future I will deal with the Pirate Audio Board.

Regards
    piPlayer
    Pimoroni were out of stock a few days ago (I got one via Amazon) - but all models appear to be in stock again at Pimoroni.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2 with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > Raspberry Pi 3 with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

I just ran through the install process again, from the top, and haven't encountered the problem that Grumpy Bob and M-H have reported. I used the 'line out' version of the Pirate Audio board. I'm about to try the steps again on the '3W amp' version in case there's something different. I'm not going to add to the confusion by posting the steps again, until I've checked that they work on the 3W amp board.

The brightness controls now seem to work as they did on my own development version - thanks Ralphy. A few points to note:
    1) The Display Off screensaver is implemented (Settings > Screen > Screensavers > When playing/stopped/off > Display Off)
    2) The brightness control 'when on' is implemented (Settings > piCorePlayer > Adjust Display Backlight Brightness).
    3) The brightness control 'when off' is NOT yet implemented (Settings > piCorePlayer > Adjust Display Backlight Brightness when Powered Off). Because these settings labels are quite long and the screen is narrow, both of these settings look the same in the menu until you let them scroll across the screen. The one that IS implemented is the 4th menu item in the piCorePlayer applet, and the one that is NOT implemented is the 5th one.
    4) The screen brightness is only recalled at the next boot if you do a backup before rebooting.

I ran through the installation on the '3W amp' board, and it's working as expected, with Jivelite, button control and the correct sound card loaded. But....

There IS an apparent difference from the line out card, in that some of the pCP menus are more sluggish, especially the Sqeezelite page. Even though I've set the sound output device to the HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP, and sound is coming from the attached speakers, the Squeezelite page sometimes loads very slowly, and sometimes shows 'Analog' as the output device, with only a truncated list of output devices to choose from. The 'Change Squeezelite settings' section below the main output device section shows 'hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry' in the output setting.

So maybe there is a hardware difference with this version of the card.

But I don't get any difference in this behaviour whether sbpd-script.sh is running or not. In either case the board is fully functional. So in case there are any misunderstandings, here are the exact steps that I've followed with both boards (EDIT: I've edited these since this post, to take account of recent updates):

N.B. These steps are now superseded. With the release of the pcp6-b9 image, I've made a new set of instructions here.
    Best steps as of 30JAN2020:
    Put a fresh pcp6-b7 image on the SD card.

Whilst the SD card is still in the laptop:
    Enter wifi credentials in wpa_supplicant.conf.sample and save as wpa_supplicant.conf

Add these parameters to the end of cmdline.txt. All of the parameters in cmdline.txt should be on one continuous line, with a space between each one.
    Code:
    fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x16
    Boot the RPi from this SD card.

The default file system is 64mb, so for this basic setup it is not necessary to resize the FS - I have about 7mb to spare after this setup.

Add these commands to /opt/bootlocal.sh to set up the framebuffer. Make sure they are inserted near the top of the file, BEFORE pcp_startup.sh. (The init string in flexfb has now been constructed to match the settings found in Pimoroni's sample 'def _init(self)' Python function here). Note that the third line of the init code, highlighted in bold, can be changed to '-1,0x36,0x70,\' (as per the Pimoroni original settings) to rotate the display 90 degrees clockwise.
    Code:
    modprobe flexfb setaddrwin=0 width=240 height=240 init=\
    -1,0x01,\
    -2,150,\
    -1,0x36,0x00,\
    -1,0xB2,0x0C,0x0C,0x00,0x33,0x33,\
    -1,0x3A,0x05,\
    -1,0xB7,0x14,\
    -1,0xBB,0x37,\
    -1,0xC0,0x2C,\
    -1,0xC2,0x01,\
    -1,0xC3,0x12,\
    -1,0xC4,0x20,\
    -1,0xD0,0xA4,0xA1,\
    -1,0xC6,0x0F,\
    -1,0xE0,0xD0,0x04,0x0D,0x11,0x13,0x2B,0x3F,0x54,0x4C,0x18,0x0D,0x0B,0x1F,0x23,\
    -1,0xE1,0xD0,0x04,0x0C,0x11,0x13,0x2C,0x3F,0x44,0x51,0x2F,0x1F,0x1F,0x20,0x23,\
    -1,0x21,\
    -1,0x11,\
    -1,0x29,\
    -2,100,\
    modprobe fbtft_device name=flexfb speed=32000000 cs=1 gpios=dc:9
    Add these variables to /usr/local/etc/pcp/pcp.cfg
    Code:
    JL_FRAME_BUFFER="/dev/fb1"
    JL_FRAME_RATE=""
    JL_FRAME_DEPTH=""
    Load the pcp-jivelite_default-qvga240squareskin.tcz extension

Install Jivelite from the Tweaks page (this step includes an automatic backup, so accept the reboot prompt.)

Screen should show console messages during boot, then piCorePlayer splash screen, then Jivelite ‘Choose Language’.

install pcp-sbpd.tcz

Make a /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh with the content shown below.

Make /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh executable: chmod +x /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh

Add /home/tc/sbpd-script.sh to user commands, then save (this step includes an automatic backup, so go to main page and reboot).

Follow Ralphy’s instructions to get lcd-brightness.sh

Backup and Reboot

Jivelite should be fully functional now, including navigation with the four buttons.

Set up the Squeezelite output device, e.g. to 'HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP'

Add this to config.txt
    Code:
    gpio=25=op,dh
    Reboot one more time to finish the process.
    Last edited by chill; 2020-02-09 at 03:32. Reason: Updated instructions.

There IS an apparent difference from the line out card, in that some of the pCP menus are more sluggish, especially the Sqeezelite page. Even though I've set the sound output device to the HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP, and sound is coming from the attached speakers, the Squeezelite page sometimes loads very slowly, and sometimes shows 'Analog' as the output device, with only a truncated list of output devices to choose from. The 'Change Squeezelite settings' section below the main output device section shows 'hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry' in the output setting.

Strike that - swapping back to the 'line out' version (but keeping the same SD card), I'm seeing the same sluggishness in the pCP Squeezelite page, and the same tendency for the output device to show Analog and give me only a truncated list of devices to choose from. So no evidence of any difference between the boards. Maybe the slow Pi Zero is relevant here.

There IS an apparent difference from the line out card, in that some of the pCP menus are more sluggish, especially the Sqeezelite page.
    Hi Chill,
    There is likely a bit of difference in the boards that needs attention on the SW side.
    With a bit more attention to the music rather than the working of display and buttons, I found the 3W version does not output sound properly using either the generic TI5102 and the HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP driver.
    Left channel does output normally, however the right channel does output at a lower level, and does output content for left channel too.
    Is if the right channel is in mono mode and adding the 2 signals together. I tested this with a few right-left test files.
    I did verify the bottom side slide switch is in the stereo ( dual speaker ) mode.
    I do not know what DAC is used on this card , as I need microscopic photography to read the chips. But it looks like they used 2 separate driver chips, and perhaps 2 separate dacs built in to them. Perhaps the HW switch needs software support in the driver.
    As I don't own an other pirate radio version, I can't verify much in that range.
    But I swapped to the Phat Beat in place ( same pi, same SD ) Then there are no issue's and with both driver sets.

Your reported slowness on the display is observed too. About 60 seconds into the first song, the display starts jivelite.

The observed instability is most likely a connection issue, They always happen when I handled the set. But with working display and buttons I saw the red WIFI icon appear in te lower right corner, and I still could navigate to the settings-extra-picoreplayer-reboot command, and it restored everything.
    I will solder a header, and move to a zero W to get rid of the external dongle, and issue ( hopefully )

M-H