Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    There's a new sorting rule for favorites in order to match the new behaviour in MediaServer. Nested folders are exhaustively recursed before popping back up a level to the next item there. This provides consistency up to 1000 items per nested folder and makes the numbering 100% predictable. When counting favorites manually, as soon as you see a folder, go into it and keep counting everything there (and below!) before moving back upwards in the hierarchy.

This means that it is possible to ask to play a favorite that is actually a folder rather than audio. If you do that, LMS will queue all the child favorites as a playlist and set the index to the first playable item in that folder.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2021-12-02 at 12:45.

It looks like Amazon has finally made the PlaybackController interface available for it-IT. This means that LMS-lite can be made available in Italian if the description text for the Amazon skill-store/app is translated. It's quite a short description: see https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083H9JTJY/.

If anybody wants to volunteer to translate this then I can submit for certification.

I have successfully installed the free version of Mediaserver, yay! But when I say "Alexa, tell mediaserver I want a subscription" she says something like "the content is not available in your country".Why would the subscription not be available in Sweden? Where do I set "my country"?

Amazon has so many different location settings, it's utterly confusing. I don't even know which country Alexa/Amazon thinks I'm in...

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk
    Server: LMS 8.2 on an Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms, Google Nest Hub (via chromecast plugin)
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library

Presumably it would have to be available in Swedish for Amazon to allow it to be used there.
    See the first 2 posts in this thread for references to language variants.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

There is no Swedish for Alexa so she’s fine with UK English for Sweden (in the EU, the UK store is default for all unsupported languages. Ironic, but Amazon never thought Brexit would actually happen).

It should just work. Or has Amazon decided to link the Swedish store to Germany? Anyway, a workaround is to temporarily set your Amazon store account for digital content to .co.uk for locale en-GB. Start the subscription. Then change back.

p.s This is the LMS-lite thread.
    Last edited by philchillbill; 2022-01-23 at 03:59.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    It should just work. Or has Amazon decided to link the Swedish store to Germany? Anyway, a workaround is to temporarily set your Amazon store account for digital content to .co.uk for locale en-GB. Start the subscription. Then change back.
    Okay, so it is the location under "digital content" that's relevant here. Good to know. Unfortunately that doesn't explain why Alexa won't let me subscribe because my location under digital content is Germany:

Name:  CleanShot 2022-01-23 at 16.35.00@2x.png
Views: 51
Size:  41.9 KB

It's not as simple as that though. Because I manage my digital content on amazon.com (even though the actual amazon account is on amazon.de). If I remember correctly that was the only way to get Alexa to speak English. I remember it said something that customers on certain amazon country stores are allowed to move their digital content to amazon.com, or something, and Germany being one of them. So I followed the instructions and voilá, Alexa finally spoke english. We can choose British or American English and we can even choose English and German. But I don't think language has anything to do with it.

Well, and digital content location doesn't seem to matter either, since I assume that the the subscription works both in the USA and Germany, right? So it must be my physical location (which is Sweden). But it would have to take that either from my current delivery address (not for digital but for physical items) or from my IP-address.

Do you have any other suggestions? (I find this really hard to trouble shoot because Amazon is so unclear about which location it uses/assumes in various situations)

P.S. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
    Players: Radio, Touch, Duet (Receiver & Controller), 2 Booms, Google Nest Hub (via chromecast plugin)
    Remote control apps: Material Skin (Web UI), but also SqueezePad (iOS), Squeezecontroller (Android)
    Important plugins: Trackstat, Spicefly Sugarcube, Lazy Search Music, Custom Browse, Multi Library

Quote Originally Posted by chaug
    Okay, so it is the location under "digital content" that's relevant here. Good to know. Unfortunately that doesn't explain why Alexa won't let me subscribe because my location under digital content is Germany:

It's not as simple as that though. Because I manage my digital content on amazon.com (even though the actual amazon account is on amazon.de). If I remember correctly that was the only way to get Alexa to speak English. I remember it said something that customers on certain amazon country stores are allowed to move their digital content to amazon.com, or something, and Germany being one of them. So I followed the instructions and voilá, Alexa finally spoke english. We can choose British or American English and we can even choose English and German. But I don't think language has anything to do with it.

