Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My LMS Raspberry Pi 4 projects

Howdy folks! I posted some time ago about getting a more "eco-friendly" alternative to my soon-to-be extinct Windows 7 LMS PC's and got great guidance, I believe, on getting Raspberry Pi's. Here's my project plans and where I need some guidance:
    I plan on making 2 Raspberry Pi devices:
    Pi #1 is a Pi 4b with an Audio Injector Stereo Sound Card (http://www.audioinjector.net/rpi-hat). I chose this card because it has a Stereo Audio Input as well as Output. This Pi have the following functions:
    1. It will take audio passed from our family TV's HDMI Inputs (ala Fire Stick, Roku, etc) and pass the Audio to the Output and then to a Stereo Receiver and speakers. I intend to use the Pi with the Unified Remote App to control volume remotely with a phone or Wireless keyboard. 2. I want this Pi to have a Squeezeplay (Jive) session that I can also play music on when the TV is off. 3. I want to be able to play local videos on an attached hard drive via VLC Media Player. 4. I'd like to have LMS installed as a backup LMS Server. 5. I'd like it to have Internet Browser capabilities to play media from sites unavailable through Roku or Amazon. My current understanding is that the Pi Desktop environment will work best.

So far on this Pi I've got the Audio pass through working and LMS installed and working. The part I'm having trouble with currently is getting the right version of Squeezeplay to run on the Raspberry Pi desktop environment, in a window, like it does on my Windows PC. The ones I've gotten to run basically take over the screen of the Raspberry Pi desktop and I have to force a reboot to get the desktop back. I think there's a key concept I'm missing in my understanding of how the Squeezeplay (Squeezelite, Jivelite, etc) work.

Pi #2 is also a Pi 4b and will simply be the main LMS server for the household. No audio output will be needed on this Pi as it will simply act as server. I think the setup for this one will be pretty straightforward.

Should PiCoreplayer be a part of this setup? I feel like I'm missing what PiCoreplayer actually is. Is it simply a stripped down OS that only runs LMS and or Squeezeplay/Jive? Or does it run on top of Raspian?

I really appreciate all you folks do and I sincerely hope to pass it along somehow as my knowledge and skills increase. Fun Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by noexit View Post

Should PiCoreplayer be a part of this setup? I feel like I'm missing what PiCoreplayer actually is. Is it simply a stripped down OS that only runs LMS and or Squeezeplay/Jive? Or does it run on top of Raspian?

I really appreciate all you folks do and I sincerely hope to pass it along somehow as my knowledge and skills increase. Fun Stuff!
    Picore player is an alternative OS (based on Tiny Core) which runs in ram. Essentially, it provides both squeezelite audio player and/or LMS. YMMV. In my opinion, Raspbian is much more versatile.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Picore player is an alternative OS (based on Tiny Core) which runs in ram. Essentially, it provides both squeezelite audio player and/or LMS. YMMV. In my opinion, Raspbian is much more versatile.
    Thanks for that clarification, Castalla! That helps shed some perspective on what I've seen so far. For my #1 Pi, I think you're right: Raspbian will be a more robust OS to suit my goal to have a Media PC-like experience.

Now, the remaining part is: How do I get a SqueezePlay-like, "windowed" player to run on a Raspbian Desktop. I read something from our guru Ralphy about builds for "Linux Frame Buffer" and others for X11 support but I'm not sure what these are. I didn't find the older package he referenced in a 2017-08-13 post that indicated an X11 Supported version. Not sure if that's what I need or not. I'm currently running the default, NOOBS Raspbian that came with my Raspberry Pi 4B from Canakit.

Thanks for all you guys do!

Forget Squeezeplay
    Instead use Squeezelite and browser window in app mode with Material skin
    It will do exactly what you want
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

@noexit

I recommend dispensing with NOOBs and installing this Desktop

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

you can install LMS, this worked on Stretch, should be good for Buster.

Firts update the OS then add

Code:
     sudo apt -y install libio-socket-ssl-perl lame
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post894445

If you want to also install Squeezelite

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

check your pm

ronnie

Thanks everyone on the help so far! Here is my progress so far:

- Raspberry Pi Buster OS installed and updated.
    - AudioInjector Stereo Card working for input and output.
    - LMS installed and service set to disabled as this LMS will be a backup installation.
    - Squeezelite installed and operational, but streaming quality stutters after some time of playback. Network connection is wired and CPU utilization appears low. I suspect the problem might be elsewhere in buffering. I set in the squeezelite_settings.sh file (/usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh) the following lines to possibly address the stuttering but the problem persists: SL_ALSA_PARAMS="50000:::0" and SL_BUFFER="50000".
    - Having a problem with the ability to share application sound output, or in other words, play sound from multiple applications at the same time. I tried setting up the ALSA dmix plugin, but, I concede I'm not sure I did it right. I created a file /etc/asound.conf with the following code:
    Code:
     cm.dmixed {
            type asym
            playback.pcm {
                    type dmix
                    ipc_key 5678293
                    ipc_perm 0660
                    ipc_gid audio

slave {
                            channels 2 # make 6 or 5.1 channel
                            pcm {
                                    format S16_LE # S32_LE
                                    rate 44100 # can also be 44100
                                    type hw
                                    card 1 # your card
                                    device 7 # your device
                                    subdevice 0 #important?
                            }
    I have no idea if that's how to make it work. I read through the ALSA documentation (https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Asoundrc#dmix) but I'm unsure how to implement it.

I had Audio Device Sharing working on my original NOOB build but I'm not sure how I did it. Could have accidentally or partially installed PulseAudio or Jack, but I'm not sure.

Thanks all for you generosity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Forget Squeezeplay
    Instead use Squeezelite and browser window in app mode with Material skin
    It will do exactly what you want
    I'm working through the Squeezelite installation... getting close to having it right. But what's the part about "Browser Window in App Mode with Material Skin"? Like a Chromium Browser window pointing to an IP and port?

Thanks!

I'm working through the Squeezelite installation... getting close to having it right. But what's the part about "Browser Window in App Mode with Material Skin"? Like a Chromium Browser window pointing to an IP and port?

Thanks!
    OH, I see! I think I found it.... It's an LMS Plugin. Then I use Chrome Browser on Pi to "View" Squeezelite's current activity.

When I get all this done, assuming I'm still in a functional capacity, I'll write up a nice Tutorial, of sorts, from a Beginner's Perspective.

Thanks for all you guys do out there!

OH, I see! I think I found it.... It's an LMS Plugin. Then I use Chrome Browser on Pi to "View" Squeezelite's current activity.

Name:  materialskin.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  106.1 KB

When I get all this done, assuming I'm still in a functional capacity, I'll write up a nice Tutorial, of sorts, from a Beginner's Perspective.

Thanks for all you guys do out there!
    By app mode I mean as a separate window with no navigation.

Man In Vanĺs posted Image is a normal browser window.

Google ôrun web site in app modeö

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng