Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    No, the two are separate and can't see each other ... the subnet thing is beyond my understanding, I'm afraid. Both have 255, xxxxx..0
    Then ngrok would have to run on some machine in each subnet.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    Then ngrok would have to run on some machine in each subnet.
    Okay - thanks
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Announce] LMS-lite certified Smart Home skill for Alexa

I have developed a (beta) account-linking concept which allows for auto-updating changed ngrok tunnel details when your ngrok machine reboots. It even supports multiple tunnels potentially used with multiple LMS servers (as deployed in the latest beta version of my Squeeze test-skill). When you account-link for the first time, the account-linking page displays a unique cryptographic key that you can copy in order to subsequently refer to 'your' skills (both LMS-Lite and MediaServer). This key is pasted into a small Python3 script that uses the requests library to retrieve your current ngrok tunnel(s) from the :4040 web portal for ngrok. Via that unique key, the skill then updates with your latest tunnel details without having to re-link the skill. Yaay! That script can be set to run on a cron schedule or upon reboot (which is actually sufficient). For security, it only updates the tunnel subdomain and not your -auth details so an assumption is made that you maintain the same -auth when your server reboots (which is a safe bet). If you do not want to use this new feature, a check-box can be unticked at the time of linking the skill and the current scheme is then used unmodified. That makes Alexa responses a tiny fraction faster (100ms) due to slightly less latency in the skill flow.

I'm in the process of writing the docs for this but I have a question for the LMS community. Is it a problem that the companion script is written in Python3 (and needs two Pip3 installs) ? Wouldn't Python be pretty standard on the machines people are using as ngrok proxy? Or would it be better to have a version in Perl with 2 CPAN installs (WWW:Mechanize or LWP::UserAgent and JSON::XS) ? I know Perl is standard on the LMS machine but if people are using RPi's for ngrok then Python is likely more popular on the Pi. It could also be done in nodejs with no extra npm modules but I guess nobody has that installed as standard ...

Thoughts?

Edit: The setup process for this (showing the Python script) is detailed at https://smartskills.tech/squeezesetup/index.html under the tab ngrok autoupdate.

Edit #2: What the hell. I put both scripts as downloadable files on my server so users can decide whether they want Python or Perl. Have your cake and eat it !
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2020-05-23 at 02:04. Reason: Added link to draft instructions

[Announce] LMS-lite certified Smart Home skill for Alexa

I have developed a (beta) account-linking concept which allows for auto-updating changed ngrok tunnel details when your ngrok machine reboots.
    ... I just had it running.
    This is a very good option for those that want something simple like ngrok but do not want to pay for a subscription for extra facilities when the only thing wanted is the equivalent of a static host name.
    I configured the updater to run as part of the process of starting ngrok - so all automatic on boot (or on manual restart of ngrok).
    Last edited by Paul Webster; 2020-06-22 at 11:01.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Version 2.4 now available

New versions of both the MediaServer and LMS-lite skills are now live with two major enhancements:

* ngrok users on the free plan can now autoupdate tunnel details without having to relink the skill(s)
    * Multiple LMS instances can now be linked to the skill(s) under a single Amazon account and single subscription

The online documentation at https://smartskills.tech/lmslitesetup/ has been extensively rewritten - finally, secure external access for LMS is set and forget.

In a nutshell, when you link from now on, you will be presented with a uuid like d84fb223c34002944701a9a70e5e82b65e01cda21b6e8914 which you copy into a small (downloadable) python or perl script that is run as part of your ngrok systemd service. That script queries your ngrok :4040 dashboard under the hood and pushes the (new) tunnel details off to the cloud. A lot of attention was paid to security during development/testing and the code was written for minimum latency impact.

The multiple servers feature can be useful for people with holiday homes or for those who stay in a flat during the work-week but go home at the weekends. It can also be used for mixed control of e.g. stable-release/nightly-release LMS servers while you beta-test. The only requirement is that there are no repeated player names across your server instances.

Thanks to those who participated in the beta testing. Let me know if there are any bugs / corner-cases or if the documentation is not clear on anything.

Enjoy !

German Translation

There's actually no reason why LMS-Lite could not be posted to the Amazon.de store for accessibility in the DACH countries. All that's needed is to have the skill store description available in German, plus a concise version of the setup help for configuring ngrok. Anybody interested in helping out with translating?
    Hi, I could help with the translations. I am german and would be happy to help. I think I wrote to you last year if there is the possibility to get the skill to german or austrian Amazon (at least I think it was you, as there aren't to many LMS Skills ). Today I thought I could look if there are any news about the possibility to connect LMS to Alexa - this is when I saw your post.
    Please send me some info or how and what exactley you need.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by strict20 View Post
    Hi, I could help with the translations. I am german and would be happy to help. I think I wrote to you last year if there is the possibility to get the skill to german or austrian Amazon (at least I think it was you, as there aren't to many LMS Skills ). Today I thought I could look if there are any news about the possibility to connect LMS to Alexa - this is when I saw your post.
    Please send me some info or how and what exactley you need.
    Michael
    Thanks Michael - much appreciated. If you can send me an email at info@smartskills.tech then I can email you what I need. The PM section here does not allow pretty formatting.

LMS-lite now in German

As requested by many people over the months (and thanks to the translation efforts of @strict20), the skill is now available with German language support for the DACH countries. You can find it at https://www.amazon.de/smartskills-te.../dp/B083H9JTJY