Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdehan
    • Dec 2015

Touch remotes getting sticky!

All 3 of the remotes for my 3 Touch devices are getting sticky and look wet! I first though perhaps the batteries were leaking but that is not the case. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's almost like the plastic material is oozing.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200114_152953_1600x1200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1578245
    Last edited by tdehan; 2020-01-14, 23:54.
  • garym
    • May 2008

yes, several threads on this. And also parts of the back of the TOUCH player, and most of the front of the BOOM players. Something about the material causes this.

Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Mycenius
      • Jun 2012

Yep - a lot of other manufacturers' products do likewise. its the coating on the plastic breaking down (or possibly the material itself if its the soft rubbery bits like buttons) - once it starts they have had it. Usually the soft rubber buttons will go first. I have had numerous remotes and similar devices do this (different brands). I think some people try and paint a clear lacquer over the device to get a hard coat over the surface... its worse for products left in sun or heat as that generally speeds up the breakdown.
      Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
      Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
      Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
      Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
      Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Comment

• garym
        • May 2008

The good news for me is that I've never used these remotes. I use either iPeng on my phone or ipad, squeezeplay on my laptop, or a physical controller (half of the duet).
        Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Mycenius
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by garym
          The good news for me is that I've never used these remotes. I use either iPeng on my phone or ipad, squeezeplay on my laptop, or a physical controller (half of the duet).
          Me too!
          Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
          Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Comment

• Mycenius
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by tdehan
            All 3 of the remotes for my 3 Touch devices are getting sticky and look wet! I first though perhaps the batteries were leaking but that is not the case. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's almost like the plastic material is oozing.
            P.S. You can try wiping it down with "Desolv-It" or another similar good quality orange oil cleaner (it should dissolve the oil excretions from the plastics breakdown) - but isn't 100% guaranteed to solve the issue. Otherwise i'm told baking soda and a little water as a paste rubbed into it with your fingers then wiped off can sometimes work too for this sort of issue. But YMMV - no guarantees with any of this (I have done the former reasonably successfully in the past, but not the latter - but regardless over time the issue just reoccurs).

Comment

• jdh500
              • May 2007

I've had the same issue on a couple of my Squeezebox Touch remotes, never that issue on the Squeezebox Classic Remotes or even the smaller one that was supplied with the Boom.

JDH

Comment

• Percival Sweetwater
                • Jan 2011

I just did my second one today. It's best to take it apart. This can be fiddly, but there are eight 'snaps' holding the thing together. I got a good thumbnail between the front and back parts, and managed to get one apart. I could then get a spudger in there and get the rest to pop. I think someone has put some pictures of the positions of these snaps somewhere on this forum.
                When you get it apart, rub the top part with a soft cloth soaked in Propan-2-ol (Isopropanol), and a lot of elbow grease. Don't use Acetone (nail varnish remover); that will remove the text and leave the surface looking horrible.
                Eventually it will all come off. Also, I scraped a lot of the stuff off first with a thumbnail. Finally, give it a wash with some dish soap, dry it, and give it a good polish. Good as new!

Comment

• agbagb
                  • Aug 2006

Similar "rot" problem with the two rotary knobs on some of my Radios - which are all pretty ancient now! Luckily those knobs just pull off and push back on. I've removed them, and then used a toothbrush and cleaning alcohol (of which we probably all have gallons right now......) to get the gunk off. Works well enough.
                  Gary Brown
                  Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                  Win11
                  Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                  Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                  External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                  1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                  1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                  [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

• NMarshall
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Mycenius
                    P.S. You can try wiping it down with "Desolv-It" or another similar good quality orange oil cleaner (it should dissolve the oil excretions from the plastics breakdown) - but isn't 100% guaranteed to solve the issue. Otherwise i'm told baking soda and a little water as a paste rubbed into it with your fingers then wiped off can sometimes work too for this sort of issue. But YMMV - no guarantees with any of this (I have done the former reasonably successfully in the past, but not the latter - but regardless over time the issue just reoccurs).
                    I concur. Wiping carefully with an orange oil derivative is the safest way forward.
                    Could never understand why they 'rubberised' the remotes.

Comment

• Slaytanic
                      • Sep 2014

The cleaning goes also very well with some washing powder and water. I have managed to make the knobs of my radios almost perfect.

Here's a helpfull video:

Comment

• Tillerman
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Slaytanic
                        The cleaning goes also very well with some washing powder and water. I have managed to make the knobs of my radios almost perfect.

Here's a helpfull video:

https://youtu.be/3vDtFo8G6mg
                        +1. I have not tackled my Touch remote yet, but I have used washing soda (which is different than baking soda) successfully to remove the sticky residue on other rubberized plastic pieces.

Comment

• Mr_Orange
                          • Apr 2010

My remote went the same way. I threw it out since I have only ever used a Logitech Harmony remote with my Touch.

The SB3 (Classic) remote has never suffered in the same way though so must be made of a longer lasting material.

Comment

• agbagb
                            • Aug 2006

Not for remotes, but here's a guy on EBay selling 3D-printed new knobs for the Radio: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neue-Dreh...kAAOSwNp1bxJ6G
                            Gary Brown
                            Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.0 - 1700745578
                            Win11
                            Control: MaterialSkin Web GUI Firefox; MaterialSkin app on Android phones / pads

in Paris, France:-
                            Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
                            External SSDs, WiFi Laptop
                            1 x Touch Wireless (8.0.1-r16916)
                            1 x SB Radio Wireless (8.0.1-r16924)
                            [+ 3 spare Touch, 3 spare Radio, 2 x SqueezeAMP]

Comment

• Paul Webster
                              • Apr 2005

I suggest this general topic (cleaning old devices and replacement parts) is a candidate for inclusion in the wiki.
                              Paul Webster
                              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

Working...