Well, and digital content location doesn't seem to matter either, since I assume that the the subscription works both in the USA and Germany, right? So it must be my physical location (which is Sweden). But it would have to take that either from my current delivery address (not for digital but for physical items) or from my IP-address.

Do you have any other suggestions? (I find this really hard to trouble shoot because Amazon is so unclear about which location it uses/assumes in various situations)

P.S. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
    Yes, it is (unfortunately) very unclear. Amazon confuses the concepts of nationality, preferred language, physical location, and location of any Amazon store(s) bought from.

I live in NL and Amazon used to be ok with my getting skills in the .co.uk store when there was no Amazon.nl site and we were 'expected' to shop on Amazon.de. Ironically, after they created Amazon.nl, they expect our skills to come from Amazon.de and no longer from .co.uk. Might be the same for you (.de expected). However, to be in the .de store, a skill must be available in the German language which MediaServer is not. AFAIK, this means you will not be able to subscribe unless you somehow set all your locations for shipping and digital content and whatever to either .co.uk or .com.

Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    I live in NL and Amazon used to be ok with my getting skills in the .co.uk store when there was no Amazon.nl site and we were 'expected' to shop on Amazon.de. Ironically, after they created Amazon.nl, they expect our skills to come from Amazon.de and no longer from .co.uk. Might be the same for you (.de expected). However, to be in the .de store, a skill must be available in the German language which MediaServer is not. AFAIK, this means you will not be able to subscribe unless you somehow set all your locations for shipping and digital content and whatever to either .co.uk or .com.
    So are you saying that if you only had amazon.de and amazon.nl accounts, you would not be able to subscribe to your skill (because the MediaServer skill is available in neither Dutch nor German)?

There might indeed be a similar scenario with amazon.se and amazon.de (my case). But it doesn't quite make sense, though. Because I basically had the same problem when I wasn't able to get Alexa to speak English (or get English-only apps) and that was solved by switching my digital content amazon.com and it has worked ever since. So, for example, when I buy an Echo device on Amazon.de, it gets automatically linked to my amazon.de account, but in order to "manage", I have to go to amazon.com and sign in there.

When I now log into amazon.com, I am told that I now also have the choice to manage may devices and digital content on amazon.de:

Name:  2022-01-23_21-36-07.png
Views: 39
Size:  164.3 KB

I'm not sure, but I don't believe that option was there when I made the switch to amazon.com a year or two ago. So my guess is that they are now allowing me to move my stuff back because they are now also allowing people to purchase english language content directly on amazon.de. But then again it also says under "Apps & Games" that while existing subscriptions will continue, the availability of new subscriptions is not guaranteed. Either way, nothing really indicates my being on amazon.com explains the rejection of the subscription. I will try to see if changing my country in digital contents changes anything (if I even can easily change it).

Don't you have any subscribers from Germany? As a skill-developer/seller, do you have some support at amazon that you can ask what either your customers or you can do, to make the subscription available in non-english speaking countries like, well, most European countries?

Quote Originally Posted by chaug;
    Don't you have any subscribers from Germany? As a skill-developer/seller, do you have some support at amazon that you can ask what either your customers or you can do, to make the subscription available in non-english speaking countries like, well, most European countries?
    There are no subscribers in Germany that I know of. It's just not possible unless the skill is 100% German. Amazon assumes everybody living in Germany speaks German and wants it this way. They don't cater to expats or non-patriots I guess.

Even with a developer account, I cannot test in-skill purchases by voice and have to do it by typing the text into a simulator portal. All fun and games.

Okay, I just had a longish chat with the amazon.com support and learned that the country that Alexa checks (and that she refers to when she says that something is not available in your country) is the country set under Content and Devices. As soon as I changed it to a US address, it worked.

According to the very helpful agent, in some skills the important thing is that that address matches the marketplace that you are on (in my case: amazon.com). Before, that address was set to Germany and it didn't matter (I was able to get and use all the english apps I wanted. It was only the subscription that required the US address.

Now the next step will be to figure out how to get Alexa to play music from my LMS. Too tired now to dig into that.