Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,063
    Sorry this is a messy screenshot but if I open VLC to show the ausio output i can't take one (at the mo)

    This is me, rpi4b Squeezelite installed and playing back through an external usb dac listening to

    http://direct.fipradio.fr/live/fip-midfi.mp3

    ....at the same time

    listening on headphones plugged into the pi and using VLC to play

    http://http://wbgo.streamguys.net/thejazzstream

    Name:  squuezelite and vlc.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  189.1 KB


    ronnie

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,063
    Just read back through the thread after posting.............doh !!

    ronnie

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    According to this post dmix only supports a fixed sample rate. which measn if you are mixing 44.1kHz with 48kHz - no upsampling will take place.
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...an-application
    Actually the answer does refer to using a plug plugin wrapper to carry out resampling if needed.

    I recall adopting this on the Joggler half a dozen years or so ago, by customising the asound.conf file, and probably posted a ‘how to’ suggestion on the Joggler forum.

    But (a) I don’t know how to implement in the context of Squeezelite, and (b) I recall it’s only needed if the ALSA device is shared amongst different applications. So unless the OP has that requirement a simpler approach probably suffices.

    It’s been a while since I looked at this, so don’t fully remember the details.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I note that the file mentioned above is 128kbps mp3. You will notice the difference even more if you re-rip it as FLAC!

    Seriously 128kbps is low grade audio by today’s standards. If all of your music is at this level then you will be re-ripping at some point for sure.

    Most of us made mistakes when we first started ripping and have had to re-rip after using LMS for a while. I know I did.

    When you find yourself at this point (you will), make sure you come back here for advice in the Ripping, Tagging area so that hopefully you will only ever need to do it again once not multiple times. There are things that are easy to miss without detailed knowledge of what LMS is capable of.

    Thanks for this suggestion and reminder! My MP3 collection is a HUGE mixed up mess that needs to be seriously cleaned up and purged for exactly the same reasons you just mentioned. Sadly, I've got an increasingly nasty case of tinnitus that I've had since childhood, but has gotten somewhat worse with the birth of my 2 kids in the last 5 years. Perhaps it's the screaming. Perhaps it's that I'm just turning 50. At any rate, it will be interesting to see, once I get these files cleaned up/upgraded, if I'll be able to tell the difference between 128k and something as delicious sounding as FLAC. However, I'm still holding on to my vinyls. They're safely hidden away here at the house where no meddling kids can find them. A couple more years of maturity in these boys and I'll bust out the turntable and turn these boys on to some of my gems like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Mingus, and Monk... Maybe even throw in some Allman Brothers, Deep Purple or ELO.

    Then again... Spotify has 320k doesn't it... Makes me think about deleting or at least seriously purging the MP3 directory.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Sorry this is a messy screenshot but if I open VLC to show the ausio output i can't take one (at the mo)

    This is me, rpi4b Squeezelite installed and playing back through an external usb dac listening to

    http://direct.fipradio.fr/live/fip-midfi.mp3

    ....at the same time

    listening on headphones plugged into the pi and using VLC to play

    http://http://wbgo.streamguys.net/thejazzstream

    Name:  squuezelite and vlc.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  189.1 KB


    ronnie
    I like seeing screenshots of other folk's stuff they're up to. How'd you get Jivelite running? Further, how'd you get it running in a Window?

    I'm very familiar with that interface because I've got Squeezeplay running on all my other Windows Systems that I use as player's around the house. 8 systems total. 3 are Android, 2 are Linux and 3 are Windows. This project will retire 2 of the Windows units.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    44100 not 41000 I hope

    That's good but what if you try play a 48Khz stream such as internet radio station (e.g. BBC) ? now the problem will reoccur ?

    If you really really want to use dmix - then make squeezelite always play at 48000 (i.e. make squeezelite or LMS resample as required).
    OHHH, I get it now. I'm realizing that I'm running into this exact issue. OK. How can I set up Squeezelite and or LMS to "resample as required"? From what I understand, DMix is a "sort of"requirement as I need all apps to share the Audio Device AND I'm presuming that Squeezelite and PulseAudio are problematic. These assumptions may be incorrect. I appreciate your guidance!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by noexit View Post
    OHHH, I get it now. I'm realizing that I'm running into this exact issue. OK. How can I set up Squeezelite and or LMS to "resample as required"? From what I understand, DMix is a "sort of"requirement as I need all apps to share the Audio Device AND I'm presuming that Squeezelite and PulseAudio are problematic. These assumptions may be incorrect. I appreciate your guidance!
    Sometimes just posting up here to you guys gets my head working better:

    I changed the following line in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf back to the default: defaults.pcm.dmix.rate 48000 (Strangely it was on 41000 and somehow working for 44100 files.)

    Then I added the following to the last line in the file /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh to read SL_ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS="-C 5, -R E"

    Now I can play 44100 files as well as 48000 files in Squeezelite.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by noexit View Post
    Sometimes just posting up here to you guys gets my head working better:

    I changed the following line in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf back to the default: defaults.pcm.dmix.rate 48000 (Strangely it was on 41000 and somehow working for 44100 files.)

    Then I added the following to the last line in the file /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh to read SL_ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS="-C 5, -R E"

    Now I can play 44100 files as well as 48000 files in Squeezelite.
    Well, that broke Spotty playing back on this Squeezelite. I have Spotty using the 320k nice quality option. But I'm unsure how to manage this with DMix and Squeezelite.

    I'll take all the guidance I can get guys!

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    18,039
    Quote Originally Posted by noexit View Post
    Well, that broke Spotty playing back on this Squeezelite. I have Spotty using the 320k nice quality option. But I'm unsure how to manage this with DMix and Squeezelite.

    I'll take all the guidance I can get guys!
    I think you are mixing up problems.
    The problem is sample rate not bit rate - 320k is bit rate not sample rate.

    What is the sample rate of spotty ?

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I think you are mixing up problems.
    The problem is sample rate not bit rate - 320k is bit rate not sample rate.

    What is the sample rate of spotty ?
    You're right! I'm running on too little sleep these days.

    Haven't figured out what Spotty's sample rate is yet. Still digging.

    I notice that when I change the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf back to the default: defaults.pcm.dmix.rate 48000, Squeezelite plays local files that are encoded at 44100 too fast. So, I added the following to the end of my squeezelite_settings.sh - SL_ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS="-C 5, -u"

    However, when I do that Spotify streamed songs then play terribly distorted. I'll post in the Spotty page to see if I can figure it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •