Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Random Songs is only getting tracks from a tiny subset of library

I've never seen this behavior before. I have a large library. Random Songs is only getting tracks from a tiny subset of them. It looks like just the most recent New Music is included. That's unclear because this past week I set up a new server and scanned in the whole library without the use of any previous databases.

It was fine till this morning, when this started happening. I looked at last night's rescan for new and changed files and it looks like it ran fine.

Any ideas?

Also, I have a 6:00AM alarm that plays random songs. All through the night last night, random songs was fine. This behavior began when it kicked in a new random songs playlist when the alarm triggered it (the purpose is a change from 66% volume to 100% volume).

I went and selected an album to play and the "Don't Stop The Music" random playlist that followed it exhibits the same bad behavior.

I use random song mix about 99% of the time. This isn't trivial for me.

Another data point:

When I go to the player's settings for "Don't Stop The Music" and change it from Random Songs to Song Mix, DSTM works properly. I don't understand the difference between these two options, and I have no way of selecting the latter from the Random Mix menu under My Music.

What do you have selected in Random Mix genres?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I also suspect that you have limited the random mix to certain genres

Check the Random Mix settings
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I also suspect that you have limited the random mix to certain genres

Check the Random Mix settings
    Thanks. There are 3,979 genres. Basically, none are checked. I never unchecked them, or had to check them before. Is there a way I can tell it to use all 3,979 of them without manually checking them? Why should this have occurred?

I see now that at the bottom of the list there is "Select All". When I do that and try to save it, the frame reloads with "414 Request-URI Too Large".
    Last edited by jstraw; 2020-01-04 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Thanks. There are 3,979 genres. Basically, none are checked. I never unchecked them, or had to check them before. Is there a way I can tell it to use all 3,979 of them without manually checking them? Why should this have occurred?

I see now that at the bottom of the list there is "Select All". When I do that and try to save it, the frame reloads with "414 Request-URI Too Large".
    How on Earth can one sane person have 3,979 genres? I wouldn't have thought it was humanly possible.
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-rc1 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    How on Earth can one sane person have 3,979 genres? I wouldn't have thought it was humanly possible.
    I make no claims for my sanity. I also didn't tag the files. It was never an issue before this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    It would be interesting to see a list of them. I had too many and retagged to limit the number to around 30. Much easier to deal with. Files can come from all over the place with variable tagging and people don't pay much attention to genres.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Unless last night's rescan put the genre count over some limit, it's a red herring. Yes, the tags aren't optimal. My concern has only to do with what changed since yesterday. Whatever the genre count was yesterday, it presented no problems.