Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS could not reestablish any USB connection after USB Dac is disconnected

I am using RME ADI-2 DAC with latest version of piCorePlayer installed on Pi 3, and having the same USB problem as this user does: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-not-connected

Basically if I disconnect my USB Dac while LMS is playing, LMS could no longer reestablish any USB connection until I reboot my Pi 3.
    I tried to restart Squeezelite (software) and LMS service but none of them helps, it seems rebooting the device is the only way help LMS establish USB connection.

This happens when I unplug, turn off, or switch to another input on my DAC while music is playing.

A work around is to turn off the player in LMS before disconnect USB Dac. It would be great if this problem can be fixed. Thanks.

And when it happens, the playback time will mess up and keep jumping from "NaN:NaN" to "41:00"

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 9.50.45 AM.png
Views: 199
Size:  23.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kayue View Post
    Basically if I disconnect my USB Dac while LMS is playing, LMS could no longer reestablish any USB connection until I reboot my Pi 3.

Hi,
    maybe its a bug with something but there is a usecase for Picoreplayer:
    Buy some cheap stuff like a rpi a dac and maybe a display.
    Use that as a "i dont care about" my new cheap musicplayer and dont change a running system.

Why you want to disconnect your USB DAC while its playing???
    Thats kind the same like when my backup is running and i disconnect a drive the backup is broken...

It would be great if this problem can be fixed. Thanks.
    Ask the Hardware Support from your DAC

btw: http://www.rme-audio.de/products/adi_2-dac.php#9 there is nothing about "which devices we support on our USB" or "we have driver for this and that".

Thats a shame.

I am using RME ADI-2 DAC with latest version of piCorePlayer installed on Pi 3, and having the same USB problem as this user does: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-not-connected

I tried to restart Squeezelite (software) and LMS service but none of them helps, it seems rebooting the device is the only way help LMS establish USB connection.

This happens when I unplug, turn off, or switch to another input on my DAC while music is playing.

A work around is to turn off the player in LMS before disconnect USB Dac. It would be great if this problem can be fixed. Thanks.
    By "disconnect" do mean mean just select another input or remove the usb cable?

I have assumed that you have just selected another input and then returned to the usb input.

I have asked over on another forum which has a few users of the RME dac.

You may care to monitor the replies.

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    By "disconnect" do mean mean just select another input or remove the usb cable?

I have assumed that you have just selected another input and then returned to the usb input.

I have asked over on another forum which has a few users of the RME dac.

You may care to monitor the replies.

ronnie
    After few more testing, I can confirmed that USB get disconnected when USB is unplugged, or RME ADI-2 DAC is turned off.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Hi,
    maybe its a bug with something but there is a usecase for Picoreplayer:
    Buy some cheap stuff like a rpi a dac and maybe a display.
    Use that as a "i dont care about" my new cheap musicplayer and dont change a running system.

Why you want to disconnect your USB DAC while its playing???
    Thats kind the same like when my backup is running and i disconnect a drive the backup is broken...
    I am using the Pi as a music streammer. I want highest audio quality as possible therefore I chooes to use an external DAC.
    I keep the Pi on 24x7 but turn off the DAC when not playing music. Therefore I am running into this disconnect problem.

I think it is quite common that streammer doesn't get turn off, it does not even come with a power button.

And even if I pause the music before I turn off the DAC, it still get the same disconnect problem.

Hi,

since you running picoreplayer with an external powered DAC.
    That means two devices acting together as a single system.

The solution is quite simple ;-)

• dont shut only one device off

There are many ways to solve it

Hardware:

Add a shutdown key to the pi
    https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/ho...r-raspberry-pi
    And a Relay like this
    https://de.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    and some minor script that shutdown the dac thats connected to the relay while pressing the added shutdownswitch for the Pi.

Or oldskool by a switched power strip for these two devices

Software
    Or newskool with a udev rule that starts /shutdown the squeezelite session after the usb dac is powered on /off.

LMS doesn't see USB or DAC - LMS just sees the squeezelite player. So you need to check what squeezelite is "seeing" in relation to the output device (i.e. USB DAC) to know why squeezelite is disconnecting from LMS.

Enable Squeezelite logging, enact the failing scenario with logging, examine the log and if necessary compare against same scenario with a different USB DAC (e.g. detail steps and another user will report what appears in their squeezelite log)

Initially try the "-d output=debug" option which should track output device activity.

A squeezelite command line option setting may fix the problem for you but you'll only which setting if you understand what is happening within squeezelite.

It’s very common for Linux systems to not see the same USB device when it is disconnected / reconnected frequently.
    Sometimes it’s just a question of waiting for the device to unregister correctly before attempting a reconnect. In other cases a reboot is the only fix.
    I say this because we use USB disks for backup purposes on a dozen or more Linux servers. Most of the time they work sometimes they don’t.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng