Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Did Logitech / Slimdevices ever patent any of their ideas (i.e synchronization)?

@mherger, do you know, whether Logitech/Slimdevices ever patented anything from their ideas?

I'm wondering, as I'm just reading about the currently filed lawsuite from Sonos against Google: https://www.businessinsider.de/inter...0-1/?r=US&IR=T

For instance Sonos' syncing algorithm is described in the following patent:
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US9195258B2/en

Interestingly its different from Logitechs one (i.e. they are 'tagging' the music frames with timing information, where LMS just provides the original stream and gives active 'commands' to boxes about playing faster to get into sync again).

Wondering why the guys over at Google copied Sonos' algorithm and not just went on with Slimdevices' open sourced (yet obfuscated with perl ) algorithm.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Google also has its own patents in that area - e.g.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US7805210B2/en

Time for lawyers to get richer.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Did Logitech / Slimdevices ever patent any of theirideas (i.e synchronization)?

> @mherger, do you know, whether Logitech/Slimdevices ever patented
    > anything from their ideas?

If I knew I wouldn't tell. Sometimes it's better not to know about such
    stuff...

--

Michael

According to a search with the applicant name / patentee name "Slim Devices" in the DEPATIS system if the German Patent and Trademark Office there appear to be no published patents or published patent applications of Slim Devices Inc. at all. They might have filed in another name though.
    1 transporter with touch for controlling,
    1 squeezebox 3,
    6 squeezebox radio,
    3 squeezebox controllers,
    ipeng on IPhones and IPads,
    LMS unter Max2Play on Odroid XU4,
    LMS with MusicIP unter Windows Homeserver 2011 on Compulab Intense PC (Intel i5, 2.1 GHz, 8 GB;
    ROON under Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on Dell PowerEdge T630 with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L v3 @ 1.80 GHz 8 core CPUs and 48 GB,
    2 Bluesound Node 2 as ROON endpoints

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Wilhelm View Post
    According to a search with the applicant name / patentee name "Slim Devices" in the DEPATIS system if the German Patent and Trademark Office there appear to be no published patents or published patent applications of Slim Devices Inc. at all. They might have filed in another name though.
    Wouldn't Logitech or Squeezebox, etc, be the original naming it's likely to be under (rather than slim devices - isn't that a more recent name)? What was the actual legal entity that owned Logitech/Squeezebox back in the day (15-20 years ago) that the patents would have been filed under...?

Name:  shrug.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  7.2 KB

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi Misc: iPeng (iPad/iPhones)/Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Wouldn't Logitech or Squeezebox, etc, be the original naming it's likely to be under (rather than slim devices - isn't that a more recent name)? What was the actual legal entity that owned Logitech/Squeezebox back in the day (15-20 years ago) that the patents would have been filed under...?

Name:  shrug.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  7.2 KB
    No.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sque..._music_player)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    A-ha!

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
    Hi-Fi Misc: iPeng (iPad/iPhones)/Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
    Accessories: Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    Wondering why the guys over at Google copied Sonos' algorithm and not just went on with Slimdevices' open sourced (yet obfuscated with perl ) algorithm.
    Probably because they didn't want the join-delay.
    Also, this particular Sonos patent is really easy to circumvent, I would be really surprised if Google hasn't done their own version and that's not just a blind shot by Sonos to claim a violation.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch