Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't see a command to "Play XYZ artist" or a specific song.
    Both commands exist - see the online docs:

https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...hingBy.html#27

https://mediaserver.smartskills.tech...aySong.html#28

2020 edition

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post
    I heard a rumor that Logitech product management has now recognized that:
    -In 2020, 80% of the music business will be streaming content
    -That their SlimDevices Squeezebox line may have been 10 years ahead of its time.
    -That there still isn't a product on the market that streams as easy or as well as the original SB3 Classic and Squeezebox Touch, even 10 years later.
    -That even now, years past purchase, they have a large, loyal, dedicated fan base with a hunger for a new product.
    -That the vast majority of stereo owners would love to move to streaming but don't need a new receiver or amp, just something to deliver the music.

I also heard they are contemplating a simple update to Squeezebox Touch 2020:
    -Same physical design with upgraded DAC, WIFI and Screen
    -Build a focus on streaming first and easy setup, with full integration of Apple Music, Google Play, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music/HD/Ultra HD and others through mysqueezebox.com
    -Full support for all streaming formats, bitrates and resolutions
    -Bitperfect output via digital outs up to 24/192 for those with external DACs.
    -Robust integration with Alexa, Siri and Google assistants
    -Updated Optional LMS with Roon like features for hard core audio folks managing large local libraries

That's what I heard anyway. And by heard, I mean, that's what I day dreamed about this afternoon while looking at CES 2020 highlights.

Come on Logitech, get back in the game. You could still be the standard bearer of the streaming age.

Has anyone else heard this?
    I have a similar dream. But really, I just want them - or someone (it is open source!!) to start making Squeezeboxes again. Integration with other services would be great, like chromecast, and support for more streaming services. It already makes a great Roon endpoint, btw. The DAC really doesn't need to be upgraded, neither the digital output. Both the analog and digital section is good enough.

I expect Philippe still has some SqueezeAMP systems available for sale.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I expect Philippe still has some SqueezeAMP systems available for sale.
    Yes, I've built a new batch of 50 which is on its way :-)
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post
    I hate to admit, its not just your kids. I've taken to playing on Echo for convenience instead of my good system. Siri and Google just SUUUCK but Alexa has magic juju beans somewhere because it just works. I'm listening to more music in my kitchen now on an Echo Show because we can change genres in 2nds from across the room and the sound isn't...bad.
    I could have said the exact same thing! I LOVE my collection and listen to it 85% of the time. BUT I also ask my crappy Alexa speaker (who seems to get dumber and more hard of hearing every day ..) to play a playlist or two when I don't want to grab my Controller or go to my laptop or phone to queue up music .. like when I am cooking or working on a task around the house. For that, I tell "Alexa-idiot" ( as I commonly refer to her) to play something so that I can listen to some music while I work. But yeah .. it doesn't come close to the sound quality of any of my Squeezebox attached speakers. It just gets the job done for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post
    ... BUT I also ask my crappy Alexa speaker ...
    Posting rights in the Audiophile forum forever revoked!!! :-D

Convenience is what hooked me on the SB ecosystem forever ago (2004 when I bought my first SB). Once I had ripped my collection (which took me 2 years, with well over 3000 CDs and by now over 4000 albums it's no joke), I just touched CDs for FLACing new ones.

But I can't take it as far as these audio contraption things that spy on you on top... :-) I extremely seldom use the remote though.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Posting rights in the Audiophile forum forever revoked!!! :-D

Convenience is what hooked me on the SB ecosystem forever ago (2004 when I bought my first SB). Once I had ripped my collection (which took me 2 years, with well over 3000 CDs and by now over 4000 albums it's no joke), I just touched CDs for FLACing new ones.

But I can't take it as far as these audio contraption things that spy on you on top... :-) I extremely seldom use the remote though.

I don't come to the forum as much as I used to (not enough time anymore) and just saw your reply ..

I too constantly go through a guilt phase where I KNOW that my Alexa speakers are always spying on me. And my "smart" speakers still keep getting dumber and less useful every week. I (probably more than) occasionally go through the "rip all of these worthless "smart" speakers out of my house" phase. I guess my only caveat was that "hey, my Android phone(s) always has a Google speaker (microphone) on .. so, I'm already being spied on." But yeah .. my trust issues (I really have no trust) with these behemoth tech companies is getting close to nil. The "rip out" phase may come sooner than later. And yes .. the audio quality (there is none) is much, much less than the convenience factor really affords. I prefer to listen through my towers when I can. Squeezebox platform is still my every day driver.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post
    I don't come to the forum as much as I used to (not enough time anymore) and just saw your reply ..

I too constantly go through a guilt phase where I KNOW that my Alexa speakers are always spying on me. And my "smart" speakers still keep getting dumber and less useful every week. I (probably more than) occasionally go through the "rip all of these worthless "smart" speakers out of my house" phase. I guess my only caveat was that "hey, my Android phone(s) always has a Google speaker (microphone) on .. so, I'm already being spied on." But yeah .. my trust issues (I really have no trust) with these behemoth tech companies is getting close to nil. The "rip out" phase may come sooner than later. And yes .. the audio quality (there is none) is much, much less than the convenience factor really affords. I prefer to listen through my towers when I can. Squeezebox platform is still my every day driver.
    I just use my Alexa to turn my Squeezebox and Amplifier on and off

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

If you're finding you use Alexa with an Echo speaker then you can get much better audio quality simply by plugging your Echo to your stereo, there's a 3.5mm analogue output in the back which while it's not exactly the best quality will still be much better through your stereo.

The disadvantage of using your speaker this way is that all audio is sent via the output of it's plugged in, you'll only hear Alexa respond when the stereo is on, this is easily solved by simply adding an extra device (wait til the sales and add a cheap echo dot to your stereo)

You can use your existing echo to ask for music to play on the Dot connected to the stereo, you can even set your other speaker to default music playback on the stereo Echo Dot if you wanted.

You can do a similar thing in the Google infrastructure, however none of the Google speakers have a line out, if you can find a Chromecast Audio, sadly.nonlonger available new, or use a HDMI from a normal Chromecast, you can request music on the Chromecast using your voice, and again set any smart speaker to default music playback to the Chromecast Audio.

Chromecasts of all types (including Google smart speakers) can all be used as extra squeezebox zones as well if you install the absolutely excellent Chromecast bridge plugin so a Chromecast audio can really give you the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobvfr400 View Post
    If you're finding you use Alexa with an Echo speaker then you can get much better audio quality simply by plugging your Echo to your stereo, there's a 3.5mm analogue output in the back which while it's not exactly the best quality will still be much better through your stereo..
    I know…but for just background listening, Echo Show 10 is a decent table radio. There’s a place for it. RadioParadise, Jazzgroove, all there.

I’m first in line for upgraded Echo Link or a Show with optical outs.

Hopefully with Apple joining the hi Rez fray, there’ll be some new devices soon.

Logitech, you all don’t know what you had…so far ahead of it’s time.