Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    500

    iPlayer skip forward/backwards doesn't work

    I'm running iPlayer 1.6.9 on a Raspberry Pi4 running LMS 7.9.2 - 1578996832.

    If, listening to say BBC Radio 4 live, I press << it just goes back about 1 second, and >> goes forward about 1 second (I think) .

    On listen again, clicking on the progress bar works as expected, but << and >> is similar to the above.

    iPlayer Settings:
    - DASH->HLS->MP3->FlashAAC
    - Use highest bitrate
    - Minutes to skip: 1 minute
    - allow transcoding: enabled
    - show OnAir Text: enabled
    - Live text: Bottom line
    - Seconds to delay start live stream: 5s
    - buffer fullness: 255

    I have three wired SB3s.

    Any ideas? I don't think this has ever worked in the many years that I have used iPlayer.
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    I'm running iPlayer 1.6.9 on a Raspberry Pi4 running LMS 7.9.2 - 1578996832.

    If, listening to say BBC Radio 4 live, I press << it just goes back about 1 second, and >> goes forward about 1 second (I think) .

    On listen again, clicking on the progress bar works as expected, but << and >> is similar to the above.

    iPlayer Settings:
    - DASH->HLS->MP3->FlashAAC
    - Use highest bitrate
    - Minutes to skip: 1 minute
    - allow transcoding: enabled
    - show OnAir Text: enabled
    - Live text: Bottom line
    - Seconds to delay start live stream: 5s
    - buffer fullness: 255

    I have three wired SB3s.

    Any ideas? I don't think this has ever worked in the many years that I have used iPlayer.
    Have you tried using the context menu? I have never used the << or >> buttons.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,485
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    I'm running iPlayer 1.6.9 on a Raspberry Pi4 running LMS 7.9.2 - 1578996832.

    If, listening to say BBC Radio 4 live, I press << it just goes back about 1 second, and >> goes forward about 1 second (I think) ..
    >> & << are not used for ffwd / rew live streams.

    Skip forward & back of a live stream is only supported for DASH.
    After I had implemented ffw & rew of a live stream, I trialled had a version of the plugin which used >> & << to do the action.
    However user feedback was that it was confusing as >> & << buttons were used for other LMS function which couldn't be reconciled - so skip forward & back was put back into context menu.

    edit:

    Currently >> & << move within the playlist of playable live stream URL - so you will be toggling between DASH, HLS and MP3 live streams. To account for the 1 sec difference. There is a time delay to starting a stream and there is a difference in the timebase between the different formats.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-11-10 at 03:21.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,485
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    On listen again, clicking on the progress bar works as expected, but << and >> is similar to the above.
    On Listen Again. >> & << work OK on players as they require a long press. Short press is skip to next/previous item in playlist. AFAIK There is no way to do a long press >> or << on Web UI.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    >> & << are not used for ffwd / rew live streams.

    Skip forward & back of a live stream is only supported for DASH.
    After I had implemented ffw & rew of a live stream, I trialled had a version of the plugin which used >> & << to do the action.
    However user feedback was that it was confusing as >> & << buttons were used for other LMS function which couldn't be reconciled - so skip forward & back was put back into context menu.

    edit:

    Currently >> & << move within the playlist of playable live stream URL - so you will be toggling between DASH, HLS and MP3 live streams. To account for the 1 sec difference. There is a time delay to starting a stream and there is a difference in the timebase between the different formats.
    So is there a way to get the "context menu" on my Windows IE browser that I use to control LMS on my PC? Right clicking just brings up IE's context menu. Or am I a bit out of date using IE!?

    I can get Skip back to work on Squeezer on my Android devices, although it seems it will only skip back once. So as I currently have the skip back time set to 1 minute, I can go a maximum of 1 minute back. Is that right?
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,485
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    So is there a way to get the "context menu" on my Windows IE browser that I use to control LMS on my PC? Right clicking just brings up IE's context menu. Or am I a bit out of date using IE!?
    On Classical GUI It is the M menu on the Right Hand pane beside the playing item
    On material - click triple dots on RHS and then choose More

    I can get Skip back to work on Squeezer on my Android devices, although it seems it will only skip back once. So as I currently have the skip back time set to 1 minute, I can go a maximum of 1 minute back. Is that right?
    It should skip more than once.
    On "Live " you can skip back usually up to about 3 hours. Most typical use is to "skip back to start of program" - which for a Radio 3 concert can be about 3 hours.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    On Classical GUI It is the M menu on the Right Hand pane beside the playing item
    On material - click triple dots on RHS and then choose More


    It should skip more than once.
    On "Live " you can skip back usually up to about 3 hours. Most typical use is to "skip back to start of program" - which for a Radio 3 concert can be about 3 hours.
    I found the "M" thanks - never noticed it before.

    Using Squeezer on Android which is a bit easier, skip back still doesn't seem to go back more than once (nor on IE). Frankly I am not quite sure what it does after the first skip back. However the "Skip back to start" does work as expected!
    I have now set skip back/forwards to 2 / 1 mins respectively. If I go to the beginning of the program, then skipping forwards seems to jump either 2 or 3 mins (rarely 1 minute as expected), but at least it does work. Skipping back seems a bit random, not sure what it is doing or even that the time delay indicator is correct. Sometimes it seems to skip back as expected, sometimes it seems to actually go skip forwards!
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    19,485
    Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    I found the "M" thanks - never noticed it before.
    Standard LMS feature used by all sorts of plugins.

    Using Squeezer on Android which is a bit easier, skip back still doesn't seem to go back more than once (nor on IE). Frankly I am not quite sure what it does after the first skip back. However the "Skip back to start" does work as expected!
    I have now set skip back/forwards to 2 / 1 mins respectively. If I go to the beginning of the program, then skipping forwards seems to jump either 2 or 3 mins (rarely 1 minute as expected), but at least it does work. Skipping back seems a bit random, not sure what it is doing or even that the time delay indicator is correct. Sometimes it seems to skip back as expected, sometimes it seems to actually go skip forwards!
    1 min skip back is not worthwhile doing - the plugin thinks less than 1 mins or less is just a delay by BBC. This was done because timestamp of audio packet being played can be delayed by BBC. Skip back works on actual time not relative time as packets in stream are timestamped. Plugin has to specify timepoint where to restart audio playback but which due to buffering and network may not be what is being played on LMS players when skip back was requested.

    Change skip back to say 5 mins and then skip forward to 30 secs or 1 min. It is easier to overshoot backward and then edge up forwards.
    Last edited by bpa; 2020-11-10 at 08:05.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    1 min skip back is not worthwhile doing - the plugin thinks less than 1 mins or less is just a delay by BBC. This was done because timestamp of audio packet being played can be delayed by BBC. Skip back works on actual time not relative time as packets in stream are timestamped. Plugin has to specify timepoint where to restart audio playback but which due to buffering and network may not be what is being played on LMS players when skip back was requested.

    Change skip back to say 5 mins and then skip forward to 30 secs or 1 min. It is easier to overshoot backward and then edge up forwards.
    Great - this seems to work. Like you say, Skip to the Start is probably the most useful feature which I hadn't even realised existed!
    Thanks very much for your help
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •