Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jivelite on Alpine Linux

I've managed to build Jivelite for Alpine Linux armhf on the Raspberry Pi Zero W. I used the source from: https://github.com/ralph-irving/jivelite

No X environment, just the base install with the SDL, luajit, libpng etc. packages added. The pi is connected to my non-touch monitor via HDMI @ 1920x1080. When I start Jivelite I see "Jive Lite" on the screen briefly and then it goes to a blank screen and that's it.

When I ran fbset originally it was showing 640x480 which I don't really believe somehow, I set 1920x1080 in config.txt and fbset reflected that after reboot but it looked the same to me. Jivelite did the same thing when I started it. I can sometimes get back to the console by randomly pressing some keys on the keyboard and when I do I see some messages had been logged to the console while jivelite was running:

libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read image
    libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

I'd appreciate any tips to troubleshoot this, I feel like I'm close and would like to get this working.

I recently installed debian 9.11 on my wandboard and built jivelite and noticed the same 2 messages logged on the console.

The warnings are from the system libpng v1.6. When I build jivelite against the squeezeplay purpose built libraries in /opt/squeezeplay/lib, which uses an older version of libpng the messages are gone.

If you google the warnings you'll see that the warnings are common to many applications and not specific to jivelite.

You could redirect stdout and stderr to a file to squelch the warnings.

./jivelite >> /var/log/jivelite.log 2>&1
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

When I have built Jivelite on systems from git I've always had to redirect jivelite display (over ssh) to my windows machine and set a skin that is the resolution of the "local display" to the jivelite before jivelite will work OK

Not sure if this is the problem you are seeing

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Thanks for the reply Ralphy. I kind of thought I could ignore those warnings but wasnt 100% sure. The bigger problem is the blank screen after the Jive Lite splash screen, in other words, it ain't working.

I found an older post by you with a log config file and put it in ~/.jivelite/userscripts (or something, I'm not at the pi now) and redirected the output, which seems to have worked except, in order to get jivelite to build successfully against Alpine's musl libc I had to fix one issue with calls to backtrace. My "fix" was to completely remove the print_trace function from platform_linux.c and the two calls to it within that file. I'm not sure how that affects what I should see in the logfile but other than the libpng warnings I don't see anything else.

Jivelite is running and not immediately crashing, I just don't get anything other than the splash screen and then nothing after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff07971 View Post
    When I have built Jivelite on systems from git I've always had to redirect jivelite display (over ssh) to my windows machine and set a skin that is the resolution of the "local display" to the jivelite before jivelite will work OK

Not sure if this is the problem you are seeing

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I am starting it via the local console with a logitech wireless keyboard connected (don't think a wireless keyboard should be an issue) - I don't get anything after the splash screen, no initial setup or anything. Not sure how to set a skin without the initial setup screens showing up - I assume there's a config file I could drop somewhere, I just have researched that bit yet and have basically zero experience with jivelite.

//edit now that I re-read your post, you are setting DISPLAY on the jivelite system and X forwarding over SSH to your windows (that's running an X server?)? Does that work without X stuff installed on the jivelite machine?
    Last edited by sodface; 2020-01-16 at 07:26.

Let's try turning on all logging.

Copy the attached file as logconf.lua into $HOME/.jivelite/userpath/logconf.lua

Try to run jivellite.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I am starting it via the local console with a logitech wireless keyboard connected (don't think a wireless keyboard should be an issue) - I don't get anything after the splash screen, no initial setup or anything. Not sure how to set a skin without the initial setup screens showing up - I assume there's a config file I could drop somewhere, I just have researched that bit yet and have basically zero experience with jivelite.

//edit now that I re-read your post, you are setting DISPLAY on the jivelite system and X forwarding over SSH to your windows (that's running an X server?)? Does that work without X stuff installed on the jivelite machine?
    No it doesn't work for the console.

To set a custom skin resolution for the console;

Delete the $HOME/.jivelite folder.

Set the console to 1920x1080 using fbset

Set these two environment variables.

# Define custom JogglerSkin size
    export JL_SCREEN_WIDTH=1920
    export JL_SCREEN_HEIGHT=1080

Start jivelite and select GridSkin (1920x1080) that matches what you set in the envars.
    Last edited by ralphy; 2020-01-16 at 07:45.
    Ralphy

Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post

linux graphics is really not my thing but I started with Debian minimal and did not add any X

I use Mobaxtrem as my (windows) ssh client which has built in X server for forwarding.

Has jivelite populated its settings ?

Name:  2020-01-16 14_28_06-A. Jeff PhotoframeLounge.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  24.8 KB

Name:  2020-01-16 14_30_21-Window.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  4.8 KB

Other than that I'll leave you with Ralphy, he'll be far better than me !

Jeff
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
    Server: LMS Version: Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player Groups
    Remotes: iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
    Music: 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS

Thanks Gents!! Thinking about faking an illness and going home to try it!

Yes, the .jivelite folder has been populated.

I'll update this evening.

Thanks to Ralphy and Jeff I got a little further. I set the framebuffer and deleted the .jivelite folder but same thing happened when I started jivelite, splash screen and that's it. Next I enabled logging and changed the skin file that Jeff indicated in his post to HD_GRID_SKIN_1080 - Bingo! The splash screen stayed up a lot longer then it went to icons, very big icons, but icons nonetheless. I was able to navigate around with the keyboard and change players. When I went to new music jivelite locked up. Via SSH I could see that the process was not even listed anymore even though the screen was still stuck on the new music page and hadn't dropped back to the command prompt.

Attached is the log file ending in a segmentation fault.

// edit, I should note that after I posted this I moved off my 1080p monitor onto the 5" Uctronics HDMI screen that is the real screen that I'm trying to get working and changed to the Joggler 800x480 skin which matches the 5" panel resolution. It seemed to be working pretty well, even the pointer worked which surprised me. It still locks up though when navigating into My Music > New Music. It begins to populate the screen, I see a bunch of album icons and text but none of the icons are the correct album art, just that basic record looking icon for all of them. I can't help but think that's related to the lockup somehow - do I need any other graphics libs installed besides libpng?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sodface; 2020-01-16 at 20:04.